Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need shotgun: M2 vs 1301

Booyakasha

I talked to Lead-head and I narrowed down my future purchase to the Benelli M2 and the Beretta 1301 (still considering the SX3 as well).

My main question is if the M2 is worth the extra price + $200 worth of parts to make it compliant + extra recoil? The barrel length of the 26 inch field, weight, and reliability make this gun highly desirable.

However, the 1301 has everything set to go minus the barrel extension. That's a hard deal to pass up. Also I heard it's softer shooting despite not adding too much weight.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

By the way, I have already decided that the Versamax does not fit my needs and the FN SLP has too many mixed reviews.

either is a good gun, the 1301 will shoot much lighter loads than the M2. mine does 2.5 dram loads easily, my m2 can't even begin to handle stuff that light. less velocity gives better patterns when all other variables are alike. but fewer components makes for much easier maintenance and less things to go wrong in a match, and the M2 has that. personally buy the one that you pick up, throw to your shoulder and say "oooo thats nice" both will do the job and both are good guns,

Trapr

Both are good guns. I played with both and I like the 1301 better. I will say I have seen several folks switch from an M2 to a 1301. I haven't seen it go the other way. The 1301 is still pretty new though so maybe it is just the bloom is not off the rose. Time will tell.

Ideally find a way to shoot both. You will get a sense of the difference in weight, finish, and the way the unmodified guns point for you in a store but if you can get a test drive of both you would be much better served.

The only place I have seen shotguns for rent were at trap/skeet places. Unfortunately, there's probably little chance of anyone having those guns. I thought the benelli would be around, but most people shoot either O/U or Beretta 390s/391s

from first hand experience, after visiting my local bass pro shops, i was able to get hands on trial with even dry firing (with permission from the clerk behind the counter).

the benelli felt smoother when chambering a round, it's definitely lighter… and from personal experience (i purchased a benelli) the benelli recoils a tad more than an FN SLP (some reference for a gas gun)

the 1301 wasn't as smooth when i was fiddling with the bolt, it's quite a bit more heavy vs the benelli (though weight could be a good thing for recoil management).

in saying all that, my next gun will probably be a versamax.

my only regret was not going with a 24" benelli (i purchased the 21").

your comment about the 1301 weighing quite a bit more is,....... a bit OFF. At least with my 2 shotguns, both 21" guns set up the same, Benelli showed heavier than the 1301 by about a 1/2 pound. Actual weight not manufacturers claim.

Funny though, I weighed both my 24" guns, 1301 and Benelli, the Benelli was lighter just slightly, and it has wood stocks, just slightly being less than 1/4 pound

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

My 1301 weighs about the same as my Salient M2, but shoots considerably softer. I like the longer forend on the 1301 as well. You can get your hand way out there and drive the muzzle pretty quick on the Beretta.

My two cents is whatever feels best. I am a huge Benelli fan, but bought the 1301. It's a sweet shotty, much less recoil and shoots rifled slugs better than my actual slug gun. I like the adjustable length stock. I am not short, but I left a spacer out to keep it a half inch short so the butt doesn't hook my shirt when I shoulder the gun. The loading port needed opening up for me, and I am going to weld the lifter. One downfall it it only comes with one imp cyl choke, I bought a full set of extended chokes. Overall I love it, I put a +5 Nordic extension on the 24" barrel in it is flush with the extended choke. Hope this helps

Didn't expect so many people to prefer the 1301! I'm glad I made that my first 3 gun purchase, and I didn't even do as much research as I should have.

I was just thinking the same thing ...lol

I had the same debate. Got the 1301 21" added the beretta 2" extended choke and a +5 nordic components. Shot for the first time at atlanta 3 gun... Wows it was a blast! It was pouring ... Had people with JM2, and M2s failing through torrential rain, mud, etc... My 1301 performed flawlessly - right out of the box! Beretta shotguns have never let me down hunting or in trap/skeet... Now in 3 gun they will lead the pack soon!

If I add an extended choke, will it still point as if it were a 26inch barrel? I didn't know those even existed.

Where do I get a 2" extended choke to use for trap/skeet?

Local gun dealer selling 1301 comp for $1058...but they're out of stock. Should I pay more to get it now or wait?

The 1301's shoot slugs well. I have shot Remington Managed Recoil, Rio Low Recoil, Winchester Rangers, Brenneke Low Recoil, and Federals. All Cycled without a hickup and shot to point of aim with just the bead. Yesterday I set up some small poppers at 50 yds and had no trouble going 1 for 1 with the Brenneke slugs. Backed up to 100 yds and shot a B/C silhouette. No trouble getting center mass hits with just the bead.

Some one asked me yesterday at BGSL 3 gun how I liked my 1301. Mine is 24" with +6 tube,, hiviz comp FO bead, barrel clamp, and some stickers to dress it up. Got it around the end of last summer.

All I can say is that I shot an SLP for 2 years, an m2 for 2 years, and I was never a big fan of shotguns....My 1301 is making me like shotguns more and more.