Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd 3 Gun Match Fail

robg2008

This month I went to an Atlanta 3 Gun match for my second 3 gun match ever and about 4th competition ever. I had purchased a +9 nordic extension tube for my JM Pro installed it but did not get a chance to test it out before I went to the match. Something was wrong with the spring and basically turned my 930 into a single shot shogtun. The match was very heavy on the shotgun side and I did HORRIBLE. Found out afterwards the spring needed cut and the ends bent down more.

Moral of the story I learned: Test your new equipment before you use it in a match!

+2

Goes along the same lines as never shoot a freshly cleaned gun either. Always good to put just a few rds through it just to make sure. Makes match day more enjoyable.

I will have to remember this tip.....I tend to clean a day or two before the match, but did not test fire.....hmmm

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

+2

Goes along the same lines as never shoot a freshly cleaned gun either. Always good to put just a few rds through it just to make sure. Makes match day more enjoyable.

I've been shooting for about 5 years now, competitively. And I've never heard this one with the exception of a FULLY disassembled 2011, or anything else for that matter. But I would have to disagree with it being a hard rule with a field stripped gun that has been cleaned that way.

Yep. Happened to me once. Just a stupid mistake on my part during reassembly. One of those clean your guns at the last minute before a match kind of thing.

I RO quite a bit as well and have seen many guns not run the first stage of the day. Most if not all were fixed quickly after. Makes for a rough start.

If you can't field strip and reassemble a gun correctly and have it run afterwards, better to learn how than make a rule which could handcuff you. Sure, parts changes should be tested before a stage is shot. But most matches provide some kind of function fire berm.

Been in many a hotel room with gun parts strewn all over the bed, reassembled and shot in a major the next day. At some matches, like IronMan, it is almost a necessity. Also with rain, or if you are having some malfunctions that a spring change can cure.

With newer shooters, I actually tell them to clean their guns before they go to a local match so that they can include that mid-match at a major if necessary. Bottom line is you have to know your guns REALLY well, not be scared of them.

Don't get me wrong. I am not scared of any gun. The occurrence I am speaking of happened to me a long time ago, I was much younger and less experienced at the time. It was a stupid mistake on my part. Just got in a hurry when I should not have been.

Since then I have disassembled and re-assembled hundreds of guns without any issues what so ever. I would not hesitate to strip and clean a gun at a match if I needed to. Whether it be mine or a buddies.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned early on as a marathon runner that you NEVER eat anything, wear anything or do anything new on race day. If you didn't do it in practice/training, don't do it that day. Took that with me to shooting - nothing on match day I haven't used or done before.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this same problem for 3 matches straight. I kept screwing with mag springs and polishing stuff and nothing worked. It ended up being the shell catch spring being too weak. Just something else to look into.

Also, I find it's best to clean a gun before a match, why wouldn't it be? Dirt and grime don't mix with precision machinery and moving parts. I don't touch the barrel or tune anything, that's where you can run into problems and that's the only rule I've heard regarding not cleaning.

This also applies to ammo.

Visualize loading up a batch of ammo with bullets from a manufacturer not previously used.

Further visualize driving across two state lines to shoot a match with this ammo.

Lastly visualize my horror when I tried to pre-load my magazines at the hotel the night before the match and all the ammo is too long for my magazines.

We were able to track down some sandpaper and my shooting buddy and I stayed up until 2:00 AM sanding down the bullets to fit.

Lesson learned.

Bill

• 1 month later...