Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320

JGus

Anybody getting P320 magwells or (better yet) a grip frame module with a built-in magwell? For 3 gun or if you wanted to shoot Limited.

I expect to see these in the future.

For now I have a separate grip for 3 Gun that I have opened up the mag well on including some flaring, under cutting (trigger guard and Beavertail) and aggressive texturing.

Edited by alma

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I'm not sure how much there is on the sides to take away in the first place. I don't have it with me right now, but it seems pretty thin on the sides.

Alma, any shots of how much you undercut the beavertail vs a stock frame?

For Production can't you take out some material from the magwell as long as the opening is no more the a 1/4" bigger than the outside dimensions of the magazine?

I think they screwed up the rule by forgetting to put a "not" before the "more than 1/4 inch" part.
Basically then front to back you have no limitations on how far you can open up the mag well as long as you do not externally flare it. Side to side is not mentioned.
Appendix D4 - 22.4 Magwell opening
The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the
corresponding dimension of a magazine. External flaring remains PROHIBITED.

And I'm not sure how much there is on the sides to take away in the first place. I don't have it with me right now, but it seems pretty thin on the sides.

At $45 each I don't feel too bad about getting aggressive with texturing and other projects on the P320 since I know that if it doesn't work or looks bad that I can toss it and put on a new grip frame module.

Cutting this high on the beavertail does require backfilling with epoxy below the FCU. I have also started playing more with adding weight inside the mag well between the "rails"

My 3 Gun grip has about an ounce of #8 lead shot epoxied back there. Not saying these are things that you need to do by any means but because that lower isn't serialized the P320 platform is ideal for tinkering.

THyBmhTh.jpg

Edited by alma

At $45 each I don't feel too bad about getting aggressive with texturing and other projects on the P320 since I know that if it doesn't work or looks bad that I can toss it and put on a new grip frame module.

Cutting this high on the beavertail does require backfilling with epoxy below the FCU. I have also started playing more with adding weight inside the mag well between the "rails"

My 3 Gun grip has about an ounce of #8 lead shot epoxied back there. Not saying these are things that you need to do by any means but because that lower isn't serialized the P320 platform is ideal for tinkering.

THyBmhTh.jpg

Is that a .375 base pad on the 320 on the right.

Springer has the .250 and .375. I assume the .375 base pad still fits in the box.

Trying to decide between the .250 and .375 right now.

The base pads on the right are PA Enterprises base pads. They have several different styles that work well with the P320 and look great.

The big difference is that they match the profile of the grip so it actually extends the grip surface on the front whereas the Springer Precision pads sit back a bit to optimize the feel of them in your hand and allow for an eventual mag well.

The PA Enterprises pads also have different sized "wings" matching the factory grip profile and they have another style that even extends that profile to the rear of the grip. This picture doesn't do them justice since I have worn down the front of my Production gun's grip frame module from lots and lots of dry fire practice but I can post a better picture on a fresh grip frame module if you like.

I started with the Springer Precision .25" and while they were good I recommend either moving to the .375" or the PA Enterprises ones.

I am also now testing the Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions which give me three or four more rounds than the Springer Precision +4s were giving me (I only got +2 with the SP +4 using the stock followers and springs from Springer).

http://www.paenterprises.net/Magazine_Base_Plates_s/1847.htm

One small note, to add on Alma's post. The basepads from PA Enterprises match the profile of the medium grip. The small and large are just a hair different, from a profile matching view. It's minor, most wouldn't notice unless you pointed it out.

I have Springer basepads (I'm going to be selling soon) and the PAE pads. I prefer the PAE pads. Scott makes a great product, but I like the matching profile, from an aesthetics viewpoint.

Since it's P320 related here is some match video from last week's VA/MD Section match. We had four Team SIG shooters using the P320 (A.J. Start, Clay Klemm, Annette Evans, Alma Cole). A.J. took high Master and was 5th overall in Production behind JJ, David, Sonny, and Matt O.

Edited by alma

One small note, to add on Alma's post. The basepads from PA Enterprises match the profile of the medium grip. The small and large are just a hair different, from a profile matching view. It's minor, most wouldn't notice unless you pointed it out.

I have Springer basepads (I'm going to be selling soon) and the PAE pads. I prefer the PAE pads. Scott makes a great product, but I like the matching profile, from an aesthetics viewpoint.

I think the difference in size only shows up on the rear if you have the wing extended on the rear (which I don't but Clay does). The front is flush on all sizes of P320 grips.

Yes the front lip of your grip well on the right looks very.... worn.

What's that, a quarter inch gap?

Yes, it is about a quarter inch now. Unfortunately I did the same thing to my Glocks but at least with the P320 I can replace them.

I plan to build on a new Production grip module sometime soon and this one may be set aside for dry fire practice only.

I am inserting essentially what I posted on another forum, regarding my experience with shoot ability between the 9 FS and the Compact. Cliff notes version is the Compact shot significantly better for me, despite the 9 FS have a Robert Burke competition trigger job, Dawson FO sights, and a 1911 guide rod with a 14 pound recoil spring. I spoke to Robert Burke this morning, and he reports similar experience withe the FS and Compact. Interested in whether this tracks what the other 320 shooters are experiencing, or if there is something I am missing relative to recoil spring weight or otherwise. (I am a USPSA A Production and Limited shooter).

I went out and had my first intensive range session with a Sig 320 FS 9, just back from a Robert Burke competition trigger job. It also has Dawson FO sights, a 1911 guide rod, and reduced recoil spring. I had a shooting bag along, with plenty of goodies for reference -- a Glock 17 with HD sights, a 17 with an RMR, my main Production CZ Shadow, a 320 Compact 9 (HD sights and Burke carry trigger) and Compact .357 Sig (HD sights, otherwise stock). For the last 7 months, I have almost exclusively shot the CZ and a Glock.

I shot 100 rounds of Garcia dot drills to warm up and get used to the 320 FS 9. At one point, I shot a few runs with my G17 and my CZ. Both seemed to be shooting flatter than the 320. I next set up a drill consisting of a 8 inch steel at 10 yards, decent transition over to a IPSC cardboard, wider transition to an 8 inch steel at 15 yards. The drill was open carry draw and hit the 10 yard steel, two to the head of the cardboard, finish on the steel at 15 yards. My par settled into 3.0 second with the 320. I grabbed the Glock, and runs were similar 3.0 to maybe 2.8. With the CZ, I got into the 2.40 something range. I grabbed the 320 Compact, and used my JM AIWB holster, drawing from under a t shirt. Runs were in the 2.75 range, from concealment, which was substantially better than the full size. Grabbed the .357 Sig, and runs were in the 2.95 range, again slightly better than the FS 9.

I was convinced there was some new gun thing going on, despite all the 320's essentially being new guns. I repeated drills, mixing things up, and the time delta favoring the Compact stayed constant. I then shot dots, and the Compact tracked more like my CZ than the FS 320. Then, I did a drill, drawing to just the two steel, and needed 2.0 to do it with the FS, and 1.75 from concealment with the 9 Compact. (With the Glock 1.8-2.0 open carry and 2.2 with the RMR). Final exercise was some 7 yard Bill drills with the Compact, and I went 2.03, 2.13, 2.07 clean from concealment with the 9 Compact.

Two things I need to explore -- the Compacts had some grip tape on, and the FS did not, and I might try even lighter recoil springs in the FS. However, considering the FS is bigger, slide and grip, and had the far best trigger, I doubt this is going to swing results materially. Right now, my summary is that the FS 9 320 is not going to be that gun that "shoots like the CZ, but I can treat like a Glock." However, I do think that while the 320 FS probably isn't what I hoped, the 320 Compact is the closest thing to a Glock 19 killer I have shot.

Roy from Grayguns says the Compact shoots faster for him. He said the sights just track better. I have a P320 Compact for EDC but haven't shot it that much.

I personally think grip tape or other texture above the stock texture area is required on the P320 for competition. I also prefer a lighter recoil spring on the FS.

Given the modularity of the FCU have you tried dropping your race trigger into your Compact to check results?

The base pads on the right are PA Enterprises base pads. They have several different styles that work well with the P320 and look great.

The big difference is that they match the profile of the grip so it actually extends the grip surface on the front whereas the Springer Precision pads sit back a bit to optimize the feel of them in your hand and allow for an eventual mag well.

The PA Enterprises pads also have different sized "wings" matching the factory grip profile and they have another style that even extends that profile to the rear of the grip. This picture doesn't do them justice since I have worn down the front of my Production gun's grip frame module from lots and lots of dry fire practice but I can post a better picture on a fresh grip frame module if you like.

I started with the Springer Precision .25" and while they were good I recommend either moving to the .375" or the PA Enterprises ones.

I am also now testing the Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions which give me three or four more rounds than the Springer Precision +4s were giving me (I only got +2 with the SP +4 using the stock followers and springs from Springer).

Thanks for the detailed reply Alma.

Just ordered some PAE pads. Very nice.

Well, when you gents are ready to sell the bases that you don't like, PLEASE contact me. I will be happy to make a deal with you.

I have six new red .25 Springer Base pads still in the plastic available for sale. Send me a pm if you want them. I am still waiting on extra mags and might just get some extended TF ones.

The big difference is that they match the profile of the grip so it actually extends the grip surface on the front whereas the

So what is the max capacity on the TF mags and what internals are used to get this?

Thanks

Going against the grain here, but.... I finally had a chance to shoot a Full Size P320 in 9mm tonight. I was pretty excited to try it, given all the hype I have been hearing. I was most definitely NOT impressed. I was just shooting standard factory ammo, but I found the pistol to be very jumpy. I really expected it to see less vertical movement and was very disappointed in the accuracy as well. It may just be that I got to shoot a poor sample, but I will stick with my SP-01 for production. I really wanted to like this pistol. I did. Especially for the price. I'm sure it's a great gun, and the trigger is the best I've seen on a Striker Fired Pistol, but it's most definitely not for me.

Took mine to the range again last night. Did some draw/one shot head drills, draw and fire 2 for A, and some bill drills to get the timing. Jury is still out, but I'm warming up to it. I think once I get some more rounds down range it will feel better.

FWIW, I did not feel mine was "jumpy" compared to SP-01... being lighter it was slightly more violent, but the sites settled well. I am using a 13 pound recoil spring, think I will switch to an ISMI 12.5 to try that.... When I shot it with the stock recoil spring, it was bouncier, and the recoil spring makes a huge difference in feel.

Edited by sfinney

Going against the grain here, but.... I finally had a chance to shoot a Full Size P320 in 9mm tonight. I was pretty excited to try it, given all the hype I have been hearing. I was most definitely NOT impressed. I was just shooting standard factory ammo, but I found the pistol to be very jumpy. I really expected it to see less vertical movement and was very disappointed in the accuracy as well. It may just be that I got to shoot a poor sample, but I will stick with my SP-01 for production. I really wanted to like this pistol. I did. Especially for the price. I'm sure it's a great gun, and the trigger is the best I've seen on a Striker Fired Pistol, but it's most definitely not for me.

I'm sure we would all drive Ferrari's if we could. I'm just trying to run the race on a Mustang budget. Add a few mods and let the driver do the rest. I was a little taken back when I shot it as well, very over sprung for my 147's. It was not better than sliced bread by any means. But like I mentioned the Mustang will need some add on's to compete.

I made my decision when I saw Yong Lee on Youtube go from a stock 2 to the Sig. Had to be something there, I thought. Stock 2, the Holy Grail!? But then again, he is a great driver. So we shall see.