Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The situation: Two very anti-social house cats need to be removed from their home now that their owner is deceased and they are alone. I was tasked with retrieving them but found two heating vent covers off, and I surmised the cats were hiding in the vents. They do come out to eat food left when nobody is home.

I can't see a way of catching them other than something like a raccoon trap. Any great ideas? They won't even make themselves seen or heard, so they can't be lured and caught by hand.

They will probably be euthanized because the cat rescue shelters won't take anti-social cats that can't be adopted. :(

There are live traps you can find that would do the trick. My dad is a retired biologist and used them to catch all types of critters. They worked really well -

Basically you'd put the food and water in the trap, the cats would trigger when they walk in the cage. No harm done.

Recently Dad used them to transfer some beavers to a pond on our land in CO - worked like a charm (again)

I would think you could find them on-line somewhere.

I would note that "anti-social" cats still need love too. I adopted one about 12 years ago - he was abused and 3 days away from his 10th life. He's been with me through thick and thin - and is still around. He doesn't trust strangers, it took him a year of living together to trust my wife - but ulimately he is the most faithful, trustworthy, loving creature. He has his own way of showing it, but when he does you know. He's going on about 20 or 21 years old now - I dread the day he decides to move on.

JB

my have-a-heart racoon trap needed a trigger job. a squirrel's step will send the door home now. a little polishing with the dremel is all it took. have transfered over 100 squirrels from the neighborhood to the swamp in a couple years.

I would note that "anti-social" cats still need love too. I adopted one about 12 years ago - he was abused and 3 days away from his 10th life. He's been with me through thick and thin - and is still around. He doesn't trust strangers, it took him a year of living together to trust my wife - but ulimately he is the most faithful, trustworthy, loving creature. He has his own way of showing it, but when he does you know. He's going on about 20 or 21 years old now - I dread the day he decides to move on.

That's very nice j1b, sound like a true animal lover.

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions on how to catch them, but I beg you to try and find a home for them.

Havahart traps are the way to go. Used them with great success when controlling our feral cat population. Tuna is the hot ticket for bait.

See if any of the local animal welfare agencies have a 'catch and release' program. The program catches the ferals, checks for FIV, spay/neutered, and then releases back to the original environment. In your case you'll have to find another environment but that shouldn't be a problem.

We had a similar situation a few years ago. Elderly lady was taking care of a feral colony. When she died the colony was at risk so the cats were trapped, spay/neutered, and adopted out to a farmer who was looking for a few cats to keep the rodent population down in his barn. Worked out well for all involved.

Thx for the comment. Charlie (the cat) is a cool cat.

Just so I don't mislead - I am a huge lover of animals in many regards. I am also an avid hunter. I love being outdoors, I love watching game trumble through the woods. I also love hunting them, and learning from them.

Nothing gets me in touch with reality more than being out in the field hunting what I know I will need to eat that night. It's like work - only fun and much more rewarding.

JB

I've used the raccoon-sized live catch traps with cats with great success. Got them from the Humane society for a nominal fee/deposit.

Catch and release is the way to go. I wish people would do it around here because we have a huge rodent population.

JB

Great Flying Horned Toads! your cat is 20 or 21 years old - Wow.

Had my two for 15 years - trapped by a cat lover out of a large park in Dallas TX as just weaned kittens. Saw an ad in the paper for them - Free to good home. Called the lady and went through a thorough grilling about every aspect of my life before she would even let Susie and I come look at them! :)

My wife runs a non profit doing spay/neuter and release. She recently hit the 2000 cats mark. She uses the Tru Catch traps ( 36 inch model prefered). Ideally get 2 traps (borrowed or bought) because if the two cats are really bonded to each other you may have some serious problems with one traped and one loose, such as one trying to free the other one and breaking nails and spraying blood all over the place.

No matter which trap you get, line the bottom with a towel such that it hides the trigger plate and use smelly fishy bait. DO NOT put the bate in a glass or ceramic plate as they are likely to brake it and cut themselves. Use a sheet to cover most of the trap it will make it more inviting and it will keep them calmer once trapped. Otherwise some beat themselves against the cage trying to get out.

If you need more help send me an email and you can call us and talk to my wife. She really knows her stuff.

Vlad

This is too funny! As a fish and wildlife biologist I HATE CATS!!!! My reason? Simple. They are very hard on endemic species of wildlife not to mention neotropical migrants. I lived up in the mountains, and for some reason my home on 5 acres was the frickin' cat center of the world. I had house cats pissin' on my log home, crappin' in my garden, killin my mtn. quail, grossbeaks , finches.....ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! ALot of these cats had gone feral. I caught for a period of one week, 9 cats!. Tuna didnt work, salmon didnt work, friskies didnt work. The only thing that worked for me was cheap Albertsons brand cat food in a can. It helped that a feral cat stunk up the trap first trying to pee on me as it drew others in. Place it lengthwise or parallel to a wall and leaning some plyboard over it so the plyboard is resting on the wall gets em all curious and comfortable. Get a quality trap and not a havahart brand. Go to

http://www.livetrap.com and get a nice Tomahawk Trap. If you still have problems catching them, borrow the neighbors cat and let it sit in your trap for awhile to smell it up. Oh, Hobbes is cool though.....

Barn cats are the happiest cats in the world! They get to patrol for mice and live the wild life, just like Ted Nugent. :ph34r: (I've got this buddy who adopted a wild cat and named him Ted). But hey! They also get good food and medicine, a place to call their own, and something real big to sit on top of as judge of the lesser species, which includes me.

Oh yeah, Eric. Cats are chick magnets! :wub: You can go to the local malls and "window shop" in front of the pet stores. When the pretty ones come along you have something in common to strike up a conversation about. (Only sensitive guys love cats.) You need a cat of your own dude!

Well, I saw a record number of cathouses on my trip back from SoCal through NV on highway 95.

I'm waiting to hear from the cat wranglers. Hey, doesn't 300lbGorilla have a kitty? He's in SoCal and he could use a couple more.