Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best progressive press to load 9mm

NateStaskiewicz

the Dillon 550B is a great progressive press. if you want even more progressive - go 650 with automatic indexing and case feeder or 1050 with same extras - maybe a bullet feeder too. I dont think you can get much better .

Are there any aftermarket accessories that I should get for a 650

to me the powder check at station 3 is mandatory. you don't want to have to check your case visually all the time for a double load. then the rf-100 primer filler is a must, as well as a case feeder. get also the redding seater die, and the lee crimp die. then, cut one coil on the detent ball spring for a smoother action,and you're good to go.

Don't waste the money on powder check. Just flood the press with light and make looking in the case part of the process. It takes no additional time or effort.

Same goes for the $80 seating die. I tried one and it was no more accurate in oal than a standard die. I did replace the Dillon seater with a die that was much easier to adjust though.

As for the RF100, there are other options that don't result in the occasional upside down primer.

Consider getting a Udie instead of an FCD.

I am currently reloading with a Dillon 550B and was wanting to get into a progressive press. What's the best and why?

The 550b is a progressive press and, unless you have a really large volume to do, is the best press you can buy. In my opinion.

What is there about it that makes you feel it is inadequate to your requirements?

Edited by Graham Smith

I just switched from a 550 to a 650 and can say it was a good move for me. I was getting to the point where I didn't have time to load the amount that I wanted to shoot. The 650 is much faster for a production mode. Load development and changing caliber often the nod goes to the 550. I also like the priming system on the 650 much better.

I'm quite happy with my LNL with case feeder. Supports my wife and I shooting 2-3k rounds a month

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Same here.

I think a better question vs which press everyone uses (which will undoubtably have more Dillon users on BE.com...), the question might be - the 550 is a progressive, just not auto-index, and without a rifle feeder...but the OP is talking about pistol. What doesn't the 550B do for you that has you considering another press?

there is no best press. each one has their pros and cons.

i went from a 550 to a 650 and i love the faster speed because of the indexing. i use my 550 for volume 223 now only.

here's my cons below.

case feeder is $$$

tool head moves to much i get alot more OAL variance then my 550.

even with a bearing kit i still get plate skip causing powder to spill. i have to manually hold the case and slow it down as it indexes.

more things to go wrong

pros - faster if it all goes well.