Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Irons

I've shot on the silhouette range at Whittington, on days when the large, 30lb rams on the 500m line were blowing off the steel bases and those same rams will not go down with 223 hits.

And here i was thinking that centerfire 22's , 223 , were prohibited on the silhouette range at NRAWC , did they change the rule in the last 5 months because the sign was still up last Sept ?

Well, you know, us Colorado folks are troublemakers and law breakers these days, what with the magazines and maryjane and recalls and fracking and whathaveyou......

I WILL take this time to reiterate, however, WHAT we are trying to acheive with all this arguing over targets:

The GOAL is to allow a 3 GUN competitor to shoot a course of fire to his or her satifaction without having to discuss the unfolding event with the range officer or onlookers on the clock. PERIOD.

Such discussions might be, but are not limited to: "where's the 4th target?", "Did I hit that?", "I HIT THAT!!!", "...oh NO YOU DIDN'T!!!", "did I get everything?", "I'm HEARING hits but I'm not SEEING hits......", "HIT.....HIT.....HIT....oh wait, no hit on that 3rd one..."

Now discuss.....

ericm

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot on the silhouette range at Whittington, on days when the large, 30lb rams on the 500m line were blowing off the steel bases and those same rams will not go down with 223 hits.

And here i was thinking that centerfire 22's , 223 , were prohibited on the silhouette range at NRAWC , did they change the rule in the last 5 months because the sign was still up last Sept ?

Well, you know, us Colorado folks are troublemakers and law breakers these days, what with the magazines and maryjane and recalls and fracking and whathaveyou......

I WILL take this time to reiterate, however, WHAT we are trying to acheive with all this arguing over targets:

The GOAL is to allow a 3 GUN competitor to shoot a course of fire to his or her satifaction without having to discuss the unfolding event with the range officer or onlookers on the clock. PERIOD.

Such discussions might be, but are not limited to: "where's the 4th target?", "Did I hit that?", "I HIT THAT!!!", "...oh NO YOU DIDN'T!!!", "did I get everything?", "I'm HEARING hits but I'm not SEEING hits......", "HIT.....HIT.....HIT....oh wait, no hit on that 3rd one..."

Now discuss.....

ericm

Did you record that conversation? It sound all too familiar!

if you have trouble with a particular target then don't use it, if you have trouble with targets at a particular distance then don't shoot them that far.

does all this sound complicated????? simple works!!! keep stuff as simple as possible and things run smoothly, or smoother.

I was ROing a match where a hit on a target didn't count if it wasn't the target you told the RO you were shooting at, if all the steel fell then it wouldn't matter. It sucks as an RO to have to tell the shooter, SORRY that hit doesn't count, I know you hit a target but it wasn't the one you told me you were shooting at, so sorry.

Trapr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I opined last year about just folding all Heavy Metal into the various divisions and giving a scoring advantage to 20 rds of .308 or 10 rds of .45.

Configure your gear to shoot in whatever division you want (personally I think HM Open would be awesome).

Would a white sheet or piece of canvas draped behind an unpainted (paint black and allow it to become dark grey with hits) work for good target presentation for MGM flashers? Seems you could satisfy the target presentation and laziness about painting targets.

I like the idea of all falling steel, but one of my favorite things about traveling all the way to Fallen Brethren is the repetitive longer range rifle. I was hopeful that the 600+ yard target was going to be in play last fall, and disappointed that it wasn't even a bonus target.

That would work pretty well. We've been using a IPSC target turned sideways and white side out, then positioned behind the MGM flasher so that it creates a backer, centered behind the plate. Something bigger would allow the shooting position to be less defined.

Corrugated plastic political campaign signs work good as backers too. There are usually plenty of them left over in many sizes after an election. The material is not terribly expensive to buy at the local sign shop if necessary either and comes in several different colors.

Hurley

I ran across the perfect rifle target. It was a 4 moa square that sat in a cradle the holder that would actually fall when hit. Now I know that sounds crazy, but it would actually fall down off the cradle when hit. Then it is stood back up, given a quick.squirt of paint and it was ready for the next shooter. It was.amazing. Sadly I haven't seen one in the U.S. since S.O.F.

With respect to those who like irons. They are not just dying in this sport they are not being used as much in anything else either. Most of the military use some type of optic now, Same with LEO rifles. Hunters and sportsman also use optics. Irons are frankly becoming obsolete technology. Less and less people are familiar with them. Just the way things are. I am all for heavy metal but with optics. Basically heavy tac optics would be a fun division I think with a .45 pistol semi auto pistol, .308 semi auto rifle and I could live with either a pump or an auto shotgun.

Pat

Yes Pat, American shooting magazines sure got folks to think they need a 3-9X scope to shoot an elk at 200 yards...I mean you cant even see them that far away. American shooters now equate magnification with accuracy. Good propaganda for sure, but what you say is true.

While it is true that many people will never use iron sights anymore, I still like them. When I was teaching my daughter to shoot, I bought her a .22 with a rear peep sight, several of my friends said that I should put a scope on it because it would be easier for her to learn to shoot it. Shooting a scope is easier, but I wanted her to be able to shoot irons.

Hurley

Pat, but if a shooter knows how to shoot irons well, they can shoot anything well.

Stick a guy who is only comfortable shooting an optic on a rifle w/ iron sights and the same is not true.

I struggle with optics. But I know I can (or could) shoot irons. Sometimes I think I'm killing myself shooting the little black tac optic rifle, when I should be rocking .30 caliber. But a quick disclaimer, I may very well trying to equate what I could do in the past, with what I can do now.

I struggle with optics. But I know I can (or could) shoot irons. Sometimes I think I'm killing myself shooting the little black tac optic rifle, when I should be rocking .30 caliber. But a quick disclaimer, I may very well trying to equate what I could do in the past, with what I can do now.

a lot of us are toting that burden

For me shooting irons is about personal enjoyment.

The idea optics are necessary is a sentiment you hear time and again from shooters. Some recent posts have had shooters asking for resources on long range or precision shooting. A 15" flasher at 300 yards is not long range or precision shooting. There is not a lot to learn about putting a crosshair on a target that is close enough to see the paint knocked off of it when the round impacts. Shooting technique: sight picture, position, trigger control, and a reasonable understanding of your holds are better tools than any optic I can think of...

All the iron sight lovers should come to Finland this year, and enjoy a well designed rifle match where IRONS are not a dying division.

BTW, what has killed Irons in the USA, with regard to our competition, is simply laziness. Like Pat posted nonwillingness to work at shooting irons, like Kurt and I have posted nonwillingness to place targets fairly and adequately for all competitors, nonwillingness to make all targets as visible as possible, and creating way too many divisions.

but then all this has been posted and hashed and rehashed, and laziness prevails.

BTW, I went to the range the other day to verify that i could still shoot Irons, since I have been sponsored by an optics company for the last few years and haven't competed with irons, and since I plan on going to Finland this year..........survey said??? when I could see the target I hit the target all the way out to 400+ even on smaller than 4moa targets.

Trapr

I shoot on a tight budget and want the most enjoyment from the rounds I fire. Since what I enjoy the most is a challenge, I tend to gravitate to the more challenging divisions. Hard to see, easy to see... so long as everyone in my division gets the same hard to see targets I am happy. I enjoy shooting scopes and dots too cuz it's still shooting, but I enjoy the challenge of irons the best. Kurt's gonna poke fun, but I got into Superstion and am planning to run a dot this year, just to try something different. I think there are more factors against irons than lazy match directors though. As Pat mentioned, new competitors wanna shoot fast right away and glass is the enabler. Excellent eye sight is also a necessity that some simply don't possess.

Edited by co-exprs

co'exprs, I agree its not just lazy MD's, its just lazy all around, people do not want to put effort into learning how to shoot irons, and really who can blame them??? poor prize tables, unfair target presentations, low turn out, etc.

trapr