Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Trojan 5 & Tripp Magazines: what OAL?

NicVerAZ

This may be better in the reloading forum, I am not sure, but my question is: what type of OAL do recommend for my (on its way) Trojan 5 in 40 S&W?

Should I load long and go for 1.125" ?

I also ordered the 10-round Tripp Magazines to shoot Limited 10 as well.

Thanks!

When i had my trojan. i load 1.20 ... But then again this was a gunsmiths gun... normal untouched barrel are to receive factory length but sometime you can go longer depending on the bullet profile...

Did you order the 10mm mags or the 40 mags? Else you won't be able to load any longer than factory length. As long as i shoot round nose it doesn't matter if I load long or short.

If you've got the 10mm mags load +/- 10mm length if you've got the 40 mags load factory length. "It'sa simple"

Enjoy your new gun

Like BlueVFrank said, it depends on which mags you use/get. I have some 9-rnd Tripp Cobra .40SW mags that the longest OAL I can load to is 1.165". Which is a PITA because I normally load .40 to 1.180" for my 2011's. If I get serious about shooting SS in .40 (right now when I shoot SS it is in .45), I will probably sell the .40SW mags and replace them with 10mm mags so I can use the same ammo I load for Limited.

I wonder if you all know that you can use your 45 ACP mags and save yourself some trouble. I load for my Tripp Custom, Trojan and my Predator Tactical (shipped with 2 Wilson ETM 45 mags) at 1.180 with no issues. 180 gr TC Bayou Bullet, 5.3 gr W231, Tula Sm Rifle Primer and 1.180" OAL. been at 173-175 PF at all the ranges I shoot at. I also use a combination of Wilson 47D and ETM 45 ACP Mags. JMHO

BTW I have tested other 45 ACP mags including Shooting Star, Chip McCormick's power and non-power 8s and metalform. They all worked well also. And the 45 ACPs will hold 9 40 S&W so no Barney on your first one. Bonus!!!

Edited by Jammer1911

I wonder if you all know that you can use your 45 ACP mags and save yourself some trouble. I load for my Tripp Custom, Trojan and my Predator Tactical (shipped with 2 Wilson ETM 45 mags) at 1.180 with no issues. 180 gr TC Bayou Bullet, 5.3 gr W231, Tula Sm Rifle Primer and 1.180" OAL. been at 173-175 PF at all the ranges I shoot at. I also use a combination of Wilson 47D and ETM 45 ACP Mags. JMHO

BTW I have tested other 45 ACP mags including Shooting Star, Chip McCormick's power and non-power 8s and metalform. They all worked well also. And the 45 ACPs will hold 9 40 S&W so no Barney on your first one. Bonus!!!

The Tripp Corey mags in 10mm hold 9 as well, and if you swap the hybrid follower for the metal they will hold 10, is you ever get the itch to shoot you're single stack in limited 10.