Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Pistol Prices

AICS308

id like to think that with less physical fitting work required,they put more attention to detail in getting a higher level of radial lug contact,slide fit and feel etc......

Well my point was that there is no such thing as less physical fitting... Because the parts they make and the parts the sell are just as oversized as others...

Other wise you run the risk of buying a part for a build or for replacement that fits loose..

so are you saying the sldes and frames are oversized when they are machined? i would think they would be machined to such a close tolerance that there would be far less fitting required to make them physically fit together. their barrels have a finished barrel hood length of 1.315,but the lower lugs are left oversized.i would think on their aet barrels that only go in their guns,that the barrel lug profile and thickness could be done on a mill simply based off math. am i misunderstanding?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id like to think that with less physical fitting work required,they put more attention to detail in getting a higher level of radial lug contact,slide fit and feel etc......

Well my point was that there is no such thing as less physical fitting... Because the parts they make and the parts the sell are just as oversized as others...

Other wise you run the risk of buying a part for a build or for replacement that fits loose..

so are you saying the sldes and frames are oversized when they are machined? i would think they would be machined to such a close tolerance that there would be far less fitting required to make them physically fit together. their barrels have a finished barrel hood length of 1.315,but the lower lugs are left oversized.i would think on their aet barrels that only go in their guns,that the barrel lug profile and thickness could be done on a mill simply based off math. am i misunderstanding?
I don't work there so I can't tell you for sure...

But they do sell their slide and frames just like Sti, and it would not be cost efficient to manufacture two specs (for sales vs internal)..

Common sense would dictate that for ultimate fit and last of fit, then fitting would be done after the manufacturing process (initially with a secondary mill or cnc, and then by hand with lapping compound)... I would bet that svi has a couple of smith work on the gun, each one specializing on a particular fitting process..

But as I said before I don't work there so I wouldn't know their inner workings...

If you are paying 5k for a gun, I would hope that the majority of the cost is on the man hours that go into fitting a gun to perfection. And not on machine time which is relative cheap compared to manual labor...

Cheers,

Los

I don't work there so I can't tell you for sure...

But they do sell their slide and frames just like Sti, and it would not be cost efficient to manufacture two specs (for sales vs internal)..

Common sense would dictate that for ultimate fit and last of fit, then fitting would be done after the manufacturing process (initially with a secondary mill or cnc, and then by hand with lapping compound)... I would bet that svi has a couple of smith work on the gun, each one specializing on a particular fitting process..

But as I said before I don't work there so I wouldn't know their inner workings...

If you are paying 5k for a gun, I would hope that the majority of the cost is on the man hours that go into fitting a gun to perfection. And not on machine time which is relative cheap compared to manual labor...

Cheers,

Los

i am going to pick up my svi from them in person in april.....i am going to see how they do it. im anxious to see how its done now. your right about the labortime vs machine time. ill report back after my trip down there....

That's a pretty neat idea. I think if i were to invest all of that dough i'd want to see the processes they do and how it's born.

thanks,im pretty excited about it.....me being a bit of builder myself,its exciting to see in person how its done :)

Edited by kl7883

That's a pretty neat idea. I think if i were to invest all of that dough i'd want to see the processes they do and how it's born.

thanks,im pretty excited about it.....me being a bit of builder myself,its exciting to see in person how its done :)

Nice you will love it...

I have considered svi, but the wait time and acess to a good local smith steered me away.

Cheers,

Los

Nice you will love it...

I have considered svi, but the wait time and acess to a good local smith steered me away.

Cheers,

Los

thanks bud. i appreciate that :)

You can't buy their frames or their AET barrels anymore. They reserve those for full in-house builds, that is what helps make them exclusive. I wish you could though ...

Ah I wasn't sure about the frames, they are listed on their site...

I didn't know about the AET barrel, I know they sell every other kind of barrel and bushing dough...

You can't buy their frames or their AET barrels anymore. They reserve those for full in-house builds, that is what helps make them exclusive. I wish you could though ...

Seems the AET barrels are allot slower than standard barrels, that would be a major downside for Ipsc or Uspsa no?

Wouldn't a AET shuemann barrel be almost the same? svi was using those at first weren't they?

Cheers,

Los

Edited by carlosa

I bet they don't let you go in the shop and look around too much. Liability and all...

If Trace hasn't seen it all I don't think they will let you have free reign in the shop.

Seems the AET barrels are allot slower than standard barrels, that would be a major downside for Ipsc or Uspsa no?

Wouldn't a AET shuemann barrel be almost the same? svi was using those at first weren't they?

Cheers,

Los

I have a Schuemann AET in my open gun and difference, as I understand it, is SVI does not have a fluted chamber. As far as the speed I have no basis in comparison. I can tell you that I do find it extreamly accurate but that may be due the guy who fit the barrel. ;) Edited by StraightUp_OG

haha! um........no :) have you every built a custom 1911?

I have, have you ever though that other people can fit parts to "perfection" using parts other than SV.

The arrogance and willful blindness of SV shooters rivals that of HK owners

Supermoto,

Please don't confuse loyalty with arrogance or blindness. I can only speak for myself, but it's well documented on here that I started with other custom and factory STI pistols for competition and Kimber, Baer, Springfield and Wilson Combat for duty. My opinion is based purely on my personal experience. At first it was just about the look of their pistols, but after buying my first one and getting to know and spend time with the Strayers and their Team, I was absolutely sold on their work ethic and commitment to excellence. Please keep in mind, that not only do I compete with these guns on the weekend, but I carry them daily at work. That is how much faith I have in their products.

Does this mean that the other Gunsmith's guns are bad.....nope, not at all. I have my taste and opinion, just like you do. As I've said before, it would be very boring if we all owned them same guns....

Edited by SV-COP

Cheers,

Los

I have a Schuemann AET in my open gun and difference, as I understand it, is SVI does not have a fluted chamber. As far as the speed I have no basis in comparison. I can tell you that I do find it extreamly accurate but that may be due the guy who fit the barrel. ;)
Dood I know I been following your thread! Your killing it!!!

I bet they don't let you go in the shop and look around too much. Liability and all...

If Trace hasn't seen it all I don't think they will let you have free reign in the shop.

oh i dont expect any kind of free reign there,that would be silly to expect that. i just wanna check some of it out.....in whatever aspect that may be. im just looking to be a tourist.........albeit a very attentive one :)

I certainly am not sponsored by anyone, the way I shoot. Furthermore, I have over the years been blessed to own and shoot full customs from Jardine, McClaren, Limcat, Burns and others too numerous to name. At this point, however, I have sold them all and shoot SVI Infinity exclusively, competition, CCW, and hunting. I do so for the following reasons:

1. They feel better in my hand, pointing and shooting, which I believe is a result of both design and materials.
  2. They are as more reliable than any other custom gun I've shot (well, the Jardine was equally reliable).
  3. They are more accurate than any of the customs I've shot.
  4. The customer service better than any other custom gun I've owned.
  5. The price is comparable to the best of the custom builds... or even less in some cases.

I bought two recently at either end of the specs. One was $3000 (used), the other was $5000 (but came interchangeable 10mm/45acp and Infinicoat).

Edited by guns_and_labs

The SV critics have yet to name a knowledgable smith that would pick a competitor slide, frame, etc. over SV parts if they had a choice. They way I look at it, most folks are happy with Husky tools from Home Depot. And some really like Craftsman. But others prefer Snap On. Yeah, they pretty much all do the same thing, but to say they are the same is ridiculous. The materials, manufacturing methods, quality, and performance are considerably different.

The SV critics have yet to name a knowledgable smith that would pick a competitor slide, frame, etc. over SV parts if they had a choice. They way I look at it, most folks are happy with Husky tools from Home Depot. And some really like Craftsman. But others prefer Snap On. Yeah, they pretty much all do the same thing, but to say they are the same is ridiculous. The materials, manufacturing methods, quality, and performance are considerably different.

You loose your reading glasses?

No. I didn't ask who uses competitor's products. Pretty much everyone does b/c they don't have a choice. The question was, do you know of any knowledgable smith that, given the choice, would pick the competition's frames and slides over SV. If you know of any, let's have the names.

I'm not making any accusations, just responding to what you posted about the competitor's products being comparable and SV stuff overpriced, etc. Good luck on proving your point.

Edited by ltdmstr