Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 for open build

Waterfowl-widowmaker

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have read, more people build off of a G17 because the slide speed is faster. And with a shorter gun your transitions and stuff are also faster. That is why a lot of "Shorty" open guns are built on the shorter 2011 frames as I understand it.

If you check the inside of the 34 slide compared to the 17 slide, the 34 slide has some extra lightening cuts in addition to the slot in the slide which can be prone to cracking over time running 9 major. In addition to the slide speed and handling of the 17, that is another reason to go with the shorter 17 slide - strength.

34 slide will be fine for an open build. Just cycle speed is slower due to the mass and it's more gun to move around.

On the plus side you will have an easier time making major.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

K.C. Eusebio of TEAM GLOCK, uses a GLOCKWORX built 34 length open 9 major gun.

With a GLOCKWORX made stainless slide. i don't know the particulars of the slides internal configuration (if it has lightened cuts like factory 34 slide).

Some people use the G34 because it is a lot easier to make major then with a G17 because of the longer barrel. just like sweetback said. KC uses a G34. Again like the others said, the longer slide will decrease your cycle rate and slow down your transition speed a hair. Would you be able to tell the difference, I don't know. in the STI area, they are going shorter for lighter weight and faster movement, but they are mostly shooting 38sc which is a lot easier to make PF then 9 Major. But the most important thing is FEEL. Every gun will feel different to you in how it feels and the way it shoots. The gun when shot will give you feedback and you will know if you will like it or not. I have both a G22 and G35 as my Open guns. I like the G22 better because it feels better to me when I shoot it. Again, that is all shooter preference. Use what feels better to you.

Slide speed on a 34 is same as 17 with correct spring and PF. The coffin cut is there to make the slide weight nill between the two. The longer barrel with comp is no longer really (.25" +/-) than a 5" STI with trubore or brazo comp. Come on fellas think lol. It will make major easier and can go a little higher maybe to increase the comp efficiency.

Everyone talking about weight. It's a good thing in a polymer open gun shooting major and like he said above it's still nothing like a S_I platform and the transitions will be adapted with dry fire and range time (you won't notice it I bet ;-) )

and KC's gun for Major is the g34 platform with mostly just panel cuts to equal about what the coffin cut would add. Then his steel challenge gun is a g17 platform for minor.

Edited by dskinsler83

I own a SJC, I was into them quite a few years back, but it is rough on the gun, .38SC is the true ticket in open, dollars aside. I know 9 Major is ok, but my heart still doesn't really trust it. It wound up being a steel/open minor gun, all of my mistakes wind up steel guns.

G34 an 17 slides weigh within .1 of an ounce of each other. And have the same slide travel length. Easier to make major in the 5.3. However the weight out front will be slightly greater due to leverage. However. Its only .75 of an inch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...