Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 Shot rule CAUTION

Bosshoss

This is not directed at anyone specific, but ever since all the talk about 8 minor came up I have almost been ashamed to shoot revolver - has nothing to do with the equipment (maybe because I bought and 8 shot), or the stage design; it is what it is doing to us. Every thread that even closely relates to the Major/Minor topic is filled with little quips, backhanded comments and frankly a lot of whining. What happened to us? I used to tell people that revolver shooters were some of the most laid back, accommodating, sense of humor having people the sport has - we all have a sense of humor about our limited capacity and like to ski uphill. It was this sense of humor that drew me from Limited 5 years ago and without it I likely would have stopped USPSA (or maybe all competitive shooting altogether).

I guess the moral is - it is over!!! Minor here and not going anywhere at least for a while. We all had a voice and an oppotinity to act through the process afforded to us and the majority felt this would improve the division or our sport. Adapt and over come or just overcome. I made B pretty easily shooting 6 minor, I suspect with all the classifiers being 6 round neutral, everyone choosing to keep shooting theirs will do well classifying due to the scoring advantage, and at major matches, an attempt will be made in stage design to be 6/8 neutral if not favor the 6. Everyone please remember why we do what we do and have fun - that is why we are here. :-)

-Lee

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an attempt will be made in stage design to be 6/8 neutral if not favor the 6.

-Lee

This is the only problem I have now that this has taken effect

-based on the rules of what a speed shoot and standard courses of fire are the classifiers that were removed are perfectly legal stages, however this has created an advantage for one type of gun over the other.

-Going forward speed shoots and standards stages will still be legal, however in order for them to be a classifier they will need to be a rule change

-so the rule change will either have to be written saying that while speed shoots and standards are 8 round neutral, all classifiers will have to be 6 round neutral

if not then there was no reason to have removed the classifiers.

I don't care that classifiers got retired, that is fine (silly but fine, happens) it is the reason and what it has created going forward that will have to be addressed and now we are talking rule changes that IMO are backwards. I don't think we should go to 6 round neutral stage designs, I actually think we should go to 12 round neutral stage designs, let production load up to 15 and leave revolver and ss the same as it is. Major/Minor scoring will balance those out

Edited by JakeMartens

I think the decision no remove classifiers not 6 round friendly was a good one. Doesn't matter how good you are, it is hard to overcome a static reload on a 7 round string.

That being said, for me classification is a byproduct of shooting, not my driving force. Mathematically, I will do better on local matches with 8, better on classifiers with 6 and so far major matches are up in the air but it all a easy for me. I like to shoot USPSA and would still do so without a rank system. I enjoy the atmosphere, the comrodary and the challenge. I am only truly competing in that moment against myself and my preparedness.

We go on forever about what is and is not an advantage. The last classifier I shot was in 35 degrees and light rain. It was CM 99-28 and I received 58 points in 10.39 seconds for a HF of 5.5823 and 63.72% of total match points. This was shooting minor 8 and despite being comstock I still only fired the minimum 12 rounds required. Of 43 competitors, this was the 14th best classifier and still, only scored as a mid B classification. Does this bother me? Not at all, because my performance that day was representative of my every day skill level. We all know someone who has sandbagged a classification or made master by very selectively picking which classifiers to shoot - I simply take on the challenge presented to me and let everything else worry about itself.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and a good 30% of the shots I fire are at targets covered in dry cleaning bags. I suspose if I lived in AZ and the weather was mostly clear not overcast, dry and not raining, and my fingers were not numb during reloads I might do better but I don't feel like I deserve a special accommodation.

I just feel like we have all gotten really sensitive about this and, although the discussions are revolver related, they are more questions of rules than the division equipment and wish they were in the rules forum. Just an opinion.

-Lee

I just feel like we have all gotten really sensitive about this and, although the discussions are revolver related, they are more questions of rules than the division equipment and wish they were in the rules forum. Just an opinion.

-Lee

+1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I think Eli Wallach sums it up best, "If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk" The thread seems to be getting off the topic a bit.

Roger Davis

Easy Jake. What's that saying about arguing and getting dragged down and beaten with experience?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

First time I ever heard it, it was a quote on GmanBart's signature line.