Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small primer 45 brass

dferrier

So what is up with the 45 ACP brass with small primers?

Recently I had a batch which turned out to be about 35% small primers which is really annoying when your setup is for LPs.

I was using the 650 so I was able to kind of feel when the large primer bumped on the up stroke (which really made me slow down after first couple ruined cases), but still...

So is this going to be more of a short term thing do you guys think?

Will 45 go all small primer eventually?

Just throw them in the trash so they cant be reused. Most who try them switch back to L/P when they find out how inconsiderate it is to other shooters. Its not that big of a problem in my area most are aware of the issue and use the correct primer.

Or do what a friend does and load them for match/training ammo, that way no worries of losing them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Quack

I use SP .45 Federal brass exclusively, that way you only have to stock one primer size - I load 9mm,.45 and .223 - and use Tula KVB-223 primers.

I guess that eventually most, in not all, .45 will be SP.

Another advantage is you never have to change the primer set up on your press !!!

That will never happen, it was introduced reached its peak and now in decline. Which in my opinon is a very good thing, this is due to the problems it causes others who reload the 45 you now have to inspect every case and if one slips by it locks up your press. I'm glad it makes life easier for those of you that use it but for the rest of us its nothing but a pain in ass, I only ask one thing try and police "all" of your brass so that it doesnt end up in my bag.

Edited by Rick88

I'm saving mine up for a lost brass match. I don't separate them until I feel it not take a primer in my 650.

I imagine those with a 1050 would be really pi**ed though...

Edited by Rimcrew

While I don't enjoy sorting them, I use both. There have been times where primers were scarce and I had to use the other to complete some of my loads. I save then up and when I get enough I will do a batch and mark them.

I'm saving mine up for a lost brass match. I don't separate them until I feel it not take a primer in my 650.

I imagine those with a 1050 would be really pi**ed though...

I found out the hard way about SPP 45 brass. One worked its way into position on my 1050 press and detonated when I attempted to seat the primer. Really was loud in my metal shop and shook me up good. After my ears stopped ringing, I inspected everything and that is when I discovered the SPP. I went through the casefeeder and found six more in there. Had to sit down and visually inspect a five gallon bucket full of 45 cases. I found a total of two more in that bucket. I think I would have felt it resist more in my 550 press but that beast 1050 just tried to power the LPP into the smaller hole.

Just throw them in the trash so they cant be reused. Most who try them switch back to L/P when they find out how inconsiderate it is to other shooters. Its not that big of a problem in my area most are aware of the issue and use the correct primer.

Yeah, what brass I use has nothing to do with my consideration of other shooters.

That will never happen, it was introduced reached its peak and now in decline. Which in my opinon is a very good thing, this is due to the problems it causes others who reload the 45 you now have to inspect every case and if one slips by it locks up your press. I'm glad it makes life easier for those of you that use it but for the rest of us its nothing but a pain in ass, I only ask one thing try and police "all" of your brass so that it doesnt end up in my bag.

Since a lot of indoor ranges mandate "NT" type ammo and a lot of what is available out there as once fired is from indoor ranges, I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

I went in whole hog. Sold all my LP brass and bought SP. I can load .45, .40, .38spl, and .223 with one primer and two powders.

KISS

I also will take all SP .45 brass, and I use it in revolver only. So look at it as your throwing it away, and it will never bother another shooter, even at a lost brass match. I'll happily pay shipping.

I seldom see anyone shooting a 45 revolver so I never gave that much thought. I really dont like throwing away good brass but I as well as everyone I know throws it away so people dont lock up their press or worst get injured from a kaboom like the above post. I will now reconsider this knowing that it could benefit revolver shooters without having adverse effects on everyone else loading 45. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I think there has to be a better answer than banning coal to generate electricity like the EPA wants to do, but sorting things that can be reused by someone (like brass cartridge cases) and having clean air and water works for me.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Been separating them for a couple years now. It's a part of shooting 45. However, first time hearing someone say it is inconsiderate to shoot 45 spp cases. Mark your brass and only pick up yours if that is such a huge problem. Then you won't pick up anyone's spp brass.

All Blazer is small primer and is by far the biggest selling range ammo around here. Over the past couple of years, it has increased to the point that the mix is about 60/40 LP to SP so I've gotten used to sorting it and using it.