Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the Kadet .22 Conversion work well?

DeerfieldCurly

The Kadet kit is most reliable with a 17 lb (or greater) hammer spring. As Stuart notes, a dedicated lower works great. If you have a double action gun, and are trying to keep the double action trigger pull low with a lighter hammer spring, you will have trouble with reliable ignition.

Only a small, light part of the kit actually moves on recoil, which seems to make it quite reliable.

I bought one thinking it would be a good training tool. As others have noted, it was tough to get it to where it really simulated my centerfire pistols.

It is a solid design, and makes for a nice but pricey .22.

Oh Boy....I may be in trouble now. A 20 round mag that works in a gun that works would really be the cat's butt. I have been involved in an indoor .22 shoot during the winter months. The best thing you can do is have a .22 that runs through a large mag without screwin' up.

Oh Boy....I may be in trouble now. A 20 round mag that works in a gun that works would really be the cat's butt. I have been involved in an indoor .22 shoot during the winter months. The best thing you can do is have a .22 that runs through a large mag without screwin' up.

This just in...Amboy Rifle Club passes new rule only allowing factory mags.

I had one and sold it. As noted above, it needed a heavy hammer spring to run reliably. With the heavy spring, the DA and SA pull weights were too high to simulate my shadow triggers. I prefer to shoot my rugers and buckmark when I shoot .22 as they have nice 3 lb triggers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only seen the 10 rd magazines, but as far as the set up goes, I love it. I can't think of more than 2 FTFs which I wrote off to bad ammo, it is far better than the other conversions I have shot in the past as far as reliability and accuracy, I have one for my Glock from Advantage Arms which is almost as good but not quite.

I have nearly 28,000 rounds through one. It is an excellent all steel 22 with steel magazines. Sights and barrel are one assembly and are stationary. A small "slide" or bolt moves to cycle the gun and feed ammo. Mine is as accurate as my Ruger for bullseye matches and actually more reliable.

You will definitely have to use a 17# hammer spring with the kadet kit installed on a 75B frame. Anything lighter and you will get light hits.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Kadet 2 for my SP01 Shadow, took minimal fitting. Only problem I had at the start was some feeding issues (light strikes), it have had over 8000 rnds through it, and the only thing that broke was the pin that holds the barrel to the slide, a somewhat common issue with the Kadett kit. Sure, if you are going hunting for bullseye shooting from 25m(~27 yards) there are other .22s that are way better. But I mix it up at IPSC training since it will show you very-very-fast if you slapp that trigger in any way or otherwise does something fundamentally bad.

Got 4 Magazines, and I like using the Kadet when I train reloads - afterall even all little *poff* is more fun then dry practice =)