Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 - the effects of various recoil springs

blueorb

Can someone tell me what effect the various recoil springs have on the cycling of a CZ 75? For example, if I currently have an 11.5# spring and were to go up in weight would that lessen or increase perceived felt recoil? What if I went down in weight? Also, does changing recoil spring weight effect anything else that needs be considered?

My reasoning for asking is that, since the day I first shot my gun, the recoil is a lot more harsh than I was expecting for an all steel framed gun. I came from a G17 and was expecting a very soft shooting gun in comparison but got the exact opposite. For the record I am shooting 147 gr Bayou Bullets making 139 PF which is the same thing I shot out of my G17.

So, is it a matter of just trying different springs to find one that works best for you (assuming the gun functions with no problems)?

Thanks,

Edited by blueorb

Define recoil?

Are you getting more muzzle climb or more of a thump in the hands?

Ive found that recoil springs tend to not change the way the pistol thumps the hand unless you go to extremes, ie from an 11 to say a 17 pounder. Ive found that recoil springs tend to do more in regard to muzzle flip. Having said THAT, you're WAY under sprung for 139k power factor ammo.

You should be running at least a 12 or 13 pound spring for ammo that "hot".

The 11 pound springs are more for 130kish power factor ammo.

Lastly, alot of people will say that recoil spring weight is also determined by grip strength and i agree with this although i cannot really comment on extremes since im neither weak, nor Bob Vogel.

PS, a G17 is a VASTLY different creature than a shadow. The different slide profiles and weights contribute to extremely different recoil impulses. The shadow is NOT a "cheater" gun no matter how many people love to say that on this forum. At least its not a "cheater" gun in the same vein as a downloaded .40 cal limited gun shooting minor or a 9mm 1911.

Define recoil?

Are you getting more muzzle climb or more of a thump in the hands?

Ive found that recoil springs tend to not change the way the pistol thumps the hand unless you go to extremes, ie from an 11 to say a 17 pounder. Ive found that recoil springs tend to do more in regard to muzzle flip. Having said THAT, you're WAY under sprung for 139k power factor ammo.

You should be running at least a 12 or 13 pound spring for ammo that "hot".

The 11 pound springs are more for 130kish power factor ammo.

Lastly, alot of people will say that recoil spring weight is also determined by grip strength and i agree with this although i cannot really comment on extremes since im neither weak, nor Bob Vogel.

PS, a G17 is a VASTLY different creature than a shadow. The different slide profiles and weights contribute to extremely different recoil impulses. The shadow is NOT a "cheater" gun no matter how many people love to say that on this forum. At least its not a "cheater" gun in the same vein as a downloaded .40 cal limited gun shooting minor or a 9mm 1911.

Thanks for the reply. Recoil, as I am defining it with my gun, is definitely more of a muzzle climb instead of a thump in the hands. Like you I kind of fall in the middle in regards to grip strength. I am certainly no vice crusher but I don't have fish hands either.

Any negative effects to have too light of a recoil spring? Gun functions fine and I don't notice any abnormal wear.

I think I will try a couple more springs to see how it feels.

Edited by blueorb

You're going to theoretically batter the "locking block" area of your frame if you run a light recoil spring and a "hot" load.

The real question here is, how are your sights settling with the 11 lb spring and your ammo? For me, with 135K plus power factor ammo, the front sight settled high on every shot.

If i CRANKED down on my grip pressure i could get the gun to return to a neutral position but i was definitely fighting the pistol more than i was simply shooting it.

It is easy to determine if you have the right recoil spring or not. When you fire your gun how far does the brass fly? Your brass should land 5 to 7 feet maximum. If it is flying farther than that, the spring is too light. If it only dribbles out of the Gun and falls at your feet spring is too heavy.

For a plane CZ 75 a 13 pound recoil spring should do the job. Question why are you running such a high power factor? 130 to 132 should be more than sufficient and you will have less recoil.

I agree with magsz that the best criteria for recoil spring strength is where your sights tend to settle after your initial shot. Typically too heavy a recoil spring and your second shot will tend to hit low. Too light and your second shot will tend to hit high. You're looking for the goldilocks spring so a quick follow up shot will tend to hit where the first one does.

I use a 13 pound spring in my 75B and Shadow. The 75B has a stainless steel guide rod for some added weight and the Shadow points best with the plastic one. They both shoot very level with 137 PF loads. I run an 11 pound spring in the Shadow with 115 PF loads for steel shoots.

I run a 11 I run 135 PF. I shoot....a lot

Let me edit to add. Minor pf ammo feels sluggish to me. I want fast and snappy. The reason being if my grip is right the sights come back down where they need to fast!

Oh don't ask me what spring I use for major in my TS :-)

Edited by steel1212

+1 steel.

Fast and snappy! I used to shoot 124gr quite a bit but once I started seeing better the quick bark of the 115 just feels so nice. I never knew such a small difference in weight would change the feel so much.

OP why don't you just experiment a bit with some different springs? There's a few places to get them and they are quite cheap. I think like 7 or 8 bucks maybe. You may find something you really like!

For those asking why I shoot 139 PF, I'm not sure why that matters. For one that is what I shot previously in my Glock so I am used to it. Two, after working up some loads and testing them in my CZ I found that PF worked best for me in that if gave me reliable accuracy. The point of my thread was how the recoil springs effect the recoil of my gun.

I have ordered some springs and will do some testing when they arrive. For now I have placed the factory 14lb spring back in my CZ and will test it our this week at the range. My Wolff springs are on back order so if the 14lb spring doesn't do the trick I will go back to the 11.5 until I can test the other springs.

yeah I shoot similar PF to feralshooter (135pf) and recently changed to a 12lb. not a massive change, but it has improved the second shot a little and brass does land a bit closer now.

you're on the right track with the spring pack. I think a 12 or 13 would probably be a nice spring for your loads.

Having a 11lbs spring in my TS40 since two weeks.

Am using heavier bullets with roundabout 180gr..

Just a feeling, but the gun feels "unstable" anyhow, a little bit like a rubber ball when shooting, as if it goes up and down in the recoil.

I try it a little further to decide, if I keep it in or not.