Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA or USPSA

DavidT2252

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try them both, after you acquaint yourself with the rules/regs of each.

They don't compete with one another in any way.

Then you decide.

Many people can shoot BOTH - I tried it and couldn't do it = had

to do one or the other, so I dropped IDPA and shoot only USPSA.

:cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

IDPA is designed to simulate concealed carry scenarios and requires concealed carry type equipment. It is more structured in that there typically is a specific way that you have to shoot the courses of fire, what order the targets must be shot in, and requirements on shooting from positions of cover.

USPSA typically allows shooters to complete a course however they see fit, within the rules. The courses typically have several solutions to the "problem", and allow shooters to develop their own strategy.

Both are fun. I tried them both, and prefer USPSA.

IDPA is designed to simulate concealed carry scenarios and requires concealed carry type equipment. It is more structured in that there typically is a specific way that you have to shoot the courses of fire, what order the targets must be shot in, and requirements on shooting from positions of cover.

USPSA typically allows shooters to complete a course however they see fit, within the rules. The courses typically have several solutions to the "problem", and allow shooters to develop their own strategy.

Pretty much sums it up.

USPSA all the way!

I discovered USPSA first and haven't tried IDPA yet, but I've had a few conversations with shooters who felt IDPA was much more affordable for them.

Apparently IDPA stages are a lot lower round count. Not sure if it's just a specific division or all divisions, but one fellow mentioned shooting with only 2 mags on the belt and max 19 round count stages. He said his typical evening league was 50 rounds. And it stands to reason they're not buying separate guns, holsters, mag carriers, etc. than their normal carry equipment.

Like others have said shoot both. I shot IDPA for a couple years. Made Master in CDP. ESP, and SSP. Then I started shooting USPSA and i feel it took me to the next level faster than if I had continued to mainly shoot IDPA. I find it much easier to mainly shoot USPSA and I can switch to IDPA with no problem. It was a little harder the other way around. Im pretty sure most if not all of the top finishers in a major IDPA match will be people who mainly shoot USPSA.

If you are hard core "tactical" and "real world then IDPA might appeal to you. This may be calling out the wrath of Bill Wilson but USPSA just produces better shooters. As far as I know the best IDPA shooters are first and foremost USPSA shooters.

I personally think USPSA is both more fun and more challenging. More fun because it's fast paced with more rounds down range. My challenging because allowing shooters to shoot freestyle gives them the flexibility to be creative and push the boundaries of gear, stage planning, and technique. Also, since there are more

top shooters in USPSA there is more competition and more chances to learn from the best.

All trigger time is good trigger time but if I had to pick it wouldn't be a hard decision

I thoroughly enjoy competitive shooting but I am going to take a departure from what most here have said. I have shot USPSA and IDPA plenty. I pretty much dropped USPSA for awhile and focused on IDPA (Master class in each division I shoot). I've taken division champ a number of times in sanctioned matches.

I went back to USPSA and tried a couple of matches. Great people, some outstanding shooters, but just not for me. While there is plenty to complain about in IDPA, I do like the idea that in theory it is supposed to be reality based. As I am first and foremost tactically oriented (law enforcement guy), I have found that in order to be competitive in USPSA I have to compromise tactically. I do want to use cover, shoot targets as I see them present themselves, and I do not want to leave a string of half-empty magazines on the ground behind me. That generally doesn't make for a winning combination in USPSA.

For pure speed and accuracy I like Steel Challenge. So I like the combination of shooting IDPA and Steel Challenge when it comes to handguns.

For the record, I do not equate competition with training. At the same time I do not want to build muscle memory for certain habits.

Between the two IDPA is the game for me, though I will say that I dislike the new rules even more than the rules they replaced.

Edited by Osage

IDPA match is 30 minutes from my house. USPSA match is an hour and a half from my house. I take the hour and a half drive every Saturday.

I agree with others. Shoot both and see what pleases you. Any gun used in IDPA can be used in USPSA to my knowledge.

I only shoot USPSA because to me it's much more fun than IDPA, and I only have the time and money to shoot one sport. Having said that, I often recommend IDPA to folks that have no law enforcement, or in depth personal defense training. I like how IDPA stresses the importance of cover, tactical engagement of targets, and not wasting ammo.

Hey David - just my $0.02 as a person who still shoots IDPA and USPSA regularly, and likes them both. My short answer to your question is: shoot both. Any time I'm pulling the trigger, I'm smiling!

As others have said, these games are very different. IDPA emphasizes more tactical-ish aspects of pistol shooting while USPSA is more about movement and strategy. If you go into each game knowing that they are different, you will have a great time with either.

I think IDPA is better for beginners because you don't have to think about "how" you will shoot a stage. Typically, there is only 1 way to shoot a stage, and the game is to see which shooter can execute the stage procedure in the quickest and most efficient manner. Scoring is also easier to understand.

In USPSA, the things that I think make it fun, i.e. more rounds down range, less 'tactical' rules, no target engagement procedures, etc, may make the game a little more daunting for a beginner. It is definitely a faster game. There are also less rules around how you shoot a stage. Scoring is also a little bit more complicated though.

After awhile, you'll gravitate towards one or the other. I, like many on this forum, prefer USPSA (I got bitten by the open gun bug), but IDPA is also fun.

In a couple of months, I expect to see you posting about your first 3-gun experience... Now THAT's fun!!

Osage - why is dumping a magazine so bad tactically in your opinion? I have heard people say this a lot and it just doesn't compute for me. So would like to hear your thoughts on why that would be such a sin?

Sure. The main reason is that I've only go so many rounds and so many magazines on me. I'm in the Army and I am also a patrol officer for a municipality. It might not be so bad in a military capacity where I've likely got a bunch of magazines, but then again if I do run out I'm going to wish I hadn't left a bunch of perfectly good rounds on the battlefield behind me. As a cop, I know that the average gunfight is just a couple of rounds and the likelihood of even needing to reload is slim. However, there are exceptions. If I have to run into an active shooter (or 2 or 3) situation, say in a mall, my round count may be much higher. I've got 2 spares on my duty belt. If I reload every time I get a short break in the chase I will quickly run out of magazines. If I'm working plain clothes, I may only have one spare. Those rounds become that much more important.

Aside from that, while I can separate a game from reality, in USPSA it is often advantageous to drop a half empty and load another when you are in the open with several targets still facing you. There is no emphasis on cover or tactics. In a game you know how many targets you have left - in reality you don't. USPSA cares about speed/accuracy/power. If you are trying to win, you must sacrifice a couple of other defensive skills. Again, I know it's a game and not training, but I tend to not gravitate to a game where I MUST compromise certain tactics in order to be competitive.

IDPA has plenty of rules that I dislike. The difference is that when I don't like a rule it's normally because I can't do something that I would do, rather than having to do something that I wouldn't do. For repetition, I would rather be restricted from something I would do than encouraged to do something I wouldn't.

Like I said, it may not be a big deal for the vast majority of situations. But I can see enough in my life where I don't want to instill that as a habit. I simply feel that since my gaming time is limited I should pick one that best supports my primary goal and that is tactical shooting.

From the USPSA Rulebook:

"Any USPSA member in good standing who is determined to have shot an IDPA match when a sanctioned USPSA match was available on the same date shall have his or her membership revoked".

:ph34r: