Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened to Brownell's Shotgun Dummy Rounds?

Ontarget

Just wondering what happened to Brownells's shotgun dummy rounds, a great product for practicing reloads. Why were they discontinued?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/cartridge-dummies/action-proving-shotgun-dummies-shotgun-dummies-12-ga-2-3-4-per-5-sku367-025-512-58848-16765.aspx

Edited by Ontarget

Just wondering what happened to Brownells's shotgun dummy rounds, a great product for practicing reloads. Why were they discontinued?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/cartridge-dummies/action-proving-shotgun-dummies-shotgun-dummies-12-ga-2-3-4-per-5-sku367-025-512-58848-16765.aspx

Why don't you call the folks at Brownells? They might know.

Pat

From what I've been told Remington isn't making them anymore.

If you know anyone that reloads you can make up some of your own. I use rounds with a high brass base, add media from my tumbler to take up that space where the powder would be and then add the wad and shot. Feels/balances just like a real loaded round and I can make up as many as I need. Mark them with a sharpie and use. When they get trashed I just make up more.

Neal in AZ

Would either of these work for what you want? I have a bunch of midway ones for reloading practice, and one brass one for each shotgun for storage.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/776843

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pro-shot-brass-snap-caps-12-gauge-semi-auto-two-per-package-12semi-sc.html

The problem with either of those is the price. Putting a dozen of those on your belt to practice reloads is $$$$$.

I hate to be all Danny Downer, but if you use dummy rounds that are made out of real hulls, at some time you will get real ammo mixed in! I know of two T.V.s a fridge and several pictures and one PERSON!!! that have been "dummy rounded" to death. I use live ammo for loading drills and boy am I carefully....because I know it is live!

Edited by kurtm

Plus I would probably get the white ones and write dummy all over it and draw all sorts of colors on it to make it as obvious as possible as a double precaution. But I am sure accidents still happen regardless what you do, so back to my previous statement :cheers:

Snap caps are okay but they are light. I have only four old weighted ones for cowboy shooting but that is clearly not enough for modern 3gun. I keep the dummies in the house and the hot rounds in the garage and have had no trouble with that routine. I have thought about reloading for shotgun but what I have heard is the price break is out a zillion rounds. Pat, hook me up!

I just went out and bought a lee load all and some shot cups and shot and load my own. My plan was to make them and sell them to recover the cost of the press but I've not had time to perfect my process to the point that I feel confident to sell them (I'm a bit of a perfectionist). They work fine and the crimps look good but I've noticed that the dummies run .020" longer than a factory round and i haven't figured that out yet.

I just went out and bought a lee load all and some shot cups and shot and load my own. My plan was to make them and sell them to recover the cost of the press but I've not had time to perfect my process to the point that I feel confident to sell them (I'm a bit of a perfectionist). They work fine and the crimps look good but I've noticed that the dummies run .020" longer than a factory round and i haven't figured that out yet.

You will find more than 0.20" variation between manufactures. Shotshells do not have a OAL loaded standard.

I made some recently. I try and only shoot Remington Nitro in matches so I started with some Gray Win AA hulls and loaded a Lee 1oz slug in backwards with a plastic shot card on top. Used a Ballistic Products roll crimp. I don't use AA in matches but they are as comparable to a Nitro as you can get. Made a dozen in about 15 minutes or so.

You will find more than 0.20" variation between manufactures. Shotshells do not have a OAL loaded standard.

Did not know that. I was comparing the dummies I made to a factory hull and the dummies were tight in the caddy, where the factory were not. Maybe I am making more acceptable dummies than I thought. thanks pat.

In case anyone is curious about the process I use, I press out the primer, drop some paper towel into the hull and press the shotcup onto that. Then fill with shot and crimp. i then seal the top center of the crimp and the primer hole with some hot melt just in case. I then blacken the brass with black magic marker just to help with keeping things separate.

I hate to be all Danny Downer, but if you use dummy rounds that are made out of real hulls, at some time you will get real ammo mixed in! I know of two T.V.s a fridge and several pictures and one PERSON!!! that have been "dummy rounded" to death. I use live ammo for loading drills and boy am I carefully....because I know it is live!

Truly "Dummy" rounds eh...

The ones I got from Amazon B's dummy rounds.. They are pretty solid, the weight is there and all that other good stuff. My only beef with them is they are pricey. You get 9 for around $30 and you can choose from various colors. But I still treat them as live rounds, but I am going good to color the brass black that seems like a good idea.

I've been looking and it seems everything ever made has been discontinued. I finally found that carbon arms had some on their website. As I was in the process of adding to cart the item disappeared from the site just a few weeks back. Talk about luck... guess I will have to find someone to make a box. What is available is snap caps which aside from being mostly overpriced, especially if you want basically a box of shells, is not very good for practice loading IMO.

X2