Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MultiGun Checklist

jake31

Anyone have a checklist they use for a match load out? I kinda have one that I use for USPSA matches. I have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to the nearest match so forgetting something would suck.

BTW this is my first multigun so what spares, extra crap that might make the day go easier would be helpful.

Some folks have detailed lists, such as Mark Co does. I kind of play it by ear from past experience.

Rifle

Pistol

Shotgun

Mags for Rifle and Pistol

Caddies for shotgun

Inner and outer ELS belts

Holster

Mag pouches

Range Finder

Ammo for all guns

Hearing and Eye protection

Chamber Flags !!

Slings (Yes, plural as for shotgun also)

Basic Tools

Band Aids, nail clippers for when you tear a nail off loading your shotgun,

Knife (Don't we always carry a knife?)

Bottle Opener (some things never leave the range bags)

For a local match (one I can drive to) Spare bolt carrier group, spare rifle and shotgun, sometimes pistol. You never know when someone's equipment dies.

This will help, I hope :D

I have no idea where you are located, but, handwarmers are a good idea too!

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Thanks for that, I live down south but hand warmers are always good , mostly for old stiff hands. I hadn't even considered the rangefinder,. I have to make an actual checklist with little boxes to check off as my wife helps pack up the truck and we have left things behind.

Thanks

I have all of the stuff that Dan has, plus, in my first aid kit I keep Emodium AD and Advil. Other items I take are:

a stopwatch,

a headlight (in case you need to work on something, or find your way into the cave at Rockcastle)

a spare pair of shoes

raingear

Beef jerky (one package for each day of shooting)

gum

a copy of the rules for the match that I am attending.

ice chest with water and Gatorade.

I drive to the matches that I attend, so it is not a big problem to have an abundance of gear in the back of the Expedition.

Hurley

Here's my list with a couple that haven't been mentioned yet

Rifle, shotgun, pistol and back up pistol (i travel with friends and we share rifles/shotguns if they go down)

Ammo!

Rifle and pistol mags, shotgun caddies are attached the belt

Gear is usually attached to my belt the night before. ELS makes it easy to take off when not needed

Knee pads

Gun Stroller (if required, depends on match)

Shotgun chokes

Eyes and Ears

Gun towels, sunscreen, grip cream, bug spray

Shooting hat (protects neck and face)

Lots of water, beef jerky and fruit

First aid kit with burn cream (always in bag)

Some tools (in particular, a T handle allen wrench for an AR15 grip and a tool for the glock front sight)

Tons of spare parts

Folding chair

Chamber flags

Range finder

Slings

G96 & some shop towels

Lots of winter gear & hand warmers for winter matches

Shop gloves for resetting

I'm sure there is more....I have a shelving unit setup in my gun room that has everything i need to take. I pack up the night before.

Edited by Onagoth

I have a very small bottle of super glue that has a brush applicator. It helps stem the flow of blood as band aids sometimes won’t work. If you aren’t bleeding, you’re not having fun!

Probably a stupid question - I notice a few of you bring slings for your long guns. Is that just for carrying between stages?

Nope, some matches have long guns slung. That is usually posted in the match announcement of slings are required.

Probably a stupid question - I notice a few of you bring slings for your long guns. Is that just for carrying between stages?

Nope, some matches have long guns slung. That is usually posted in the match announcement of slings are required.

Ah, never thought about that. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

If your not shooting factory ammo you might throw in a rifle length rod and a squib rod for the pistol. Some brake cleaner and oil go in the gear for sure or get picked up at Wally World on the way. Lense cleaning wipes are a necessity. A bandana or two or a couple of hand towels, one for getting greasy and one that I try to keep halfway clean. A pair of thin fingerless gloves. Spare batteries. A pen and a little note pad to write down what you forgot and wished you'd brought. Rain gear and an extra pair of shoes and socks are nice. 10' of para cord, a roll of duct tape and a few safety pins can come in real handy. Don't forget your multi tool or a screwdriver set. A ziplock bag or two are good too, especially for score sheets when it rains.

Edited by Blaise1

Good stuff guys, I went through all of the posts and tried to condense them into one list. Please review and if something is missing please mention it. Items highlighted are a must, everything else I think you could get by with in one way or another.

Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun/Appropriate gun cases for travel

Mags for Rifle and Pistol

Caddies for shotgun

Inner and outer CR Speed belt

Range Finder

Ammo for all guns

Hearing and Eye protection

Chamber Flags !!

Slings (Yes, plural as for shotgun also)

Basic Tools/Spare Parts Kits

Band Aids/Nail Clippers/Pain Reliever/Emodium or Stomach Meds/Mole Skin

Boots/Shoes/Extra Socks/Rain Gear/Season Dependant Clothing/Knee Pads

Stroller/Chair/Cooler with drinks

Snacks/Gum/Candy

Towels/Bug Spray/Sunscreen/Pro Grip

Sunglasses/Hat/Eye Glasses

Knife/Light

Sandwich Baggies/Pen/Pencil

*COPY OF MATCH RULES!!!*

Edited by jackson923

I don't use "a list" per se.

I start at the top of my head and mentally start naming off the things I'll need for the day.

Hat

Eye glasses

Hearing pro

Belt-carriers-mag holders

Etc, etc,

I have one extras bag that always goes for the ride every time.

This way unless I lost a foot between the house and garage, I'll probably remember to bring my boots.

• 3 months later...

Elbow pads for those prone stages. Sorry, I'm a wimp.

Handiwipes

If you're driving and have room:

Tool kit with spare parts

Cleaning rags, hotels don't like it when you use their towels - I don't usually clean during a match, just add oil.

Choke Tubes

I really like to carry a spare shot timer and batteries ... at my local matches I'd say someones goes down at some point almost every month and mine almost always gets used.

I really like aleve or any other anti-inflammatory... after the matches I tend to be a little tight and that seems to make for easier mornings the next day.

KNEE PADS are so key, I know it has been in here a bunch of times, but I can't reiterate how clutch they can be.

and as with most things one is none and two is one...

Edited by mulrick

I'm sure that most everyone takes it for granted at local matches, but, when traveling to a multi - day match, you want to make sure that you take your clothing and toiletries.

Currently shooting day 2 of the Freedom match in SC after leaving my bag at the house in North AL on Friday morning. Not cool.

I made it through my firearm checklist, but neglected to think ab the other stuff, so my bag is still sitting by the door.

I'm sure that most everyone takes it for granted at local matches, but, when traveling to a multi - day match, you want to make sure that you take your clothing and toiletries.

Currently shooting day 2 of the Freedom match in SC after leaving my bag at the house in North AL on Friday morning. Not cool.

I made it through my firearm checklist, but neglected to think ab the other stuff, so my bag is still sitting by the door.

Very good point. This is what Walmart is for unless you are in the middle of nowhere, but most matches are located close to some town. Also don't forget to book hotel when traveling to a match.

• 2 months later...

Case Gauges not so much at the match but prior to are important

at the Match, Water lots of it and a Cooler. Shooting Towel for wiping sweat out of your eyes. extra ear plugs

Baby jogger 3 Gun conversion if you cant drive to the bays.

The hardest thing to bring sometimes is a clear mind and positive attitude keeping the positive attitude is my struggle after the first stage

goes poorly.