Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Midrange Optic-Next Step Up From Entry Level

dart368

My 3 gun buddy is encouraging me to step up from my Burris MTAC to something better. He is mentioning a Meopta which he says would run me about $900. He says the MTAC reticle is a little too busy and the Meopta would be a much better 3 gun optic to use in competition. $900 is a little steep for me but I don't want to downgrade to something not as nice as I have now.

Please give me some opinions. Thanks.

My 3 gun buddy is encouraging me to step up from my Burris MTAC to something better. He is mentioning a Meopta which he says would run me about $900. He says the MTAC reticle is a little too busy and the Meopta would be a much better 3 gun optic to use in competition. $900 is a little steep for me but I don't want to downgrade to something not as nice as I have now.

Please give me some opinions. Thanks.

Your buddy may think the MTAC reticle is too busy, but what do YOU think? There is no need to upgrade or downgrade to anything if what you're using is working well for you. A lot of people here use the MTAC. We all (or mostly all) have to work within a budget.

I'm not a particular fan of the MTAC myself but I see many very good shooters doing great rifle runs with theirs. I may not like it for how *my* eyes work, but I *never* question its effectiveness for others.

Are you sensing some difficulty yourself when using the MTAC?

I started with the MTAC. Just like all my shooting buddies have done. For the money it is a great scope. We all have since upgraded to either the Swaro or the Vortex. Found a Great deal on the swaro is the only reason for that. Be mindful that upgrading to a 1-6-24 is going to be pricey. If it works for you stick with it.

Check out the new Burris XTR II 1-5x. Might be just what you are looking for.

Website shows a list of $1199 - what's the street price? At that type of list it may make sense to pony up the extra coin and go for the Vortex Razor which is highly thought of.

No, it has a simple BDC called the JM1 reticle, and they also came out with two new ones this year. One with straight mil drop marks and one with straight moa drops. None of the reticles have wind holds but they all have an excellent daylight bright center dot.

Website shows a list of $1199 - what's the street price? At that type of list it may make sense to pony up the extra coin and go for the Vortex Razor which is highly thought of.

Optics planet has them for $799

If your going to step up you might as well go to a 1-6. It seems that the 1-4 is soon to be yesterday's scope. The Leupold VX6 is excellent in the 1-6 power with several reticle choices though none are great for hold over subtensions if that's important to you. Cost under $900.00. If holdover subtensions are important the Vortex 1-6 is a few hundred more.

Edited by mpeltier

They've yet to hit the streets but the digital oasis has them listed for under 700.

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/Burris-201001-Bur-Xtr-Ii-1x-5x-24-Ill-Qc-Mil-201001_p_28805.html#.UvsJ8vldV8E

Edited by mngunguy

Now what about the Meopta that my buddy is suggesting. How does it fair?

I liked mine. It has better glass and a better reticle in my opinion than the Burris, which it should for the price premium over the Burris. Their customer service is excellent. I damaged mine. Totally my fault and they fixed it, free, and with an apology. But the battery life (if you can call it that) sucked. For the same price though I like the Leupold VX6 better. Ultimately it's what you like, not your friend, me or anyone else. To get there you'll have to try a few differant scopes.

I'm using a Burris MTAC, the 1.5-6x. Been using it for a season and a half and it was a major improvement over what I was using before. I still struggle with shots at 550+ but quite a bit of that could be me. From 5 to 400 yds its nuts on with the BDC reticle, and I gained quite a bit of confidence (and local match placement) once I got it. The 1.5-6x is a big scope, but for whatever reason I forget about all that as soon as the buzzer goes off.

That said, a friend has the Vortex 1-6x with the JM reticle and now I have scope envy. Stupid friend, he should never have let me shoot his gun... Just got a Vortex PST 6-24x for the bolt gun and I'm really liking Vortex quality. Plus they have really good CS from what I understand.

I sold my trijicon to get a Meopta ZD 2 years ago and have been 100% happy with with fhe ZD. The glass is excellent, the reticle is simple and functional, the FOV is good, durability is good, illumination is good, size and weight are good and fhe eye relief is forgiving. I get about 40hrs from a battery at max illumination. It's a solid piece of kit. The Mtac is solid too as is the Vortex PST.

If your going to step up you might as well go to a 1-6. It seems that the 1-4 is soon to be yesterday's scope. The Leupold VX6 is excellent in the 1-6 power with several reticle choices though none are great for hold over subtensions if that's important to you. Cost under $900.00. If holdover subtensions are important the Vortex 1-6 is a few hundred more.

+1

I agree. Get the 1-6 and run the 1-4 you have now until you can afford it. Its tax return time so maybe you can.

Pat

No, it has a simple BDC called the JM1 reticle, and they also came out with two new ones this year. One with straight mil drop marks and one with straight moa drops. None of the reticles have wind holds but they all have an excellent daylight bright center dot.

I thought the MOA and MRAD both had wind holds on the 1-6?

My 3 gun buddy is encouraging me to step up from my Burris MTAC to something better.

Why? Is it because there is something you feel is lacking in your scope? Have you tried another scope and find something better? There is probably no reason to spend more money unless you can quantify what you hope to gain and balance it against the extra $$ you spent.

And unless you also shoot 3-gun, bear in mind that whatever advantage your buddy says you will gain may not apply to you.

I thought the MOA and MRAD both had wind holds on the 1-6?

Both the new VMR-2 reticles have wind holds.

sub_rzr-g2_s_1-6x24_vmr-2_moa-t.jpg

sub_rzr-g2_s_1-6x24_vmr-2_mrad-t.jpg

My 3 gun buddy is encouraging me to step up from my Burris MTAC to something better.

Why? Is it because there is something you feel is lacking in your scope? Have you tried another scope and find something better? There is probably no reason to spend more money unless you can quantify what you hope to gain and balance it against the extra $$ you spent.

And unless you also shoot 3-gun, bear in mind that whatever advantage your buddy says you will gain may not apply to you.

The one thing I did notice is that trying to find the 300 yard dot was hard to do and then to line it up with the target wasn't easy either. I felt the reticle was sort of small But maybe it was just me and I need more practice.