Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing the hits with a rimfire

agksimon

I am 69 and I have trouble hearing the hits with my rimfire pistol, while shooting the steel challenge, even with electronic earmuffs.

I can hear them just fine if I am the RO or a bystander, but when I'm the shooter, I find myself doing a double shot on the plates, just to be sure. The cheap paint they use, doesn't cover well enough to see the hits. I'm thinking of carrying my own Rust-Oleum with me.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

My hearing is going too. The goal with Steel Challenge is to call your shots. Your eyes should be moving to the next target as soon as you break the shot. I can hear well enough to know when I miss though. What kind of hearing protection are you using? I double plug for centerfire and single for rimfire. BTW, even the best electronic protectors can't recover fast enough to hear the "ring".

You should be calling your shots not looking or listening for them. You are loosing a ton of time looking or trying to hear your hits. You can practice on a paper target set up far enough away where you can't see the .22 holes. After each shot mark where you think it hit the target on a clean target. . After you shoot a couple of mags compare the target to the target you marked the shots on.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I can hear the pings when when Pro Ears Gold and Peltor Sport-Tacticals (or Tactical-Sports... one of 'em) but that's about it. Pro Ears work better, but cost twice as much, if not more.

Having said that, if I'm waiting for the sound, I've already lost. If you're just doing it for fun, though, see if you can pick up a pair of the Peltors for about $100 and crank up all the way.

Are we allowed by the Steel Challenge rules to do that?

It woukd be a sorry SOB, that was concered that this fellow would actually win.

I doubt that I will ever be at a match with this gentleman, but I have been at matches with lots of new shooters.

So will I be penalized if I try to help out these folks by calling out misses?

So will I be penalized if I try to help out these folks by calling out misses?

I guess it really depends on the RO/MD/RM. I did a search of the rule book for coaching and assistance and couldn't find either word so I skimmed through it looking for any rule that may apply. Depending on the RO I suppose you could technically DQ a competitor other than the one shooting the course of fire under rule 8.3.2.2. I suppose the RO could consider calling out misses as "interference with the operation of a course of fire and/or a competitor's attempt thereof"

Given that steel challenge is peanuts compared to USPSA matches I don't think anyone is going to have a beef over someone calling out misses to help someone out. For me personally I don't want anyone telling me hit or miss when I'm shooting. To me that's part of the game - calling my own shots.

I am 69 and I have trouble hearing the hits with my rimfire pistol, while shooting the steel challenge, even with electronic earmuffs.

I can hear them just fine if I am the RO or a bystander, but when I'm the shooter, I find myself doing a double shot on the plates, just to be sure. The cheap paint they use, doesn't cover well enough to see the hits. I'm thinking of carrying my own Rust-Oleum with me.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Luckily I can usually hear the hits but I understand your issues. At one of the clubs I shoot the design of the targets is such that if one hits directly on the bolt that holds the plate, there is practically no sound. The shooters that tell you to call your shots and go on are correct to a point. What they don't say is while calling their shots they still rely to a point on hearing the hit as they move to the next target to confirm what their eyes have told them. I too rely on calling the shot but if that hit is on the bolt I spoke of, now I mentally question that shot. It definitely distracts the concentration. Another part of the equation for the ones that tell you that you should be calling your shots is when you break the shot in the center of the target, is easy to call the shot good and go on to the next target. But what about that shot that broke near the edge. It site is nice to hear the hit (or miss) as you transition to the next target. Now for your case, I would first check on louder/better electronic earmuffs if you haven't done so already. Dwight Edited by Dwight Stearns

1. The guys who are "truly" in competition to win won't have anybody calling their shots for them. In my case, when I'm shooting with a new guy, a lot of times they try to call a miss for me (usually on plate 4), but I've already either made up the shot or hit the stop plate before they've got the sound of the first letter out of their mouth. That's usually the last time they try to help me out.

2. For the newbie who is probably using Steel Challenge as their first attempt to shoot competitively (I advise a beginning competitor to start with Steel before advancing to Run'n'Gun), then I have no problem at all with an RO who is using this as a learning opportunity and using the opportunity to encourage that shooter to improve and stay in the sport. Once they've got a few matches under their belt, then it's time to say "we're losing the crutch" and let them sink or swim on their own. Frankly, at that point, every shooter I've done this with has me stop calling the misses after the first match by their own volition.

Let's face it guys, I've had plenty of experiences where I've sat on the bench twiddling my thumbs while a dad walks his 12 year old through every shot of every run of every stage. I don't go and complain to the guy or the RO afterwards. I thank that dad for teaching his kid how to shoot. We should consider adopting that same attitude for the voting-aged beginning shooter as well.

Edited by jkrispies

• 3 months later...

At a level one match you are allowed to help a shooter if he asks for help ...

However, you can be deaf and be a world champion steel challenge shooter ... Why are you waiting to hear something to figure out if you hit something?

Use your eyes and your sights and learn to call the shot ... That's what they are thre for ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem as well, but for me it's more related to hearing all the other hits on steel coming from one of the 6 other bays that are also shooting at the same time I am. I hear hits all the time and sometimes the timing of hits coming from the next bay over seem to confuse me. I don't know what would help that short of stepping up to a big enough caliber that I can see the plates jump...

If there is money on the table no, it's unsportsmanlike. When payback is going by Lewis system I would hate to affect the placing of even the bottom group of shooters. At a league match we help the new shooters and even let them refire if the wheels come off.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. The guys who are "truly" in competition to win won't have anybody calling their shots for them. In my case, when I'm shooting with a new guy, a lot of times they try to call a miss for me (usually on plate 4), but I've already either made up the shot or hit the stop plate before they've got the sound of the first letter out of their mouth. That's usually the last time they try to help me out.

2. For the newbie who is probably using Steel Challenge as their first attempt to shoot competitively (I advise a beginning competitor to start with Steel before advancing to Run'n'Gun), then I have no problem at all with an RO who is using this as a learning opportunity and using the opportunity to encourage that shooter to improve and stay in the sport. Once they've got a few matches under their belt, then it's time to say "we're losing the crutch" and let them sink or swim on their own. Frankly, at that point, every shooter I've done this with has me stop calling the misses after the first match by their own volition.

Let's face it guys, I've had plenty of experiences where I've sat on the bench twiddling my thumbs while a dad walks his 12 year old through every shot of every run of every stage. I don't go and complain to the guy or the RO afterwards. I thank that dad for teaching his kid how to shoot. We should consider adopting that same attitude for the voting-aged beginning shooter as well.

BIG +1