Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 38 sc that much better than 9 major

joedirt

Actually, you can ream the 9mm chamber to take 38super and it will run fine, but it becomes a brass bulging machine.

Similar to running 38 super in a 9x23 chamber.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not true! (9mm is tapered, Super/SC is not).

I stand corrected and confused. I got out the calipers, the reloading book, and every barrel in .355 I have as well as loaded and fired brass and I can't find a reason it would cause a problem rechambering. I do recall a conversation with my gunsmith (I can't recall the particulars) that might explain why my 38 super barrels have no problem fiting my glock fired 9mm brass or loaded 9mm rounds (factory). I have fired the crap out of my 38 super brass with very few bulged cases so I'm assuming my chamber is pretty close to spec.

Upon inspection of my 38 super loaded rounds I found a taper .372 -.380, and factory Remington 9mm ran .370-.380

I don't want to hijack this thread so delete or move this if you feel it's to far off topic.

I still say 9 major is the way to go. Even if you can't re-chamber (without drawbacks) ,as they both shoot pretty much the same. You might even be able to smooth out the snappy felt recoil in major nine given a diffrent load or spring set up. I only borrowed the gun I shot for a few stages but even with the diffrent feel it didn't seem to effect my shooting.

Actually, you can ream the 9mm chamber to take 38super and it will run fine, but it becomes a brass bulging machine.

Similar to running 38 super in a 9x23 chamber.

Super is .384 just ahead of the extractor groove (SAAMI), 9mm is .391. While its technically possible to shoot a cob job like this, I don't think its advisable for an open gun. YMMV. If one is willing to accept slop, one might as well buy a super and shoot both 9mm and 38 super/SC through it, which also technically works.

This is a honest question. Would a person at any given skill level shoot better with sc over 9 maj? I have been shooting open for about two years and have improved when I practice. I have two young kids so I can't put as much time into it as it would take to get as good as I would like to be. Although I have shot a sc, it's been a long time and I didn't think that it shot any better than my 9major open gun. I'm thinking of going to limited just to remove that one, unknown. To me it's not worth the extra cost but, I would like other opinions. I you are die hard in one direction or the other, that won't help. I want to hear from sc guys who were surprised at how 9major guns shot, or 9 major guys who say, wow, I never knew sc was so much better... send it Ps,, I don't wanna hear about how this subject was beaten to death ten years ago... new shooters, techniques and opinions have come about in the past ten years..

No, as long as the 9mm is equally reliable.

How many Open Nationals have been won with a 9 Major? How many World Shoots? How many serious contenders for these shoot 9x19?

Ans key: Zero, One (1990), and very few.

So what? That proves absolutely NOTHING.

BTW:

2013 Open Nats: 2 KC EUSEBIO A36570 22 GM Major 2212.7537 98.013% (Shooting a 9mm Open Glock!)

How many Open Nationals have been won with a 9 Major? How many World Shoots? How many serious contenders for these shoot 9x19?

Ans key: Zero, One (1990), and very few.

So what? That proves absolutely NOTHING.

BTW:

2013 Open Nats: 2 KC EUSEBIO A36570 22 GM Major 2212.7537 98.013% (Shooting a 9mm Open Glock!)

Yep very good point if that was the guideline for choosing a calibre it would also apply for choosing a open gun and so we would have to sell our custom 2011`s and buy a Tanfoglio gold custom

Because that is the gun that won 5 World Shoots .

So that gun must be superior but i don`t think we would do that ???

When I was talking with a well known 'super squad' shooter earlier this year he indicated that very few sponsored shooters have deals any more that include large quantities of free ammo ...

How many national/world champs pay for (or pick up) their own brass?

I Know one world champion and us national champion that does after every practice session

Just saying I shoot both. And shoot my sc gun better. They are also drastically different in design though

When I was talking with a well known 'super squad' shooter earlier this year he indicated that very few sponsored shooters have deals any more that include large quantities of free ammo ...

true fact. I was told the same thing by a former world champion about three weeks ago.

Comparing things to shooters of KC's caliber is kind of silly. Put a rubber band gun in the guys hands and he'd still mop the floor with 90% of us all (me included). I've shot them both......and I sucked with them both (C open class). I honesty didn't feel one was better over the other, but that is only my opinion. Personally, I still shoot 9 major simply for the brass availability.

Comparing things to shooters of KC's caliber is kind of silly. Put a rubber band gun in the guys hands and he'd still mop the floor with 90% of us all (me included). I've shot them both......and I sucked with them both (C open class). I honesty didn't feel one was better over the other, but that is only my opinion. Personally, I still shoot 9 major simply for the brass availability.

Which just proves that 9mm vs. .38S or .38SC, and arguing that none of the top shooters use 9mm is a stupid argument.

It's the indian, not the arrow!

I'm not even sure that I have any place posting in this thread, but here's my 2 cents on this subject.

Either round can get you there.

The choice between any of the three rounds (or more if you add the others) boils down to which drawbacks are less offensive to you.

Some may be little pickier to load with limited component availability; 9mm, powder. But it can be done.

Some may have a slightly higher component cost; 38 SC,TJ, etc re:brass. Not a whole lot higher in the grand scheme.

I've heard it said that the 9mm can be a bit more challenging to make run as reliably as the other rounds. But it can be done.

Ultimately, the option is wide open and there is no "Right" answer. Pick the one you like best and go shoot it.

Edited by wgj3

Putting 9mm in an Open gun is like putting 87 octane in a Ferrari, sure you can do it but why would you? :D

Putting 38sc in a MODERN open gun is like putting high octane 120+ racing fuel in a street car OVERKILL it runs great but you don`t need it.

Edited by Tino2212