Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primed cases

Dww

Hi all, i want to start with a thank you for the help with getting started i received here on the forum.

Ive run almost 500 rounds of 9mm on my Dillon rl550b and all rounds were safe and all went bang!

I made some mistakes and ended up with 35 primed cases after pulling some loaded rounds apart.

My question is what to do with these cases. They need resizing.

Can I resize a primed case?

Can I shoot the empty rounds thru a gun ?

Can i take them to a gun range for disposal?

Thanks

They shouldn't need resizing. If you do want to resize, you just take out the decapping pin and size and reload normally. Don't shoot a primer only round in your gun. When you fire a round, the primer moves out, then is pressed back in by the breech face from the force of the recoil. Without the powder ignition the primer will not be pressed back in. The primer will stick out and jam the action.

On my SDB, my OAL varies from expected if all stations are not used. It will even vary if the case in station 1 has already been sized. Of course, the variation isn't a big one, and is mainly noticiable if I am using single head stamp once fired brass. The mixed head stamp range brass I sometimes use will make the OAL vary just as much.

I believe the new bullet will not have any tension if the case is not resized. You did say they were pull cases . The feed ramp should push the bullet all the way into the case causing a short COL

Edited by kellymc

I'm not skipping a station as these cases with primers in them have already been deprimed and resized and for some reason I did not turn them into a completed bullet so they are ready to go into station 2 ..... I just keep a small cup next to the press any any time I have a primed case that didn't make it all the way through I just dump it into the cup ...

Edited by Nimitz

I'd suggest resizing them during the loading sequence. As said numerous times above, just pull the depriming pin and run them like normal.

The "neck" tension will not be the same after being unloaded as it will be by going thru the sizing die again, which will make them similiar in neck tension to the rest of the cartridges you have loaded previously.