Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what are your club requirements for a new person to shoot at a match?

Sandbagger123

In Canada,

New shooters are required to take a 2.5 day safety course before becoming members in IPSC....its pretty ridiculous. IPSC matches cannot allow non-members to shoot, so therefore, everyone has to take this course if they want to shoot IPSC.

Sounds similar to Australia, you must pass the Holster Safety Proficiency Course including 1 day of IPSC theory. Member of IPSC and the peak shooting body. Goes without saying that whatever club you belong to also has to be an IPSC affiliate.

Maybe because we are just used to overweening regimentation but I don't see it as that ridiculous...at least you know that a newbie has had a small measure of training of some sort (on top of your usual pistol training/licensing requirements)

I take a dim view of a 2.5 day training course usually costing $100 just as a pre-requisite to compete. There is no option to challenge if you already think you're proficient.

I shot lots of 3 gun and IDPA before even looking at IPSC and I can honestly say I gained very little from this course.

In my view, adequate holster training and action shooting training only takes a 1/2 day max. Then its up to the newbie to practice these elements until they become instinctual. I have nothing wrong with newbies who want to take a 2.5 course, but it shouldn't be required of every shooter.

This course in Canada is called the Black Badge and from what I hear, its spreading to other jurisdictions.

Although Canada does have fairly stringent licensing & exam requirements for pistols, I don't think any of the safety aspects in those practical exams have much relevance to action shooting.

Edited by Onagoth

Our club is very strict. To shoot on the action range at all it requires a 4 hour classroom session with written test. Then a full day of live fire approximately 400 rounds. On the live fire you are critiqued just like in an actual match. Break the 180, AD, finger on trigger, etc gets you DQ'd. Once you pass that you have to compete in one match without getting DQ'd then you are certified.

Our club is very strict. To shoot on the action range at all it requires a 4 hour classroom session with written test. Then a full day of live fire approximately 400 rounds. On the live fire you are critiqued just like in an actual match. Break the 180, AD, finger on trigger, etc gets you DQ'd. Once you pass that you have to compete in one match without getting DQ'd then you are certified.

What about non club members who are members of USPSA and shoot at other clubs? They can shoot matches right? If not , how do you justify that? Are you running sanctioned matches? I don't see how you can prevent them from shooting.

Are you talking only first timers? How do you know somebody is a first timer? If I traveled to Oregon and wanted to shoot your sanctioned USPSA match, I should be able to, right?

We get the occasional shooter here who is in town on business or vacation. If they have never shot before we brief them and keep an extra eye on them. If they are an experienced member of USPSA they just sign up and shoot just like we were their home club.

If the shooter is new to action shooting we run them through a short intro class the week end before the match, if they are coming from another action shooting sport (IDPA, ICORE) they need not take the class, as the safety rules are pretty much the same and all I want is for them to shoot safely. I like the new shooters doing their first shooting some time before match day as it gives them time to assimilate the information before trying to shoot a match and it give me enough time to make sure we are both ready for them to shoot a match.

Mike

For match participation we require non card carrying USPSA shooters to first take our one day Safe Handgun Competition course, which we run on a monthly basis. New shooters can come to our weekly practices and shoot on the static line after being briefed and then monitored closely by the Range Officers. Running the practice stage is a matter of the RO judging if the shooter can do it safely.

The class is not only to instill safe gun handling. It introduces the new competitor to the history, rules, techniques, tactics and etiquette of the sport. It is not a class for completely new shooters. We emphasize from the beginning that we expect that shooters are not complete novices with no experience shooting at all, and that it is a competition oriented class. We feel that people need to learn to crawl before they walk, walk before they run, and be at least familiar with shooting before we let them run with a gun.

We still ask if new shooters are present on match day to confirm that they have taken the course, and we try to get them extra attention during the match.

A neighboring club has similar class requirement for those who are not USPSA - in this case the class is 4 hours in the morning, and the afternoon you get to shoot last 2 stages of the match going on the same time. Then you come back and shoot a full match (and are tagged 'new' at the match with different color score sheet). You get your safety card after the full match, unless you DQ at the 1/2 day or full match, in which case you need to retake the class and start again.

Sarge,

If you have a USPSA card you are good to go. Makes no sense as anyone can join USPSA. The main reason for the drawn out process is safety of the club members. On one hand it is a real pain in the ass. On the other hand our club has 5000 member and only 12 action range pistol bays. A member must complete the process in order to use the action ranges. The benefit is not many members take the time to become certified so those of us that are have little trouble getting a bay for practice. For matches, if you have your card you can shoot.

In Canada,

New shooters are required to take a 2.5 day safety course before becoming members in IPSC....its pretty ridiculous. IPSC matches cannot allow non-members to shoot, so therefore, everyone has to take this course if they want to shoot IPSC.

Sounds similar to Australia, you must pass the Holster Safety Proficiency Course including 1 day of IPSC theory. Member of IPSC and the peak shooting body. Goes without saying that whatever club you belong to also has to be an IPSC affiliate.

Maybe because we are just used to overweening regimentation but I don't see it as that ridiculous...at least you know that a newbie has had a small measure of training of some sort (on top of your usual pistol training/licensing requirements)

I take a dim view of a 2.5 day training course usually costing $100 just as a pre-requisite to compete. There is no option to challenge if you already think you're proficient.

I shot lots of 3 gun and IDPA before even looking at IPSC and I can honestly say I gained very little from this course.

In my view, adequate holster training and action shooting training only takes a 1/2 day max. Then its up to the newbie to practice these elements until they become instinctual. I have nothing wrong with newbies who want to take a 2.5 course, but it shouldn't be required of every shooter.

This course in Canada is called the Black Badge and from what I hear, its spreading to other jurisdictions.

Although Canada does have fairly stringent licensing & exam requirements for pistols, I don't think any of the safety aspects in those practical exams have much relevance to action shooting.

Here lies the difference.

Thing is, no one prior to doing the Holster Proficiency course (1 full day btw, which you must pass to the satisfaction of the RO-trainer) here is going to be proficient - no one would have done any kind of movement-related pistol shooting whatsoever as all other handgun disciplines are static standing only. Service, ISSF, silhouette etc (except maybe 1920 Action Match which does have some of course, but nothing like IPSC)

3 gun in Aust (which has no semi auto longarm component and is only legal in a few States anyway) you would already have to be Holster Proficiency accredited to start with - so same deal.

IDPA? OK that's just funny :roflol:

Edited by zhuk

Sarge,

If you have a USPSA card you are good to go. Makes no sense as anyone can join USPSA. The main reason for the drawn out process is safety of the club members. On one hand it is a real pain in the ass. On the other hand our club has 5000 member and only 12 action range pistol bays. A member must complete the process in order to use the action ranges. The benefit is not many members take the time to become certified so those of us that are have little trouble getting a bay for practice. For matches, if you have your card you can shoot.

That makes sense. Our club has pistol bays for the general membership to use as they wish. Those same pits are used for our match on match weekends. Any other time of the month anyone who wants to can draw from a holster, do pretend USPSA shooting etc. I am always nervous when I go to chrono or practice and there are wannabe's doing all kinds of stuff in those pits that they probably should not be doing. The club even has steel plates available for those members who have shot enough steel matches to get the secret code to the box of steel. On one occasion I happened by and there were people shooting steel plates at nearly point blank range.

So, for general action type shooting not in an organized match, I strongly feel there should be some type of certification.

Yes, anybody can join USPSA but it would be simple to have the requirement that they have a classification before allowing to shoot without supervision. That would be for practice as mentioned in above post, but, at a match you have to let them shoot if they have a card.

To give you a calibration, here's my recent story in the UK!

Bit of background: I've been shooting competatively since the 70's; many courses in both UK and US with national level champions cause they are fun; competed in a few nationals myself; USPSA RO certified but not current; UKPSA member since 1987; USPSA Benefactor member since 1990ish; ...

Since I haven't shot a UK competition in a while, to shoot an airsoft pistol match here (best we can do), I'm expected to take a 2 day training course.

The US is a lot more shooter friendly :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

Not just centrefire pistols but rimfire pistols too except for long barreled pistols (which you can't borrow to try out). Fortunately, I still live in CA too and have my gunsafe over there for necessary real shooting fixes!

There aren't many people who are happy about CA gun laws but they are my best option - which tells you something :sick:

• 1 month later...

Someone above said that a USPSA Member with a classification should get a pass for "Black Badge." Agreed. On a side note... Canadian PAL (firearms acquisition permit) has a check procedure that can involve pointing your (locked back and chamber checked) auto pistol at your head to confirm that there is no bore obstruction. You could use a dowel or something as well but I just can't get myself to look through the barrel from the business end.

Edited by Blake Keiser

I have a "New Shooters Guide" posted on our web site along with a New Shooters page. The guide explains everything they should know about attending a USPSA match. I ask the new shooters who come out to our matches and 95% of them say they have downloaded and read it.

Feel free to download and use it if you think it may help your club.

http://rocketcityshooters.com

Really good beginner guide PDF. I downloaded it just to review all the things I may have forgotten

I have a "New Shooters Guide" posted on our web site along with a New Shooters page. The guide explains everything they should know about attending a USPSA match. I ask the new shooters who come out to our matches and 95% of them say they have downloaded and read it.

Feel free to download and use it if you think it may help your club.

http://rocketcityshooters.com

Really good beginner guide PDF. I downloaded it just to review all the things I may have forgotten

I can send you the word doc original if you would like to make any changes for your club. PM me if you need.

If you have never shot a match in our action area before you simply meet with our senior RO after the walk thru who reviews all the basic rules for the AA. At that point you are good to go like anyone else. If it happens to be your first match ever as well you simply let anyone know on your squad at the first stage and you'll get all the help you want for the match.

If you are a Club member and want access to our AA you must attend an orientation which is held monthly. Takes a couple of hrs plus take a short test. Pass and you're cleared to use the AA. We have ~ 3500 members in our club, half of whom are allowed in the AA, which has 7 bays. Never had to wait for a bay even once in the last 2 years .... Of course I train M,W,F mornings from 8am-9am but occasionally I'm there on Fri afternoons or Sat and there is almost always bays available ....

Takes a couple of hrs plus take a short test. Pass and you're cleared to use the AA.

Not anymore. The board didn't like me giving a test, even though it was verbal and open participation. I don't think Johnathan resurrected it. I think the whole thing is over in less than an hr. The rifle holes in the plate rack are enough evidence the orientation doesn't work. Not to mention lack of board action for rules violations.