Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD IPSC Production List Approval

EricW

In the interest of keeping stuff together, I am splitting off of this thread to address getting the XD approved/disapproved for the IPSC Production gun list.

In the interest of public disclosure, I spoke with Springfield Armory today. They confirmed that indeed the striker does rectract slightly upon actuating the trigger. The main issue for them is marketing and how they have described the trigger to potential customers as part of their marketing program. I'm hoping I've convinced them that giving IPSC a document(s) that demonstrate the XD/HS2000 should be technically classified a double action pistol is a *good* thing.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully SA will see fit to do what's necessary to allow the XD into its rightful home.

damn vince, you werent kidding. That thing is hideous, like something I'd find behind door number 1 of a bad blind date. I have always thought the XD's and Glocks were gorgeous, if for no other reason than being the new girl in school. That barak thing would make an onion cry.

They did not just hit that Barak with the ugly stick, more like: it fell outta the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Its grip reminds me of a garden hose's squirt nozzle & its topped off with a turd & they added a hunch-back just for good measure.

I really like Israeli guns but its safe to say the Barak will not be my choice for Production division in '05. Now that Civilian Tavor that Barret was showing on the Barak site - that's a done deal for 3gun if it makes it to the US.

I really don't want to rain on anyones parade ( ok, maybe a little ) but one of the disadvantages with the XD for IPSC Production is mag capacity. SA shows it as 15+1 for 9x19. Glock shows the G17 as 19+1. Since mag extensions are not allowed and the mags have to OEM equivalents, the XD is at a disadvantage, right ?

That being said, I have a XD-40 and love the thing. One day I may actually shoot it at a match :P

Reload a G17 then reload an XD and tell me what you want to show up for the party with. Yes, I know, Dave S. smokes his reloads, but the *average* person who doesn't invest as much practice time will progress much faster with the XD than the G17.

I also have faith that some creative person will simply swell the sides of the XD mag and manage to stuff an extra round or two in there. :ph34r:

Reload a G17 then reload an XD and tell me what you want to show up for the party with. Yes, I know, Dave S. smokes his reloads, but the *average* person who doesn't invest as much practice time will progress much faster with the XD than the G17.

I also have faith that some creative person will simply swell the sides of the XD mag and manage to stuff an extra round or two in there. :ph34r:

I and many others were able to fit 15 rounds of 9 into a 10-round .40 mag... 17 rounds shouldn't be too far off without any real mods. As far as reloads go, I was and am faster with the Glock. For me, a Glock with a magwell is the fastest thing to reload... faster than an S_I. The angle is just right.

I had an HS2000 that I ended up ditching, but I wouldn't mind trying a 9mm longslide... the longslide .40 I shot was awesome and I was hella fast on the plate rack with it (2.3x seconds @ 7yds from low ready). The awful reset and damn near impossibility of detail stripping turned me off, however.

XD...those guns are UGLY.

Hell, if being ugly was a disqualifying part of our criteria, there's a whole bunch of guns which wouldn't be approved by The Fab Five.

Have you seen the IMI Barak?

That picture is really doing a great injustice to the gun. It's really not that ugly up close.

...yeah, but still ugly nontheless. :P

By the same arguement that the striker moves back, well the HK P7 should be let back in too.  Besides the fact that you have to cock it before you can fire, you can see the striker move back before it is released.

The P7 was the other gun which was originally approved but subsequently withdrawn from the approved gun list, after IPSC arrived at our own definition of single action and double action.

Again, it really wouldn't bother me having the P7 approved but it would require us to modify our criteria. I'm not averse to doing so, but rewriting the criteria is easier said than done. In any case, I can't imagine there are many people who would want to shoot the P7 in IPSC competition. It's a fantastic gun for self defense, but it just doesn't cut it competitively (I know, because I used to own and shoot one).

The P7 is also unique in more ways than just being a squeeze-cocker. For starters, it wouldn't pass the minimum 5lb trigger pull, and we're certainly not going to drop the trigger pull test just because one relatively obscure gun can't satisfy our testing procedure.

The bottom line is that no matter how we cut it, some guns won't make the grade. Although the USPSA version of Production allows guns like the G34 to qualify, other Glocks such as the G17L and G24 are too long, hence it's just a matter of where you draw the line in the sand, and IPSC drew it a 5".

Just my .02 but here's what I think.

The XD is classed by most authorities as SAO and therefore does NOT meet the criteria for USPSA Production for:

"No single action guns"

"First shot must be double action"

I'm also in favor of USPSA implimenting the 5 lb first shot trigger pull.

If it was me I'd have the definition of a DA as the ability to re-strike with trigger pull, but that will never happen, so the 5lb trigger first pull would help level things out between the new striker design pistols and the traditional DA/SA pistols.

Guess I'll have to run for cover now. :lol::lol:

BerettaRacer- I'm also in favor of USPSA implimenting the 5 lb first shot trigger pull.

If it was me I'd have the definition of a DA as the ability to re-strike with trigger pull, but that will never happen, so the 5lb trigger first pull would help level things out between the new striker design pistols and the traditional DA/SA pistols.

Actually, I agree with you on a lot of this. Although the second hammer strike capability would eliminate the Para LDA. I would even go further and define DA as having an external hammer. That means no strikers allowed.

Let them have their own new class of modified production to include the Glocks, P7s, and XDs.

But the across the board 5lb min first trigger pull rule would be the simplest way to go.