Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trip to the ER

Sarge

FYI

Kidney stones that can't be treated with conservative measures — either because they're too large to pass on their own or because they cause bleeding, kidney damage or ongoing urinary tract infections — may require more invasive treatment. Procedures may include:
Using sound waves to break up stones. For certain kidney stones — depending on size and location — your doctor may recommend a procedure called extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (SWL). SWL uses sound waves to create strong vibrations (shock waves) that break the stones into tiny pieces that can be passed in your urine. The procedure lasts about 45 to 60 minutes and can cause moderate pain, so you may be under sedation or light anesthesia to make you comfortable. SWL can cause blood in the urine, bruising on the back or abdomen, bleeding around the kidney and other adjacent organs, and discomfort as the stone fragments pass through the urinary tract.

Pat, I'm not a doctor, but my wife had an extremely bad bout of kidney stones

(the entire left kidney was entirely filled with one huge stone).

Urologists don't seem to care what causes them - but they love to "cure them".

I have a feeling they're partially caused by lack of Vits D & B12 & B6 - without adequate

supplies of these vitamins, the calcium is diverted from your bones/teeth into your

kidney. But, I may be wrong.

If I had a kidney stone, I'd also be looking for signs of brittle teeth and/or bones. And,

I'd beef up my daily intake of the three vitamins, and lots of water.

Hopefully, we have a Urologist on our panel who can set the record straight. :bow:

Dehydration mixed with high levels of particulate in the blood with are filtered out by the kidneys to produce waste. The little stones suck because they have spines like a porcupine. The bigger they get, the better they smooth out.

Being well hydrated helps flush out those particulates that build up in the kidneys. Alcohol helps relax the muscles around the tubes leading to the bladder and increases the amount of liquid filtered out by the kidneys.

Regardless how they're formed or that treatment method, hope you're pain free soon, Sarge.

Edited by GreenDragon64

During the race at LeMans a few years back we had a driver ask to pitt this lap...we needed to run 4 laps about 16 minutes before a fuel stop, were told he did not think he could wait that long.His wife said we should bring him in as he may be having problems with a Kidney stone!!!

When we got him out of the car I have never seen someone in so much pain. It was a stone and he was cleared to drive later in the 24 hr race.

Tom