Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911, STI or Para?

xdmjohn

I've narrowed my 1911 single stack choices to a STI trojan in 40 or a Para Pro comp 40. Anyone have any experience with either? I know the Para is a new model but it looks like its built with quality parts.

I shoot a .45 Trojan and my buddy shoots a .40 Trojan. Good, solid pistols, but will need to have a fiber Optic front sight installed, and will definitely need a trigger job. Only FTF was my problem as my bullets were a little too long and hitting the rifling. Ate any factory ammo up with no problem.

Both of our Trojans have a ton of finish wear from Kydex holsters. Trojans are pretty knows for the finish rubbing off. You can either stress about it, have it finished with something else or consider it a badge of honor.

I'd be interested as well in what other people say about the new Para's.

I have a Trojan in 45 ACP.. It has been a great gun from day one, no problems. I bought mine from Shooters Connection with ambi safeties and a F/O front sight.. I had the trigger done with the factory parts at 2 1/2 lbs.

Edited by Jaxshooter

This should even be a question. Buy a STI. I have 2 STI's and they shoot great. I've had 2 Para's plus the AR they made. Sold all of them the quality just was not there.

Not counting what STI does for the sport. Between guns on prize table to being the sponsor of the Texas Mulitigun Match this weekend.

It also helps they are neighbors.

Edited by The Donald

I've shot both - I prefer the STI Trojan CRP from Dawson Precision. That pistol is pretty hard to beat for the money IMO. But with that said, the Para is pretty dang good as well. However, both pistols IMO need work to some degree, such as the triggers. But I think things like that are personal preference options. I prefer SVI triggers, medium size and Swenson safeties, all of which would be replaced on any of those when I bought them. I don't think you could go wrong with either one really.

I had a Trojan 40 that I never could get to run. I sold it before I knew about Tripp's ramp mod. I recently bought a Pro Comp 40. As said above it does need a trigger job & a magwell. I replaced the series 80 parts with a shim. Mine will feed empty cases. I'm reserving final judgement until I get the trigger done.

I think both will serve well, & both will need massaging. With the $ 100 rebate Para is offering, it was a deal too good to pass up.

Edited by OPENB

Anything you purchase will need a little money for tuning to suit you. That said fit and quality of internals in the STI are better than the Para. There's a reason most custom pistols are built on the STI platform.

I own 2 Trojans (40 and 45) both are accurate and reliable. I also own a Ranger II (9mm), which is a Trojan with a 4.25" barrel and the same for it.

I've shot a couple of Para's and haven't been impressed by the accuracy and one had a stoppage issue, but in all fairness to that, it could have been the ammo.

For those that say the STI has better fit, finish, and internals than the Para - are you talking Paras built in the past, or specifically the new Pro Comp? Here's how I compare the STI Sentry I had to my new Para Pro Comp:

Finish: the Sentry was blued and the Para is Ionbond. Both were equally nice from a finish quality standpoint (matter of choice on what finish you think looks better), but there is little doubt that the Ionbond will outlast the bluing. And once the Ionbond does wear through, the Para frame and slide are stainless.

Machining: I add this as part of the finish picture. I'll call the frames even. The Para slide however is machined much nicer than the STI was. Both STI 1911s I've had have had helical tool marks on the inside of the slide whereas the Para is nice and smooth. In fact I have a high dollar custom built on an STI slide and Master series frame and it's slide has those tool marks too. The Para did have one small burr on the inside of the frame in the channel where the barrel link sits. I knocked that off with my thumbnail and you'd never know it now. Not that any of this affects the performance or even quality, but you'd notice the difference if you compared the two side by side.

Fit: I honestly don't recall how my Sentry was, so I can't make a comparison here. I can say that if my Para were any tighter, with frame to slide or the barrel fit, it simply wouldn't run. There is no perceptible movement of the slide relatively to the frame, either laterally or vertically. The same with the barrel. With the slide closed I can't move the barrel either by pushing on it in the ejection port area nor the bushing area.

Internals: this is more of a question mark. The Para has an EGW HD extractor which seems nicer than what was in the STI. I beleive my STI had an S7 sear which I know is nice. I have no idea what ignition components are in the Para. Good or bad, I can't make a comparison here.

I bought my Para as a backup to my custom so it doesn't get a ton of use. But I think it's a heck of a gun for the money. I also think a lot of people that knock the Para do so on their (past?) reputation. Today's Pro Comp is a very nice pistol, and I'm very picky. As soon as I see one of the 9mm Pro Comps I'll pick up one of those too.

I have owned both and sold the new Para Pro Comp 40. The STI was not as pretty as the para (ionbond) but it had better fit and had better fit parts. The para needs complete new parts for the trigger and the STI needs a little spring tuning. Also on the Para the firing pin stop looked looked like it had no hand fit and was hammered into slide (hard) it also had a loose barrel bushing (compared to the STI). The Para broke after the first 150 rounds. When it got back from warranty I sold it. Thanks my .02 anyway. Good luck.

I own two Trojans and a Para 1640. Based on my experience, I would not bet my life on a Para. The one I got was pure junk. The point about STI is they are built by people who deliver hand fitted guns all day long. Paras are mass made guns which means you get some good ones and some complete boat anchors.

EDIT TO ADD: my Para was bought around 2005.

Edited by bountyhunter

I own two Trojans and a Para 1640. Based on my experience, I would not bet my life on a Para. The one I got was pure junk. The point about STI is they are built by people who deliver hand fitted guns all day long. Paras are mass made guns which means you get some good ones and some complete boat anchors.EDIT TO ADD: my Para was bought around 2005.

Sti's are mass produced pistols also. Which model sti is handfitted ?