Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Cost

prairiefire

I haven't really figured out my cost per bullet - probably be depressed, but I enjoy doing it in the winter. What cost do you all have on your 9mm reloads these days? I know that I won't break even for some time as I just started loading and have all the upfront costs - even though I bought all used equipment. it's very comforting to know that with the supplies I now have on hand, I won't go "hungry" for ammo for a long time, if the market takes another dive.

You might be surprised how quickly you can recoup costs.

My 9mm loads run me between 12-18c/rd, depending on powder, projectile, primers and when I bought them.

My .223 loads run me between 18-25c/rd.

I shot ~6k 9mm and ~2k .223 in the past year, using 15c/rd for 9mm and 20c/rd for .223:

6k * .15 = $900

2k * .25 = $500

Looking at Gunbot today for brass ammo:

6k * .30c/rd = $1800 + shipping

2k * .40c/rd = $800

Savings based on right now pricing, let alone the 75c+/rd target ammo 9mm we saw not long ago or $1/rd .223... $1200.

Pays for a progressive press, dies, tumbler, scale and case feeder in one year alone.

to make you feel better I live in australia.

my 9mm minor production loads cost around 18-22c per finished round. that varies depending on type of projectile (either hi-tek coated lead, or frontier CMJ, stuff like hornady HAP etc are way too expensive here - around 20c per projectile!) primer cost varies from about 4c a primer (murom) up to 6c a primer these days for federal (just gone up from 4.5c to 6c now that there is something of a shortage).

so for a nice CMJ round with federal primer it looks like this:

primer 6c

projectile 10c

amortize the brass cost at say 2c per loading

and powder is about 4c per round worth

but as many people have mentioned, the big benefit about reloading (especially in 9mm where factory ammo in the US is not too $$$) is that you can tailor the round the way you like it. the primer you like, the powder characteristics you want, the amount of powder you want, type of projectile you want. overall cartridge length you want etc. it is by far worthwhile to reload for anyone shooting even a couple hundred rounds a month.

I haven't really figured out my cost per bullet - probably be depressed, but I enjoy doing it in the winter. What cost do you all have on your 9mm reloads these days? I know that I won't break even for some time as I just started loading and have all the upfront costs - even though I bought all used equipment. it's very comforting to know that with the supplies I now have on hand, I won't go "hungry" for ammo for a long time, if the market takes another dive.

Reloading for me isn't about the cost. This is a hobby for me. I enjoy it immensly - almost as much as I enjoy shooting. I'm probably not saving a ton of money. Hell I'm probably spending a little more, i have'nt actually figured it out. But if I wasn't spending at or on my reloading bench, I'd be spending it elswhere - or worse...my wife would!

Reloading for me isn't about the cost. This is a hobby for me. I enjoy it immensly - almost as much as I enjoy shooting. I'm probably not saving a ton of money. Hell I'm probably spending a little more, i have'nt actually figured it out. But if I wasn't spending at or on my reloading bench, I'd be spending it elswhere - or worse...my wife would!

Couldn't agree more!! I also like working up different loads, using different bullet weights and trying out different calibers. I crank up my 60's music and while a couple of hours once or twice a week - for me it's relaxing as well!

I tried the calculator above and it worked out to 12.5 cents per round for the 9mms I load. Looking at it in comparison to factory loads, mine only cost $2.50 per box of twenty, which is a considerable saving, even over the Tulas I saw @ WallyWorld yesterday.

Yeah. I'm with you Steve. Every time I do the math I can almost pay for a 1050 from 9 alone (assuming 10k rounds). If you look at 45 the dollars add up even faster. I haven't bought a press yet but if you shoot more than 4-5k rounds a year I think you should ignore the costs of a press. Just buy the one that matches your round count and you should pay it off in year 1

• 2 weeks later...

147 plated from xtreme 8c

winchester spp 3c

3.2 titegroup 1c

range brass free

so i'm making 9mm for about 12 a round. seems cheap internet reloads are about 30c a round at best for 115gr 9mm. so i'm getting the round i want, the pf i want and normally better qa/qc. and saving 18c a round each time.

say you spent 2 grand on getting into reloading. you'd need to make about 11 thousand rounds to recoup the cost. i shoot about 1,500 rounds a month so that's only 7 months to get to where i'm ahead on the deal.

i only spent 1,500 getting into reloading so i recouped my savings much quicker than in the above example.

As the mantra goes

You won't save a dime, you'll shoot more for the same cost.

My 650 is like a pusher, without actually speaking I look at it and it makes me want to use it more. The first few hundred rounds were relatively cheap to produce. Then I needed more, so I bought more components. Made a few thousand, then I needed more calibers to produce, more money for conversions/dies. Now I am making more than I shoot. I am running out of money buying components in bulk just so I have enough to make more rounds than I can shoot. I have the monkey on my back so bad I have to buy gift cards with cash to order supplies so the wife doesn't find out how bad my habit is. It would of been cheaper for me to by cases of ammo for $500.00 a pop. I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeerBaron- D*mn! That sounds like California, Illinois or the New England States! I feel for you. Can we donate components through the Red Cross?

yes please! us battlers in this little convict colony will take as many federal small pistol primers as you see fit to donate! :)

124 Xtremes. 6.7

CCI timers. 2.7

WST. 1.1

Brass. Free

Total. 10.5/rd

I have $2,0000 in my setup . Buying ammo is around 30 cents each so I'm saving 20 cents a rd so after 10,000 rds I covered the press and now I save about $200 per thousand .... At 25,000 rds/yr it adds up ....

I would never be able to train the way I do without reloading and I get to tune my load to my gun/shooting style ....