Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Area II Desert Classic, Mesa, Az

Rich,

I concur but I think a big problem is finding a place for the A2 championship. Other than AZ, the only other likely choice is NM. Co has some new funky laws as does CA and HI. Prize table and competitor equipment issues are many. A match in the islands would be kind of nice, though. Perhaps we can get a venue down where they keep the alien technology at Roswell...

We could probably host in 'Cruces. We have a nice range here. It would have to be planned well in advance, but we have the local people and the range for it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tim, the las cruces range, even the Albuquerque range does not have the equipment or bays, or RO support to host the area II match and get any wear near what Rio puts on. St George is the only range in Area II that has to comes close to Rio and when the Nationals happens there. the RO's are pooled from across the nation. Rio has a dedicated pool of RO's who wait in line to help with the matches all year long.

I think that it would be VERY hard for another range to produce to the same high standard of overall match that the Rio staff/range produces. I have attended major matches all over the nation, including the nationals and NONE of them even hold a candle to the Area 2 match. This match is executed in all functional areas solidly (Stage design, Match Staff, Match Schedule, Prize Table, and Awards). The Rio team does an awesome job with this match year after year so why screw with a successful match?

Realistically, I think the current Area 2 match should be looked at as THE example of how things should be done for other clubs looking to host major events. Sure, other major matches are run well and fun to shoot, but none of them get the whole job done as well as the Rio Salado crew.

I think its very short sighted to want to change the location of the Area 2 match for a "Just Because" reason. If the current match staff was screwing it up, then sure, switch it up to see if another club can do better. But I really don't see that issue here.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I think that it would be VERY hard for another range to produce to the same high standard of overall match that the Rio staff/range produces. I have attended major matches all over the nation, including the nationals and NONE of them even hold a candle to the Area 2 match. This match is executed in all functional areas solidly (Stage design, Match Staff, Match Schedule, Prize Table, and Awards). The Rio team does an awesome job with this match year after year so why screw with a successful match?

Realistically, I think the current Area 2 match should be looked at as THE example of how things should be done for other clubs looking to host major events. Sure, other major matches are run well and fun to shoot, but none of them get the whole job done as well as the Rio Salado crew.

I think its very short sighted to want to change the location of the Area 2 match for a "Just Because" reason. If the current match staff was screwing it up, then sure, switch it up to see if another club can do better. But I really don't see that issue here.

The Desert Classic will continue no matter if Area II Championship moves to another range. The Desert Classic is the longest running major match in the country(world). Just because another range can't put on the same high level match isn't an excuse to leave it be. Other ranges need to step up and do it and give the shooters another major match to shoot every year. Just think if a group steps up and does it better than Rio. You are shooting the Desert Classic Match first and foremost with the added Area II piggybacking off of it.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

The self-squadding has been moved to September 20th.

I see that this years and next years matches are listed in the Self Squadding section of USPSA with a start date of Sept 15 (today) for next years match.

• 4 weeks later...

The Area 2 stages are up: http://www.riosaladodesertclassic.com/

I put all the stages into one file: attachicon.gif2014_Area2_Stages.pdf

(remember, only the files on the Rio website are "Official")

14 Stages! I hope we have enough daylight!

Enjoy,

Chuck

The last squads each day may need to change to clear glasses.

I have for the last 12 years! There are 1 or 2 more stages this year. Any backup, and it will be under the lights.

• 2 weeks later...

When I am the MD of the Norcal Section Golden Bullet, I try to do as good a job as they do at Area 2. It's been a long time since I've been there and I'll be returning this week after a 12 year span of not being able to make it back till now.. I'm lucky in Richmond that we have a pretty talented bunch of people from the Norcal region that step up and help me run our match. I am looking forward to seeing how The Desert Classic has improved over these last 12 years.

Thanks again to Paul, John, Pete, Cheryl and all the staff who put on this great match. RO's are the best around with great stages and great prize table. See you all again in March 2015. Squad 12 with the two young wonders rocked.

Pete