Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Design YOUR ultimate multi-gun match

We are bringing back Area 6 Three Gun this year. It will be the last weekend in June at Universal Shooting Academy. Official announcement will be going up on USPSA today or tomorrow and I'll start a thread here in a couple days as well. Registration will be on Match Sign Up the first of April.

What I'm interested in however is your opinion on the ideal set up and structure for a multi-gun match. Number of stages, types of stages (long range, all 3 gun, some single gun, number of stages, etc.), squad sizes, stages shot per day, round count per gun, etc.

I consider myself a decent match director being that I at least do a lot of them and do it for a living but haven't done any large 3 gun stuff.

I think this will be a smaller match especially with the short notice with plans to go big next year.

So the floor is yours, tell me whats cool!

Thanks,

Shannon

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you're opening a can of worms!

My idea- 9 stages, 2 1/2 days, all three guns on all stages, slung rifle starts, 240 second time outs, rifle out to 400, pistol out to 100, shooting in and out of vehicles, rickety barricades, props to climb over, around, under, shoot off the top of...

My idea- 9 stages, 2 1/2 days, all three guns on all stages, slung rifle starts, 240 second time outs, rifle out to 400, pistol out to 100, shooting in and out of vehicles, rickety barricades, props to climb over, around, under, shoot off the top of...

Yep, but I would add...no stage guns, no "bonus" targets, lots of choices for which targets to shoot with what gun and from multiple positions.

8 stages, shoot 4 each day, a shotgun only stage with high round count, no slings, no rifle shots over 300 yards, all targets for all three guns are knock over steel. No climbing over or under stuff. Round count around 300 for each gun.

8 stages, shoot 4 each day, a shotgun only stage with high round count, no slings, no rifle shots over 300 yards, all targets for all three guns are knock over steel. No climbing over or under stuff. Round count around 300 for each gun.

Quality over quantity. You've got the distance there so use it! A few really long shots would be nice. I'd love to see that large bay at the end used to it's fullest potential. One hell of a stage could be put up back there. I love using all 3 guns in a stage but it is nice to mix it up a bit and have a few stages focus on or or two guns instead of three.

This^^^^^ plus natural terrain

This^^^^^ plus natural terrain

Yes this.

You just want to shoot BRM3G twice :P

Anyhoo, most of this has been said before..

At least two guns / stage

No bonus targets

Choice targets that can be shot with any gun (or at least choose between two)

A few stages with decently long rifle shots (preferably separated by a couple of stages to minimize potential weather impact between days)

Quality over quantity. I'd rather shoot a great match with awesome stages every other year, than a dumbed down (to allow more shooters) every year.

Half day format preferred

9-10 stages

More technical than hoser

8-10 stages

slung weapons

shooter's choice on targets

use the longe range bay to 4-500

back bay with flying clays, a van or car to start in.

Slugs to 100 yards

pistol to 50 yards

quality over quantity

par time on the stages.

Shannon's 3 gun matches are always fun, just too few stages :)

This. I love the Horner matches. See you at TFD in a few weeks.

That all sounds kinda familiar… and less than an hour from home. :lol:

Being a USPSA multigun match won't that limit what you can and cannot do?

Will it be a USPSA sanctioned match?

When it was in Georgia it was a great match, but being a USPSA sanctioned event it suffered on the attendance and prize table side.

8 stages 2 days. All 3 guns every stage no slings. Some stages more rifle, shotgun, or pistol focused. Long range flashers recieving only 1 shot each. At least 3 long range stages past 200 yards. I really like the idea of a 2 day match format because it increases attendance. Most people have to work and cannot take off 5 days with travel multiple times a year to shoot a 3 day match. Especially a NEW match that hasnt established itself yet.I wish I could go as I live in JAX but I will be in Cuba.

Also like others have said having a choice to use pistol, shotgun, or rifle is fun. FNH did this last year and it was fun some people ran all pistol others ran rifle shotgun. Just depends on comfort zone. Makes for a more interesting match.

Edited by GM2B

Being a USPSA multigun match won't that limit what you can and cannot do?

Will it be a USPSA sanctioned match?

When it was in Georgia it was a great match, but being a USPSA sanctioned event it suffered on the attendance and prize table side.

In what ways does it limit or suffer Mr50?

This match will be USPSA but I'm not opposed to going 3GN or outlaw or something for subsequent years if that makes for happier customers.

As I expected some conflicting ideas. I appreciate all the feedback guys. Couple questions.

A few mentioned no bonus targets. What is a bonus target and why don't you like them?

For those that like slung weapons, why do you like it and how does it add to or help the match?

Thanks!