Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How hard is it to remove the front sight on a Trojan?

NicVerAZ

I tried when I first got my Trojan, and actually tore up the little aluminum tool included with the Dawson sights. I finally took it to my gunsmith who had a 'tool' that would magically remove the sight. AFTER his $800 tool broke, he took a 5 lb sledge and 1/4 inch punch to it and beat it out of the slide.

He mentioned that he had never encountered one so difficult to remove.

Luckily, I shoot the hell out of this gun so the couple of minor scratches aren't a big deal to me with all the holster wear.

Good Luck!

I have since replaced the sight and it was very easy to remove, even with purple LockTite that he used. I think you need to remove it to the left side of the slide. Dawson has some videos on YouTube about sight removal and talk about the direction you need to remove it.

Edited by Trent1k1

do you intend to reuse the oe sight?make sure you are clamping it into a sturdy vise. any movement will prevent transfer of force.

if you have a heat gun, heat it up to help separate the slide and the sights. then try using the punch again. if you don't intend to keep the sight, you can cut it put carefully with a dremel if desired. just cut it in half and almost to the bottom. hit it hard and it will crack in two

I just replaced the front sight on my Spartan. Came out no problem. You have to remove it in the proper direction. Install isn't bad either. Just some minor fitting. Watched the you tube video. Piece of cake.

Never had a dovetail sight that wouldn't come out at all, but I have had stubborn ones. If it won't come out with the Dawson tool, throw a piece of 9mm brass over a steel punch and wail on it with a good sized ball peen with the slide in a vice. It'll come out.

And if reading this prevents any of you from buying a used gun from me ever, it just means that ignorance is bliss, because slide pusher or not, if your sight is in there as tight as some of them, there just simply isn't any other way. Even someone who has a much greater appearance of knowing what they are doing than I have will do the same thing, quietly, and behind closed doors. Don't be afraid to apply force. Just make sure you apply the force where it needs to be applied. That might sound easier said than done, but try to be patient and you will win. I haven't had one beat me yet.

I believe it's .180. I think i saw a .160 will work but the rear sight will be bottomed out.

Forgive the ignorance but what do you mean when you say that the rear sight shall be bottomed out if the height of the front sight is .180?

Thanks.

shoot the gun, and see where it hits. measure the sight on there now and figure out which one will work better. sometimes, depending on the gun and bullet grain used, a .160 will work better. bottoming out is not a big deal as long as it hits where you want it too. too high a rear cranked up can cause problems with the rear sight breaking due to sight bouncing on recoil.