Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't use it, you will lose it...

hopalong

Well I hit the range today, first time since middle of OCTOBER.

SOMEONE turned a skunk out on the range for it really STUNK !!! <_<

I guess that goes back to the old saying "USE IT OR LOSE IT!" ;)

I practice on Steel so I don't have to tape any holes ect. (usually 8 inch plates)

back in OCT. I had no problem of sub 1 second draw hit the plate at 10 yds with a miss just every now and then.

Today my fastest one was 1.07 and to guarantee a hit was a turtle pace of 1.25

Oh and reloads SUCKED too, time to dry fire and get back in the swing.

This is what happens when you lay your blaster down and pick up the deer blaster.

It IS a pistola though :)

(3 shots in 2 Months) but got a freezer full of VENISON :D

One thing though, my shooting Mentor said it is a whole lot easier to get it back than get it the first time... :wacko:

SAM

Sam,

I used to hunt with a m19 with a 6" barrell and "special" .357 magnums with Winchester Silvertips. Later was using my 610 with 10mm rounds. Never was fortunate enough to get a shot at any deer critters.

What do you hunt with?

dj

Dennis,

I use a Smith & Wesson 657 (41magnum) with a 6 inch barrel.

I have a 2x Boush&Lomb pistol scope on it I won at the TN Section in 2003

value of around 3-4 Ben Franklins :) (I was shooting Limited at the time)

right now using Federal 210 grn hollow points. (work good)

Have shot 1 nice 7 point and 1 doe with it, the other(shot) was a coyote(No I did not try to eat it :lol: )

The 7 point was about 80 yds away and the doe was 40 (both estimates on range)

I really like this set up, the gun groups in a scoal can at 100 yds IF you hold it still <_<

Oh well, back to the 625, deer season ends here the 9th of Jan, 2005

HOP

Sam, don't worry about that. 1.25s for a guaranteed hit to an 8 inch plate at 10y sounds good to me. Besides, those 2.5 months of not shooting doesn't mean there aren't any changes in your shooting. I think you'll find yourself improving much faster now. Shooting breaks have always meant drastic improvements for me (at least after a week or so :))

Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Read a great article by an Olympic shooting coach that periodic rest is essential for advancement in shooting skills (or any athletics for that matter). Coaches find that one of the problems (?) with shooters is that they enjoy shooting so much that they have to force competitors to take breaks. For me, shorts breaks renew competitive spirit and is a great opportunity to try new techniques.

Tell me about it. I didn't shoot a match for about 10 months, then shot Fl Open and didn't shoot again for another 7 months. If you dont use it, you will definitely lose it. Im just now starting to get back into the swing. It's taken a lot of dry/live firing to get back close. To top it off, I went from shooting my STI in Limited to shooting my Sig in Production. So this makes it even slower than it probably is.

But when you start to hit the burnout phase, you have to change something.

Burn out happens! I used to take 2-3 months off every year to renew that competitive drive. Once I started back a couple local matches and I was back to form. In fact once I took off 4 months , shot a couple locals to get ready and then shot the Alabama sectional back in 99 or 2000. Because i was off i was a little worried about being out of sync and this caused me to be more intensse and to push the envelope. I was scared that I was going to look like a fool. There were 8 GM's in limited at the match. Frank Garcia thought he won but then when we compared scores I was 27 points ahead of him. Wow I must have won. Then I got to thinking about this unknown master class shooter who I coached through the match and I knew he was close to me. We added up his points and he beat me by 6 points. His name is Wayne Seale. So I was first looser again. But the point is you can take off and get back to it in short order. It is good for you in the long run. One thing I noticed is accuracy was the thing that suffered the most but the speed was still there.

As far as burn out. If it wasnt for being in the business I probalby would have moved on several years ago. The one thing that will get you back into it and bring back the excitement like in the beginning is get your kids to shoot. I started one son 2 years ago and he is pushing b class at 14. The other started yesterday at 12. It was a winter stand & shoot match so I asked him, want to shoot. He said , yep. So he did with a glock 34 in the snow. Yes, the kids will bring back that newness.

I have found that time off can really help your shotgun shooting (clay target games). Several top shots that I know have had similar results.

When you shoot a 12ga. in practice regularly, I believe that your body and nervous system of most average people takes a real beating over time.

I once went 3 months without firing at a clay target. I just hunted and shot IDPA. When I picked up the gun again I could see my shooting becoming more consistant, and averages creeping higher.

I've never tested this theory to any extent on pistol shooting, but it might help charge the old batteries again.

Guys,

I'm finding that it's hard to get back into it. I didn't shoot a match from August (TX State Limited, which I shot while so sick I didn't know which end of the gun went downrange) until December after I broke my ankle at the Nationals. Right now I am still in rehab for the ankle and don't trust it yet. It's causing quite the uproar in my shooting. I'm being waaaaayy to conservative and making beginner mistakes. My head is not in the game. It sucks.

I'm sure it will pass with lots of dryfire and practice. The situation has to be resolved before March, when hopefully, I will get to go to Superstition Mountain.

Liota

Short story. Two groups of kids who never played basketball. 1st group shot the ball and an average was established. 2nd group shot and established their average. Group one was allowed to shoot and practice on the court. 2nd group was only allowed to imagine shooting a basketball in their heads. Each group then shot for a new average. Which group improved the most?

Yes, the kids who only visualized the process. For me, burn out has been real. Use to shoot sporting clays - 10,000 rounds one season. I shot a nice over and under and then went to a Beretta auto for reduced recoil. Burnt like toast on the game.

Now with the IDPA and USPSA shoots I on purpose limit live fire, but really enjoy dry fire practice. With dry fire you can really see what you are doing wrong. Live fire is a great way to validate your performance. Live fire still a couple times of week, but I could almost live at the range. I just have to be careful not to turn into toast again. Ramblings of an admittedly obsessive shooter.

After running and shooting a weekly match for 18 months which I designed and set up the stages alone and ROed the match I quit and did not pick up a gun for 5 months.I started playing golf again and it did not take long to realize that I liked shooting a lot more than golf.Now I shoot a match and tape targets and only RO if no one else is able to.My desire is back and I am looking forward to this year.

Hmm..I took 3 YEARS off. After 1 good practice session and 3 local matches I placed 13th overall at Area II.

I think the problem with most people, when they start shooting again, is that they try too hard to match a previous standard, which is unrealistic. Instead pay attention to what you are doing NOW. You may find, as I did, that you notice a lot of bad habits that you didn't know you had, but by staying away from the gun for awhile they become readily apparant. You may just end up faster and more accurate than before. Eg. I had my fastest match El Prez ever at my first match back. I believe it was 4.36 down 2.

I will get to go to Superstition Mountain.

Break a leg!!! :D

Was that inappropriate? I can never tell with these things. :P

Cullen,

I think I'll pass on that one. Yes, it was inappropriate, but it was funny.

:D

Liota

• 5 months later...

It is going to be hard to get back into competing after a two year lay off. I miss it more and more everyday that I don't get to shoot. I already know I will suck physically shooting but I am trying to build up my mental game while I am off from shooting.