Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Length Recoil Guide Rods

pastorjohnd

Its time to do some spring replacements & I've started thinking about some upgrades to my Springfield GI 1911 A1.

One that I've been kicking around for a while is going to a full length guide rod. So, I'm curious what everyone is using - what you'd suggest and what I should avoid.

I think it's more of a personal choice/preference. Unless your running a bull barrel, it's not going to matter.

If you decide to try a FLGR, might I suggest a Dawson Tool-less. It may seem a bit gimmicky, but I like them. YMMV.

The main advantage of the FLGR is you can drill (or buy one that has) a small take down hole so you can remove the rod, spring and reverse bushing as a captive assembly and never fight with the spring again.

I don't know if there are any performance benefits of FLGR, just makes cleaning much easier.

Edited by bountyhunter

It really doesn't make a difference from a functional standpoint. The main reason to run one (or not run one) is to adjust how the gun feels and handles, which is personal preference. If you want more weight in the gun, it's better to add it in non-moving parts, so a full length guide rods is a good option. If you want even more weight, you can go with a tungsten version.

I read somewhere and sometime ago that a FLGR is an upgrade. To each their own.

It gives the spring a guide to ride on so it don't rub the tunnel.

If you go with FLGR be sure round off the cut on the last coil so it don't drag or scratch and drag during it's cycle. And be sure to oil the guide rod.

• 2 weeks later...

I you run a bull barrel you don't have much choice.

Not true. I run a GI w/ my Bull Barrel.

What?! You just blew my mind. Now you have to post a pic of this because I'm scratching my head as to how this all comes together.

And I'm with Steve on the ease of takedown. But I also like the Dawson toolless guiderod. But I find a well blended bushing and plug to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by v1911

How does a FLGR east take down over a GI rod? If it does your doing it wrong. I pull the slide back and remove the slide stop. Take off slide and that's it. 2-3 seconds to have them separated. FLGR uses tools, come on. JMB designed the gun for the GI rod, not FLGR. IMO, this is trying to fix a problem that does not exist. IF your gun runs with one and came that way, fine, but if your gun runs reliably with a GI one, why change it? Weight, please.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuJhnB-1mY

Edited by ricardo28

Funny that those that preach so much about JBs original design but most have a 1911 with updated features.

If someone wants to own a GI style pistol, cool by me. Not my cup of tea but I'd never bash someone for their choices.

Funny that those that preach so much about JBs original design but most have a 1911 with updated features.

If someone wants to own a GI style pistol, cool by me. Not my cup of tea but I'd never bash someone for their choices.

Not bashing anyone for their choice, just proving their point about the FLGR being easier to take apart is wrong and stating that there is no RELIABILITY reason to change over. I have owned FLGR guns that ran with them in it and never changed it. If a gun runs with a GI rod, or FLGR, leave it alone IMO.

What are these updated features you mentioned? New Metals used, Sights, grips, hammer shapes, magwell? None that affect reliability.... The 1911 trigger, frame/slide, slide stop, guide rod, barrel are all very close to the original design.

Edited by ricardo28

How does a FLGR east take down over a GI rod?

Simple: you use the slide to compress the recoil spring, put the pin in the hole and the rod.spring/reverse bushing come off as a captive assembly. never have to fight a recoil spring again, never have to release the spring. If you have old hands and are fighting a .40 1911 with an 18 - 20# spring, the benefits are a gift from heaven. Edited by bountyhunter

Not bashing anyone for their choice, just proving their point about the FLGR being easier to take apart is wrong and stating that there is no RELIABILITY reason to change over.
Nobody here ever said the FLGR makes it more reliable. But if you have the one with a takedown hole, I absolutely guarantee it makes disassembly and reassembly easier. have been using it for 25 years and would never go back.

This videeo shows how the FLGR with take down hole captures the spring:

I would note, it's much easier to insert the paper clip tool before removing the slide from the receiver. That way you use the slide to compress the spring. Then take the slide off. Doing things the easy way makes life more fun.

Edited by bountyhunter

If you are happy with the way the gun was performing, I say just replace the springs to the same weight you were using. If you feel you want to experiment to see if you can squeeze out more performance, you should try a full length tungsten guide rod. Going from the GI to FLGR probably won't notice any difference, but the tungsten guide rod will add a little non-reciprocating weight out front which may help with quicker sight recovery. It is all personal preference, having a gun run the way YOU want it to run is all the reason you need to experiment with different parts.