Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm 1911 options?

Jeremiah

I've shot CDP in IDPA mostly over the years along with a little SSP. I'm interested in trying a little ESP, but I need a gun to do it with. I have a tweaked S&W 1911 now that I use in CDP with all the standard competition upgrades on it (mag well, sights, action work, ect). I think I'd like to play around with a 9 mm in a 1911 platform. Since this is just an experiment, I want to go fairly cheap.

Should I look for a cheaper whole gun or get a slide and barrel for my current frame? Which way would you guys go, and with which parts?

Thanks.

I'm not an IDPA shooter but I just picked up a Para Pro Comp 40S&W for USPSA Single Stack. It's a lot of gun for the money, and Para just announced the Pro Comp in 9mm. I'd look into that based on what I've seen from the 40 model.

This site has always been great for quick replies! Thanks guys, I'll check into these early recommendations.

That range officer intrigues me a little. I like the stock bomar sights out of the box. Do they take standard sized mag wells? And how's their triggers out of the box, worth smoothing up, or do you have to replace parts?

If you stick with a single stack 9mm you will want mags that hold 10rnds or you will be at a disadvantage on occasion (arguably not often) . I have shot my Trojan 40 in ESP for practice and 9rnds is all you will get in those mags. Still fun!

This site has always been great for quick replies! Thanks guys, I'll check into these early recommendations.

That range officer intrigues me a little. I like the stock bomar sights out of the box. Do they take standard sized mag wells? And how's their triggers out of the box, worth smoothing up, or do you have to replace parts?

Yes, the 1911 magwell of your choice will work. Factory triggers can always be easily improved.

The Range Officer in a 9mm is not a cheap option, good option yes but not cheap. And the 45 RO I picked up at the store didn't need a thing, trigger was super smooth probably around 4 lbs. Very nice guns

And getting just a barrel for your S&W is probably not an option as I do believe all the 9mm in the 1911 platform have ramped barrels and I doubt your S&W frame is machined for one, difference is in the frame not the slide...

The Range Officer in a 9mm is not a cheap option, good option yes but not cheap. And the 45 RO I picked up at the store didn't need a thing, trigger was super smooth probably around 4 lbs. Very nice guns

And getting just a barrel for your S&W is probably not an option as I do believe all the 9mm in the 1911 platform have ramped barrels and I doubt your S&W frame is machined for one, difference is in the frame not the slide...

That's exactly right, I forgot about the ramped barrels in 9 mm. That's out...

+1 on the Trojan. The Dawson or Brazos competition ready pistols are sweet and run great. I did have to change out my mag release to a good forged one as the stock retaining pin kept camming out on me (even the 2 replacements STI sent). I got the good Dawson one and haven't had a problem one after over 8K rounds.

I vote for the RIA tac 2 in 9mm. A great gun for a really good price. It comes with VZ grips, a fiber front site and adj rear with white dots. Mine was $610 out the door. Lots of money left to buy everything else you need to start playing.

Chris

I had the STI Spartan in 9mm and it was 100% reliable but not very accurate. The S&W 1911 E series is a great pistol and shoots well but expensive for what you are getting. I have a Springfield RO in 9mm on order for $ 755.00 and can't wait to play.

Have both Spartan and Trojan, spend the little more for the Trojan it's worth it. What ever you select expect to spend a little to tune it.

If you can swing an Eagle it's easier to reload putting a narrow mag in a huge hole is quicker.

Once STI guns are tuned they then to hold up for quite a while.

I think I'd like to play around with a 9 mm in a 1911 platform. Since this is just an experiment, I want to go fairly cheap.

Should I look for a cheaper whole gun or get a slide and barrel for my current frame? Which way would you guys go, and with which parts?

I did this a couple of years ago and converted a 5" 2011 Eagle from .40SW to 9mm. it depends on what you call cheap, but I want to say it cost about $700 in parts (slide, barrel, extractor, FP, FPS, sights) not including my gunsmith's time to fit everything together. In the case of a 2011, it was way cheaper to do that then to buy a second gun. But in a 1911... depends on how much you like that S$W 1911 I guess.

I went with an STI slide, Kart X-act fit barrel/bushing, STI firing pin and stop, Dawson ejector, and Dawson sights. Mine is still in the white (I'll get it finished one of the these days) but that is add cost to consider as well.

On the other hand, I love shooting that gun. A 9mm 2011 is extremely fun, very soft shooting (I found that I much prefer shooting a 9mm instead of a .40 loaded to minor) and perfect for 3-gun with 140mm mags, Steel Challenge, or even IDPA with the 126mm mags. I even ground down an STI aluminum magwell to fit the IDPA box.

After looking around, I may end up with another gun. I'd love to get a STI, but if I did that it would probably end up my primary gun instead of a curious experimental fun gun.

Would you guys go with a Springfield loaded or a range officer? Or, is there something better in that price range? One guy mentioned a RIA, but would those be in that same class? I wasn't impressed with the last one of those I had my hands on.