Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A request to reinstate pulled classifiers

Atlgentlegiant

I don't understand either. From Revo Division's perspective, that would solve the problem. Don't overthink it.

My point is don't change anything, let them shoot. If 8 shot minor is that much of a competitive advantage then there will be a lot of 6 shot equipment for sale, or the BOD can "take it back"...

For what it's worth--I agree. You take a hit for minor scoring-those eight holes in the cylinder are a lot smaller than six BIG 45 holes. I think the so called advantage is overblown. It is just "cheaper" than shooting 45!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

You cant just assume that the 8 shooter will be hitting Cs and Ds, and the 6 shooter will be hitting As... making " it come out just the same "

You need to play the scenario where both 8 shooters and 6 shooters are shooting all Alphas on say Diamond cutter, or Tick Tock - the extra reload the 6 shooter needs to do no way keeps things on a level playing field

As a Revo competitor I wasn't in favor of removing the classifiers for the simple reason that we will see these kind of issues at matches. So I felt, for better or worse, that it was only right for the classifiers to reflect this. if someone wants to move up fine, I'll not think less of their classification. If they don't it's a simple issue of reloading after 6, and I won't consider it sand bagging. Personally in a Big Match I'll go for broke, at a local match I'll go 6 to keep from getting bumped up above my skill level.

Conversely I really didn't feel it was the end of the world either. Classifiers come and go for many reasons.

I'm sure it will sort itself out over time as the classifiers see action with the new division rules.

Now if I can just get my shoulder to heal, I'm itching to rumble.

I'm curious. Do we need to wait for this to trickle down to the MD's for it to be official? Kind of like the email we all got from our AD's when they were pulled.

I'm curious. Do we need to wait for this to trickle down to the MD's for it to be official? Kind of like the email we all got from our AD's when they were pulled.

It's on the USPSA website under their news feed, and it specifically says "Effective immediately...."

I think you're good to do whatever you want.

As a Revo competitor I wasn't in favor of removing the classifiers for the simple reason that we will see these kind of issues at matches. So I felt, for better or worse, that it was only right for the classifiers to reflect this. if someone wants to move up fine, I'll not think less of their classification. If they don't it's a simple issue of reloading after 6, and I won't consider it sand bagging. Personally in a Big Match I'll go for broke, at a local match I'll go 6 to keep from getting bumped up above my skill level.

Conversely I really didn't feel it was the end of the world either. Classifiers come and go for many reasons.

I'm sure it will sort itself out over time as the classifiers see action with the new division rules.

Now if I can just get my shoulder to heal, I'm itching to rumble.

I think this will be the only solution now that they have decided to reinstate the classifiers.

during the next match, if it's one of the (8shot) classifiers that were pulled, I'll just have to do a reload after 6 rounds. Even though it's not a rule ( yet? )

Problem solved.

All the pulled Classifiers are reinstated.

Very few people will move up due to this, thru the use of Classifier Status Code 'A'

Let the chips fall where they may.

What is Classifier Status Code A?

Over the years, USPSA has set the classifier HHFs for Revolver Division in different ways. For a long time, they simply based the HHFs on a set percentage of the HHFs for Limited Division. (And for a long time, Jerry was the only one who made GM in Revolver, and there were only a handful of Masters.)

USPSA could easily adjust the HHFs on the affected classifiers to make them more realistic for the 8-minor wheels. Those who choose to shoot those classifers with 6-major would be at a disadvantage on those particular classifers, but that's not really a big deal because it's never going to drive a shooter's classification down from GM to M, or from B to C. Classifications only move up! Most of the time, those "bad" classifier runs are never going to be factored into the shooter's classification percentage anyway--the computer will knock them out.

This would go a long way toward helping prevent mass inflation in Revo classifications. It's already way too easy to make GM in Revolver Division.

Here ya go:

So members can keep track of their scores, all scores received are entered into the database, but may be given a “flag” to indicate its status. The possible flags are:

A — A score that is more than 15% above the member’s current classification bracket.

B — A score that is more than 5% below the member’s current classification bracket.

C — A score that is more than one class below the highest class in any division attained by the member. e.g. A member has a Master class in Open division and a B class score in Limited is submitted. This score will be flagged with C and not used.

D — Duplicate course - a higher score for this course already exists in the most recent six or eight scores.

E — A score that is not in the most recent six or eight scores.

F — A score that is one of the two lowest scores in the most recent six or eight scores.

Y — A score that has been used as part of the classification percentage calculation.

Here ya go:So members can keep track of their scores, all scores received are entered into the database, but may be given a flag to indicate its status. The possible flags are:A A score that is more than 15% above the members current classification bracket.B A score that is more than 5% below the members current classification bracket.C A score that is more than one class below the highest class in any division attained by the member. e.g. A member has a Master class in Open division and a B class score in Limited is submitted. This score will be flagged with C and not used.D Duplicate course - a higher score for this course already exists in the most recent six or eight scores.E A score that is not in the most recent six or eight scores.F A score that is one of the two lowest scores in the most recent six or eight scores.Y A score that has been used as part of the classification percentage calculation.

Thanks, I'd never seen that one before. I guess I don't get many scores 15% above my class bracket. ;)

Edited by fyresq

Has anyone actually had a classifier flagged?

We saw a few from our club a month or so ago, both up-and-coming shooters that legitimately nailed a classifier at considerably higher than their current average. IIRC, they both got flagged initially, but both called in to the uspsa and were assured that the classifiers would actually be counted. Just looking at one of those shooters records online, that classifier is no longer flagged, and he has moved up a class.