Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

While sitting on a bar stool a couple of nights ago, the beer starting making me rather shatty and loud. This guy 3 stools down kept giving me the evil eye and then a few minutes later, as I was flirting with the really hot bar tender, he shouted out "speak up!".

It wasn't until after I left urgent care, and that guys hot bar tending wife called me, that I realized what he actually said was "shut up!".

post-23750-0-69614100-1393516630_thumb.j

I thought perhaps a thread entitled "Bar Fight" would get a lot of attention, and I am using myself as an example of what can happen when you do not take care of yourself. Stay out of bars? Nah, I talking about protecting yourself from ultraviolet light . . . the sun.

A bar fight would have been much less painful than the procedure I went through two days ago, I assure you! Skin cancer is a serious threat to people in our sport . . . any outdoor sport.

Maybe, just maybe, fellow shooters will remember my miserable looking mug before they leave for the range, and apply an SPF50 sun blocker. While you're at it, ditch the ball cap type head gear and get yourself a good looking wide rimmed hat ;)

How the Westerville, Ohio MOHS surgery center works:

First, the MOHS procedure is a process where a surgeon slices off a thin layer and checks the specimen (in house) to determine if all cancer was removed. This is done to every patient scheduled that day. When your turn comes back around another slice is removed, if cancer is still present. If all cancer was removed the first time around, your second trip back is to close the surgery area or preform reconstructive surgery.

I was there 7 1/2 hours, having 3 layers removed before all cancer was gone. Then, my reconstruction (on two different spots) took 1 1/2 hours. Skin was removed from behind my left ear to do the skin grafts.

Now, the part I really want everyone to know:

3 surgeons work in this place so, I saw and chatted with, a lot of patients. There was one gentleman with the top half of his left ear missing, from a previous visit. On this day, they were removing part of his right ear. He told me about his left ear partial removal and how there was this guy with one ear totally removed, when he was there last.

This is some serious shit people! I could tell you stories from several other patients.

I have had little spots of skin cancer removed from my back, chest, shoulder and face several times, by my dermatologist, over the past 20 years. But, this weeks procedure was a bitch!

Take precautions . . . take care of yourself!

Knew it wasn't real straight offf....Reshoot can't drink more than one beer without falling off his chair... Hope evrything works out. Kick the crap outta that cancer.

On a related note, I was in a bar the other night, talking a good looking girl....She looked at me and said "You're looking at that mark on my nose, aren't you?" I said yes...She said " It's from glasses." I said "Why don't you use contact lenses?" She said "They don't hold enough beer."

Knew it wasn't real straight offf....Reshoot can't drink more than one beer without falling off his chair... Hope evrything works out. Kick the crap outta that cancer.

On a related note, I was in a bar the other night, talking a good looking girl....She looked at me and said "You're looking at that mark on my nose, aren't you?" I said yes...She said " It's from glasses." I said "Why don't you use contact lenses?" She said "They don't hold enough beer."

LMFAO!!!

So you're saying there was no bar fight or medical condition... he just fell off a bar stool after one beer. Shameful. :roflol:

Yeah, cancer sucks the big one. :angry2:

Pat

While sitting on a bar stool a couple of nights ago, the beer starting making me rather shatty and loud. This guy 3 stools down kept giving me the evil eye and then a few minutes later, as I was flirting with the really hot bar tender, he shouted out "speak up!".

It wasn't until after I left urgent care, and that guys hot bar tending wife called me, that I realized what he actually said was "shut up!".

Look forward to seeing your episode on Judge Judy.......

A bar fight would have been much less painful than the procedure I went through two days ago, I assure you! Skin cancer is a serious threat to people in our sport . . . any outdoor sport.

Yeah, I had one cut off a few years back. was about the size of a dime. When the Kaiser doc was done cutting, the incision was about 6 inches long. Still have the scar.

I have been wearing such for several years now . . . a heavy canvas type in cool weather and winter, and I straw-type for summer (which the MOHS surgeon told me is absolutely worthless). He said if I can hold it up to the sun and see any sun light through it, throw it away. So, I am now searching for new hot weather head gear. Until I find something, my heavy canvas hat will be on my head

Even with my darker skin I worry about this, especially having spent so much time in the water out here where the sun is year round. I like the idea of a boonie hat but haven't found one yet that fits over my muffs without being too loose and flopping off when I move.

And beat that BIG C, guy, I like reading your posts and hope to be doing so for a long time.

Edited by gino_aki

Even with my darker skin I worry about this, especially having spent so much time in the water out here where the sun is year round. I like the idea of a boonie hat but haven't found one yet that fits over my muffs without being too loose and flopping off when I move.

And beat that BIG C, guy, I like reading your posts and hope to be doing so for a long time.

I put ear plugs in, for the day. Then put a pair of Def-Guard muffs on too, when I shoot my open gun. The thing about the inexpensive Def-Guards, I like, is that the muffs swivel. So, the "band" is swiveled down, and behind my head. Zero interference with my hat ;)

http://www.radians.com/radsite/index.php/products/radians-sporting-goods/hearing-protection/item/radians-def-guard-earmuff

Edited by Reshoot

Ordered this one last week. Looks like it might be a little heavy / hot but, maybe good for cool weather.

http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=025

Wife and daughter don't like the looks of this hat. They say I should have gone with a darker color but, I chose while as least heat absorbing. The real test will be granddaughter's opinion. :roflol:

I lost my vanity a long time ago. I use common sense now, and common sense tells me to wear whatever works best. The brim is rather stiff and heavy, allowing it to be shaped. The "head part" is very thin and light. Overall, the hat is light.

As a side note, hats off (pun intended) to the MOHS Surgery Center of Westerville, Ohio. Take a look at that nose . . . the end of said nose having reconstructive surgery just 16 days ago. That you, doctor Biernat, for an awesome job! :bow:

post-23750-0-21447400-1394723826_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot