Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex gear

D.Hayden

I want to get a Kydex holster for my 5" Long Dust Cover SVI, and 1 or 2 single mag pouches.

It's for the 5-Dogs 3Gun in February, Blade-tech timing would be iffy timing.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone who keeps these in stock?

Does any of the Uncle Mike's stuff fit long dust covers?

Or if the Uncle Mikes mag pouches:

50362 : Single Mag Case for Dbl Column Metal or Polymer Mags

will hold a normal STI 40 140mm magazine?

I'd say that Bladetech is your best bet for everything. Someone at a club match today had Bladetech mag pouches w/ the Teklok (however the hell you spell it). The fronts were cut down and the Teklok allows for positioning them at angles.

My guess is the UM mag pouches will not hold the mags as most double column mags are built around 9mm length ammo and not the .45 ammo that STI mags are built around.

Guest Larry Cazes

Dave, Reed's Shooting Range in Santa Clara carries the Bladetech teklok line in stock. Don't know if they have one for S_I but its worth a phone call to find out.

Thanks for the quick replies..

Blade-Tech's web site says 4 weeks, that's pushing the window a little, I do have one of thier gholsters for my 1911, and like it, so I checked there first.

Comp-Tac looks good, I'll call them in the morning.

I'll check Reeds too, but I think the long dust cover complicates things..

Guest Larry Cazes

Yup. I suspect, though, that a little creative work to the holster with a dremel tool could fix that. :D

Yup. I suspect, though, that a little creative work to the holster with a dremel tool could fix that. :D

A good heat gun will loosen the kydex right up and mold it to you gun..just not too much or you'rr have a puddle..

A good heat gun will loosen the kydex right up and mold it to you gun..just not too much or you'rr have a puddle..

Toaster Oven works too. Set at 350 but not for too long.

Regular oven on 250, or boiling water are also useable to form kydex.

The problem is wide-area heating tends to make the whole thing into a shapeless holsterlike mess if you aren't careful.

I'm also thinking the cheapy UM stuff isn't kydex and probably isn't formable with this method..

Hey Berkim

If you need a Bladeteck for an Edge fast, drop me a line. I can send you the one I have that I have used once for a USPSA match and you can send me a replacement if you order one or you can send me $50 and just keep it. Tactical Black finish, 1.75 inch loops (I think. It came with spacers for smaller belts. Will measure if interested.), straight cant, right hand. I ordered it straight from Bladetech about 3 months ago.

Marvin

I disassembled my Uncle Mike's mag pouches and put them back together using nuts and washers as spacers to make them big enough to fit my Para mags--they've been working just fine for several matches now. If push comes to shove, that might give you an option since you can locate the UM stuff about anywhere.

Shred--I think UM is actually Kydex, but it's injection-molded rather than formed from sheets. I happen to think the UM holster for the 1911 (the one with belt loops, not the paddle) is actually a very good competition holster.