Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.5-8 Burris

sschultz

I shoot Open and use a 2.5-10x with an offset mini-red dot sight. It's a little "long" in some opinions. Price and performance wise, I'm pleased so far. 1.5-8 could well be a better fit for most matches that I expect to shoot.

I doubt I'd use a 1.5x-8 as my only scope in Tac Optics since it doesn't have a true 1x at the wide end. But that's me being hypothetical. I hate loading a shotgun so much (and my eyes work better with dots and circles) that I went Open and haven't looked back. Hence, my opinion may not be useful unless you are shooting Open.

If Tac-Ops, I would shoot a 1x and a 1.5x at 2-15 yards and see what you think. Don't know how good, or fast you are, but while it might be fine now, if you get better, it might not be any longer. I used 2-7, then 1.5-6 then 1-4...was happier and had better scores with each change.

I shoot in Open so my AR has a red dot at 45 degrees. Currently running a Burris MTAC 1-4X.

What I've found that any targets within 40 yards or so get shot faster with the red dot than the scope at 1x.

So most of my shots with a scope are beyond 40 yards and I find that the lowest power I use is 1.5x.

My next scope, when I decide to upgrade, might well be something in the 1.5-8x range. At this point, the only reason I would upgrade my scope is if I start shooting matches that have a lot more shots at 400 yards or more.

Bill

I shoot open and use a off-set red dot with a ACOG TA-11F. Tried a MTAC for a-little bit....good sight but I like the ACOG/Red-dot combo better. The Burris 1.5-8 only has a eye relief of 3.75"-4.0" which seems a bit tight and a 34mm tube ( I will need a new mount) but I may give it a shot. All my dealings with Burris have been positive>

I am going to make a trip to a gun store to look thru a 1.5 scope.

I had the same concern when I was looking at getting the Burris MTAC 1.5-6x, so I took my existing scope and set it on 1.5x and shot some close drills with it to see if it messed with my head or gave me a headache. It didn't, so I got the Burris and used it all last season. The 6x really helped me to see the targets at 300+ distance (I have crappy eyesight), and I didn't find the 1.5x to be a hinderance on close paper.

The extra size and weight of the 1.5-6x took some getting used to, but to be perfectly honest once the buzzer goes off I forget about all that. For the price its a decent scope and the reticle is pretty useful out to 300-400 yds. Beyond that, a better shooter might make it work for them but my hold at 550 yds with 69 gr SMKs is the donut hole in the outer ring. Maybe it'd be better with 75 gr bullets.

That said, I don't know how much longer I'm going to keep it if I can find something better at a price I can afford.

From what I've seen of the new Burris it has a dual focal plane reticle which would be nice. I was more worried about the close range targets with the 1.5. And like others have said my eye sight ain't getten any better as I get older

• 7 months later...

I got a chance to look at one of these this weekend, and OMG now I WANT one...

I too was hung up on the "but it's not a TRUE 1X" thought, until I shot a couple of matches with a scope and I realized I don't shoot 2 eyes open when the buzzer goes off (lifelong iron sight shooter) so the low end doesent matter nearly as much as someone used to a dot, I think...

So I just got one of these today and have spent hours messing around with it and am very impressed

I Have been comparing it to other scopes and so far I am super impressed!

Tomorrow I will be headed to the range to test it out.

I run offset iron Sights that are prototypes right now and they work really well so for close shots I use them because they are faster then

my vortex PST 1-4

So the scopes I have compared this with are the US optics 1-8 US optics 1.8-10 Vortex PST 1-4 Vortex Viper 1-6

As far as illumination goes this is as bright as anything I have ever seen.

Glass seems better then the PST and almost as good as the Vortex Viper but not quite as sharp. The US optics was close too but was defiantly sharper.

Field of view is better then either of the US optics scopes. and both eyes open was better then either of the US optics scopes even though the one clams to be a true 1x.

I am really excited about the zero stop on the windage knob. you can turn it 4.5mill in either direction before it hits the stop so its impossible for you to get lost.

The Dual focal plane reticle seems to work quite well but for now im going to wait till I shoot it a bit before I give my opinion.

The elevation know is quite stiff on mine and I am very happy with that. The windage knob moves easier and I am a little concerned it could get moved if I am in a stage with my gun slung over my back to start. Good news is its super easy to figure out if its moved and in what direction so if you look at it before you shoot you won't have any trouble.

If you guys have any questions or requests please ask and ill try to let you know as much about this scope as I can.

Shot about 60rds through this today from about 10 yards to 560 yards

Had a bunch of scopes on hand even the vortex razor 1-6 and a US Optics 1-8 and to be honest I like the Burris the best.

I was not expecting this scope to be as good as it is considering the price.

My friend and fellow three gunner also liked it best too.

The dual focal plane reticle is awesome! Illumination is awesome.

Zero stop is super easy to use and very positive. zeroing the scope took only three shots then turn two screws on each knob move them to zero and tighten back up and both elevation and windage stops are set.

One thing I don't like is that the bdc reticle gets thicker as you get to the longer ranges so it covers up more and more of your target. Another observation on the optics is that the glass is just as clear as the US Optics and almost as clear as the Vortex razor, however the US optics and the Vortex Razor are clear all the way to the edge of the glass and the Burris Gets a little blurry right at the edge of the glass, its not enough to bother me but its defiantly there.

Some might not like the 1.5x vs the Razor true 1x but for me the 8x is worth the trade. I use offset sights for the super close stuff anyway.

I have a match this weekend so we will see how it performs. I am really excited to shoot some of the long range shots!

Edited by JeremyV

I think the cost difference to true 1x is quite a bit, but quite useful. I have Bushnell Elite 1-8.5x and if I used 1.5x for close range, I do see some hesitation. But if I got used to it, not sure there would be that much difference for closer targets as I know where it is and when to shoot it as far as set course of fire goes. As for tactical use, yeah, leaving the field of view and coming back to it would take a bit longer.

I got my buXrris on sale from Liberty Optics for $879 including shipping! Defiantly can't beat it for the price. I am really impressed with this optic. the more I use it the more I love it.

Looks like they bumped it up to $999.

Did you catch a sale or have a mil discount?

On my match ARs I have an MTAC and two XTRs (1 x 4). I shoot open with a Burris FF3 mounted at 45 degrees. In practice I find that I rarely use the scopes set at 1X so in my case, I will probably look at a 1.5 - 8X for my next build.

Bill

If you dont mind the wait, Burris's mil discount is 50% off list price. I got the 1.5-8 with a FF3 w/tube mount and 34mm PEPR mount for ~$850. You have to contact them directly though.

I do not qualify for a mil discount. I was just wondering how Jeremy got such a good deal.

But I am glad to hear that Burris does treat our military well. That's the sort of thing I take into consideration when I spend my dollars.

Thanks.

I guess it was on sale. maybe call and ask if he will sell you one for the sale price.

Just shot my first match with this scope and it was amazing! The long range shots were so easy and the close ones were good too. I did use my offset sights on one of the really close fast stages but I would have even if I had a true 1x optic.

I ended up taking 3rd overall and 2nd in Tac optics. If I wouldn't have shot that one hostage with my pistol I would have won Tac optics but that's another story.

My friend used the Vortex Razor and is getting a Burris 1.5-8 XTRii instead! both of our decisions to go with the Burris had absolutely nothing to do with price.

This optic Rocks I could spot my bullet impacts on the steel and watch the splash at 200yards.I had one miss at steel at 100 but that was because of running and being out of breath.. I saw the miss right away and was able to follow up right away.

Calling shots on 200 and 300 yard steel is now possible.

I know this is off topic but I Had a lot of fun out shooting to day and got one step closer to my goal of becoming a professional shooter. right now I am a few points from simipro and ive only been shooting three gun a year and a half. my goal is to make it to pro by next year this time. I love this sport! and I love all the wonderful friends I have made! This website has helped me tremendously and I hope by sharing some of my experiences I can help out some others shooters.

I shoot Open and use a 2.5-10x with an offset mini-red dot sight. It's a little "long" in some opinions. Price and performance wise, I'm pleased so far. 1.5-8 could well be a better fit for most matches that I expect to shoot.

I doubt I'd use a 1.5x-8 as my only scope in Tac Optics since it doesn't have a true 1x at the wide end. But that's me being hypothetical. I hate loading a shotgun so much (and my eyes work better with dots and circles) that I went Open and haven't looked back. Hence, my opinion may not be useful unless you are shooting Open.

Michael,

Any chance you are shooting the Vortex PST with the FFP? I've been shooting the 2.5-10x mounted in a Warne scope mount. If you are using the same scope, how are you getting enough clearance to see through your mini red dot? The reason I ask is because I bought a Burris FF3 and Warne offset mount and the adjustment knobs on my scope stick out almost too much to mount the FF3 offset by the scope. Thinking I might have to put a riser or something on there.

Thanks,

Powderman81