Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is there a central authority that explains newbie definitions?

So basically I've been trying to learn up on stuff the last several months, and have found that there is apparently this huge learning curve on gun stuff. For example, there doesn't seem to be a place that just defines basic terms, such as what the 180 is, or what an "out of battery" loading modification for a shotgun is, what the basic strategy for scoring decently in USPSA would be, etc. Google and forum searches often bring back random and vague chit-chat that wastes time for one, but more importantly, sometimes lets you get wrong ideas in your head. So, is there a book you can study that just lays it all out from scratch? I know there's a 3-gun book but it seemed to be mostly a list of the pros and cons of purchasable equipment as well as the history of the sport. Is there anything else worth reading that would jump start someone's understanding and cut out months worth of wading through forums asking dumb questions?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

No such thing as a dumb question :bow:

the 180 means that you can't point your firearm back towards the viewers/shooters.

There's an imaginary line that runs 90 degrees from facing forward to each side,

and you can't swing past that point.

decent strategy for shooting USPSA is your first match is all about safety, safety,

safety; your 2nd match is all about safety, accuracy; your third match is all about

safety and hitting all the targets as quickly as you can do so safely. Fourth match,

you're on your own as to strategy.

Sorry, besides the rule book for USPSA, I don't know of any such source.

BUT, ask away .... :cheers:

decent strategy for shooting USPSA is your first match is all about safety, safety,

safety; your 2nd match is all about safety, accuracy; your third match is all about

safety and hitting all the targets as quickly as you can do so safely. Fourth match,

you're on your own as to strategy.

I went to a match thinking that accuracy was a huge factor. So, I aimed hard and tried to poke two little holes right in the middle of every target. Didn't always do that, but, I did end up with the second highest point total. Much to my embarassment, this really didn't help much at all, as I came in towards the bottom in the results, which is totally fine being the first match, but still, the point was that I was rather shocked to see that the accuracy portion didn't help nearly as much as I expected. So, that's what I was getting at, I've never seen a decent explanation of how to score better other than "go faster, stop aiming as hard".

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

What you need is a mentor. Someone local with some experience and a willingness to help. That will help you a great deal.

Unlike other forums, asking questions here will get you answers rather than snide comments and useless information.

One thing I strongly suggest is take you questions to the search section of this forum first. If it is a question in your mind, chances are very good someone else has asked it. Read what they got for answers and then ask what you need to ask to clarify the answer.

Best of luck

A local mentor would be the best, easiest, quickest way of getting what you want. But to explain the scoring a little bit. Accuracy is important. Time is also important. Divide points by seconds and you get something called Hit Factor. This is what they use to score the stage. So mathematically you can see if you losing some points but saving more time will help you for any given stage. After a bit you will get the hang of it but as RGS said, a mentor could explain all of this very easily.

Good luck and be safe.

Accuracy is a big factor. Speed will come as you develop your competitive shooting skills. If this were easy, it would not be worth doing.

I took a class from Mike Seeklander at USSA in Tulsa a few years ago and I am better for it. I am sure there is some thing available in your area.

I love your strategy! Two holes in the target,.....can't go wrong there.

With that said, USPSA is Hit Factor scoring. This is total points divided by time. Highest Hit Factor wins. Soooo,.... Let's say each target is shot twice and each hole is worth up to 5 points, so 10 points per target. This is truly the points on standard paper targets by the way. Now let's say there are 2 targets as described above in the stage, that's 20 points. I shoot the stage in 5 seconds and get all the points, 20 points divided by 5 seconds equals a HIt Factor of 4 or as we write it, 4HF. Now you shoot it in 4 seconds and get all 20 points. 20 points divided by 4 seconds equals a 5HF. You win, highest hit factor wins and your 5hf beats my 4hf.

With that out of the way, now you can see that the best STRATEGY is to get the most points in the least time. That's the game. Most points least time.

Efficiency is key in stage planning. Shooting A's is key. Doing both is priceless!!

There is no other way to score better, that's why you have never heard anyone say there is. It will always come down to being efficient and shooting A's.

I can tell you that you will hear all kinds of little mantra's people have come up with to help and some are great, some are absolutely counter productive. Despite arguments to the contrary...... Here are two that I consider the worst of the worst. I actually cringe when I hear them.

1. Go slow and get your hits.

I want to smack people right in the cake hole when I hear this, and you will hear this a lot. It's pure hogwash and guess what, you just proved it to yourself by doing it, didn't work did it? Got great hits though didn't you? That will NEVER work in a game with HF scoring.

Never go slow, ever! In fact, remove that word "SLOW" from your shooting mind. Also remove the word FAST. These types of words lead to a SPEED focus. Flex is really good on this subject and in fact probably invented the terminology. Try a search on speed focus. Should find some real good info. Just move as efficiently as you can move, see more, and shoot A's. Pretty simple. Yes in practice you need to get your movement speed up, at the match that speed should be natural, because it's how you practice, and you shouldn't even have to think about it. It becomes how you move, that's all......efficient.

2. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Pure horse crap. Slow is .........well,.. slow, and smooth is,.......well,....efficient. Some A's, most M's and almost all GM's look smooth because they are efficient! So that little expression leads to something we just covered called a speed focus. Again, all thoughts of speed should be banished from your mind. Completely. You need to get your movement pace defined well in practice. It should become a part of you, it's just how you shoot and move.

In this way you can tell yourself things that are positive and will work. Some that I tell myself before I shoot a stage and have found beneficial .........

1. Shoot A's at my natural speed. (Actually stole this from Steve Anderson, ...get his books by the way)

Since you practice at home, this "speed" is aggressive and efficient and NATURAL, it just happens for you without thinking.

2. See the sights.

Again, since you have practiced movement at home, your focus can be on getting the hits, "seeing" the sights.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me any questions, I may not have the answers but I'll help anyone if I can.

Edited by Chris iliff

So basically I've been trying to learn up on stuff the last several months, and have found that there is apparently this huge learning curve on gun stuff. For example, there doesn't seem to be a place that just defines basic terms, such as what the 180 is, or what an "out of battery" loading modification for a shotgun is, what the basic strategy for scoring decently in USPSA would be, etc. Google and forum searches often bring back random and vague chit-chat that wastes time for one, but more importantly, sometimes lets you get wrong ideas in your head. So, is there a book you can study that just lays it all out from scratch? I know there's a 3-gun book but it seemed to be mostly a list of the pros and cons of purchasable equipment as well as the history of the sport. Is there anything else worth reading that would jump start someone's understanding and cut out months worth of wading through forums asking dumb questions?

It sounds to me like you are suggesting some type of Wiki as a cohesive knowledge repository versus digging through forum topics for tidbits.

I think this is a great suggestion as you frequently see the same questions come up again and again.

I don't think a Wiki and an associated like to a FAQ page would be difficult to put together but it could be very valuable for forum users.

It sounds to me like you are suggesting some type of Wiki as a cohesive knowledge repository versus digging through forum topics for tidbits.

I think this is a great suggestion as you frequently see the same questions come up again and again.

I don't think a Wiki and an associated like to a FAQ page would be difficult to put together but it could be very valuable for forum users.

Yes, a wiki would be awesome. I want to read about things that I have never thought of asking about before. I also want to go to one place and get the "official" definition and explanation instead of sorting through random and potentially incomplete chit-chat or having to ask questions non-stop. There's so many things that many people seem to expect you to know, but nowhere that just lays it all out for you all at once.

Here's my 2 cents worth...paypal gifts accepted :roflol:

+1 on the comments about learning from local shooters. But don't treat everyone's advice as equal. If you aren't "GM in a year" focused, then all that GM in a year stuff may lead you down a path that just doesn't fit. Similarly, if you are very competitive, "relax and have fun your first year while you absorb everything you can" advice is way off base too.

So if you're asking questions here or seeking advice at a match, let people know your personal bias. It'll help you get the answers that are better for you. You'll still hear from others who try to nudge you to a different path.

While (today) I personally agree with Chris above, his advice is only really spot on for those who follow practice routines between matches. I had no interest in practicing my first year or so in the sport. I was there to have fun and learn and that was enough. So for me in those early days, advice that used the words speed and 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' were both valid and useful.

As for what your strategy should be, there are a couple ways to answer that question.

As others have pointed out, the score is no more complicated than points divided by time. The strategy that may not be immediately obvious is that technically the numbers favor someone establishing a pace that juuuuuust challenges their ability to hit all As. I know I'm going to get jumped on that one. My point isn't that we shouldn't all hit As. My point is that if I can hit all As in 16 seconds, my Hit Factor will be better if I hit all As and 2 Cs in 14 seconds.

The second way is exactly where Chris' advice is taking you. How to approach developing skills outside of the match that steadily increase your match performance.

Another way to look at it is that speed is worth more than points. However, the old saying "you can't miss fast enough to win" is accurate 98% of the time. Reason I say 98% is that in some rare cases you could miss a shot and still finish the rest of the stage fast enough to win.

Here's my 2 cents worth...paypal gifts accepted :roflol:

+1 on the comments about learning from local shooters.

While (today) I personally agree with Chris above, his advice is only really spot on for those who follow practice routines between matches.

As others have pointed out, the score is no more complicated than points divided by time. The strategy that may not be immediately obvious is that technically the numbers favor someone establishing a pace that juuuuuust challenges their ability to hit all As. I know I'm going to get jumped on that one. My point isn't that we shouldn't all hit As. My point is that if I can hit all As in 16 seconds, my Hit Factor will be better if I hit all As and 2 Cs in 14 seconds.

The second way is exactly where Chris' advice is taking you. How to approach developing skills outside of the match that steadily increase your match performance.

There are some good points about strategy above. Notice the "2 C's" comment. That is spot on. It is up to you to find the pace that allows you to shoot somewhere above 90% of all points, but definitely not 100%, as discussed, that'd be too slow. I have found that 92-94% of all pts is my sweet spot. You'll hear this echoed all the time. A good strategy is to shoot a stage at a pace that gets you 90-94% of all the pts. Then work on increasing that pace constantly in practice.

My main point is make your "pace" something you don't think about.

A lot of this entirely depends on what you really want to accomplish. If you are competitive, or want to be, I would also suggest Lanny Bassham's "With Winning in Mind". He happens to be an Olympic Champion shooter and an authority on what and how to think while competing. Great stuff and very easy to digest and understand. My game went way up after reading his book and I learned a ton of stuff.

Another way to look at it is that speed is worth more than points. However, the old saying "you can't miss fast enough to win" is accurate 98% of the time. Reason I say 98% is that in some rare cases you could miss a shot and still finish the rest of the stage fast enough to win.

Not always. Lower hit factor stages (ones that generally take longer to complete) will generally favor points over speed. Higher hit factor stages, you had better have a low tide to have a chance at winning.

your first match is all about safety Fourth match, you're on your own.

I did end up with the second highest point total. I came in towards the bottom in the results,

What type gun are you shooting?

Are you comparing your standings to OPEN and Limited shooters?

You should compare yourself to people shooting same type gun you are.

And, for a first match, you did it all correctly - hit everything, safely. :bow:

Not always. Lower hit factor stages (ones that generally take longer to complete) will generally favor points over speed. Higher hit factor stages, you had better have a low tide to have a chance at winning.

Even on higher hit factor stages, points matter......

If you can't win the stage (or win the match on that stage) you sure can lose it by hurrying.....

Some stages you gain match points, some you lose match points, some you stay (relatively) even.....

Especially early on -- when there are weaknesses in your game -- focus on not giving up points on stages that force you to deal with weaknesses....

Here is a simple example:

Lets say you have a 100 point stage and shoot 100% in 10 seconds = HF 10

Now a shark gets 50 points in 5 seconds = HF10

But if the shark gets 50 points in 4.9 seconds = HF10.204

The slower shooter has no way to get more points, as he/she already has the max available, but, by speeding up just a little bit the shark can get a better hit factor.

My point being that there is a limit on the points, no limit on the speed other than your own abilities.

Sometimes I don't understand hit factors. I have shot stages before and had somebody say that I shot the stage way too fast. Other times they tell me I shot it too slow. I am amazed by a few guys I know who can walk up to stage and say something like, "we need to shoot this in 13 seconds and take the C's on that target over there instead of trying for A's".

I have told new shooters to go slow and get your hits but I usually say something more like," if you are shooting nice little groups in the A zone then you need to speed up. Then if you start getting more C's than A's you need to slow down a little"

Here is a simple example:

Lets say you have a 100 point stage and shoot 100% in 10 seconds = HF 10

Now a shark gets 50 points in 5 seconds = HF10

But if the shark gets 50 points in 4.9 seconds = HF10.204

The slower shooter has no way to get more points, as he/she already has the max available, but, by speeding up just a little bit the shark can get a better hit factor.

My point being that there is a limit on the points, no limit on the speed other than your own abilities.

To my point about speed being relatively more important on high hit factor stages lets say that the next guy steps up and shoots 1 A and 9 Cs in 4 seconds. 41 points (assuming Major PF) divided by 4 seconds is a hit factor of 10.25.

Sometimes I don't understand hit factors. I have shot stages before and had somebody say that I shot the stage way too fast. Other times they tell me I shot it too slow. I am amazed by a few guys I know who can walk up to stage and say something like, "we need to shoot this in 13 seconds and take the C's on that target over there instead of trying for A's".

I have told new shooters to go slow and get your hits but I usually say something more like," if you are shooting nice little groups in the A zone then you need to speed up. Then if you start getting more C's than A's you need to slow down a little"

I will keep this in mind. Simple enough.