Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is .40 minor too slow?

cpa5oh

I have a .40 stock 2 and I usually shoot 9mm (from a glock.). Something caused me to feel slow as hell on hoser arrays this weekend - could have been me, cold hands, first match of the year...but when I pulled out the 34 in practice two days ago I was as fast on the trigger as ever. I an shooting 155 gr bullets at 135 pf.

Has anyone found .40 minor to be too slow and have it kinda screw up their timing and rhythm?

I know the feeling. It seems as though the gun is running slower, even if it is still running plenty fast enough to beat anything your brain can process... It still does through off your rhythm a bit.

It may have to do with the way the sights come up and return, lighter bullets at the same PF are going to be more snappy and often will allow the sights to snap back faster even with slightly more snappy recoil feel. When I was testing loads for 9mm I didn't like 147's felt strange/slow, I ended up with 124's. (I am considering trying 135's as a medium weight) 155's are still a lot heavier and slower than either of those at the given PF.

I usually shoot 115s over 1,500fps so last time I shot my long slide Production gun with 147s it felt like lobbing mortars for the first stage, but after I got used to the rhythm of the slide it felt a little faster. You might be able to find 135s in .40, that would help a little.

I agree with EngineerEli. I shot .40minor using a STI Eagle and a Glock 35 for a few years whenever I was shooting a game where major PF wasn't needed. A couple of years ago I switched to a 2011 9mm and last fall I replaced the G35 with a Glock 34 after discovering that my scores were better with a 9mm than with a .40minor. I don't believe I was out-driving the .40minor but mentally something was off even with running as light of a recoil spring as I could.

I think it had to do with timing and my preference for a more snappy recoil than the "slower" push of the .40minor. Purely a subjective thing but I'm happy with the results even though my wallet isn't.

I would definitely go to a lighter bullet at the same PF before loading the same bullet hotter. Will give the faster feel without the increased recoil. (And powder cost)

Maybe something like this:

http://www.snscasting.com/40-s-w-140-grain-flat-point-coated-1000ct/

Edited by EngineerEli

If you have the standard recoil spring in the gun it will feel very sluggish shooting minor loads. Combine that with a heavier gun with less felt recoil than a glock and it will seem very different .

in a stock 2 i'd try a 9 or even an 8 recoil spring. I'd never run one that light in my CZ shadow (for minor PF it seems to run nicely with between 10 and 12lb) but the stock II seems to run nicely with a light spring in minor pf loads. I was shocked henning recomends a 8 on his site.

in fact I just checked. he recommend a 6lb recoil spring for under 140pf... so maybe start with an 8 and try lighter if needed.

I was running a 12lb in my stock II (shooting both 38 super and 9mm both minor PF around 135 using 135gn or 124gn pills). it was definitely too heavy.

I recently bought a 8,9 and 10 to try. started with the 8 and it was very nice. gun cycled at a more 'normal' speed for me. sights returned better etc. I'd suggest maybe buy an 8 and a 6 and try them.

One thing to check is what does the timer say? Feeling slow and being slow can be two entirely different things.

Playing with the recoil spring is more to adjust how your sights return after recoil than to change the feel. Feel means nothing sights and timers mean everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

One thing to check is what does the timer say? Feeling slow and being slow can be two entirely different things.

Playing with the recoil spring is more to adjust how your sights return after recoil than to change the feel. Feel means nothing sights and timers mean everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

It's a good point. Shooting stages I'm faster with the Glock 9mm, but that could be because of transitions being faster with the lighter gun. I seem to remember struggling to get under .20 splits on a bill drill with the Stock 2 .40 minor while I was getting under .18 easily with the Glock.

I agree you need to put this on time to really know the difference. I am willing to bet its all in your head. I am sure a shot timer will verify it. Try and compare using similar guns side by side though, like a Glock 34 and 35. With a similar trigger and power factor I bet you will have an "Ah Ha" moment.

I agree with Brian also, there is nothing smoother than a properly "sprung" 2011 shooting .40 minor. I use a STI Eagle shooting 155 grain hollow base Berry's Bullets going about 875 fps.

• 4 weeks later...

If you shoot 155 gr 40 Minor and 147 gr 9mm Minor side by side you wouldnt know the difference. Assuming the same type of gun.

This. I load 155s for 40 minor for myself and 147s for my dads 9. Difference is neglegible. Both feel great and have just the right combo of snap and push.

Remember what you feel may well not be what the clock proves. I am reminded that the stages where I have flowed felt slow but were always quicker. Not saying this is the case here but relying on how things feel to determine which is faster is not the best path. Personally for feel, I shoot fatboy 180s at about 145pf and love it.