Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather shooting gear

It's looks like the weather is not going to be favorable for the Hard as Hell multigun match this weekend. With a high of 37 during the day and lows in the 20's does anyone have any advice of how to dress so I don't freeze to death. I plan on layering with 3-4 layers similar to what I would wear when hunting. Under armore first, flannel, then light insulated pull over with an insulated jacket on top.

++ on the handwarmers. I like to have a big warm windproof coat I can throw on over everything else. I just take it off when I go to the line. I also like a windproof golf shirt/pullover. I can tuck it in so it doesn't interfere with the draw.

Have you seen the course?!?! I think we'll probably all be soaked with sweat wearing a tshirt and shorts :)

I'm going with an Under Armour top layer, a thin non-cotton long sleeve, long sleeve shirt, and a coat for when I'm not running a stage. For bottoms I'd think UA and normal pants should be fine.

There's a stage with an obstacle course and a mud/water pit......... not sure how well it's going to end with the low temps.

These really work, put one of the lower back pads over your base layers and under your outer shirt. It will keep you warm while you've got your coat off during the make ready and shooting. They last all day.

http://www.thermacare.com/lower-back-and-hip-heatwraps

Depending on the condition of your knees, these really help as well.

http://www.thermacare.com/knee-and-elbow-heatwraps

Rather than trying to use gloves for taping, resetting props, etc... use a, ...wait for it,....Hand Muff.

http://www.target.com/p/grabber-hand-muff-with-warmer-pocket-blaze-orange/-/A-13811148?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C13811148&CPNG=Accessories&kpid=13811148&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13811148&gclid=CLSTvYvnlLsCFQbl7AodvR0AzQ

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Camo-Fleece-Hand-Muff/product/10221151/

Get some good pants!

I have a pair of Columbia snowboard pants that are fantastic.

Wind and water resistant, warm as hell, taped seams and pockets, gaiters at the bottom, super light and flexible . . AND they have belt loops that will fit a CR speed underbelt or safariland underbelt through!

Cant recall the model name. . . but they also make them for women as the "Back it Up" pant.

Merino wool socks and good boots for the feets . . . Thin high performance warm wear for the top, layered . . .

It is going to be very cold this weekend. Have some snow now down in Dixie. Definitely wear some Gor-Tex type boots, a good beanie/stocking cap, and I like the Under Armour cold gear as a base layer. I like to have hand warmers that go around your waist and then just flip them around to your back when you're shooting.

Don't wear anything cotton. It holds moisture. Polypropylene base layer, fleece layer next, a wind/water proof breathable shell on top. You can shed layers as necessary. You may also want to consider a oversize down parka to wear over it all and remove it before your up to shoot. Remember that you can always remove layers as you warm up, but you cannot add layers you left at home.

^Good advice. This is elk season for me and I typically hunt in 0 to 20 degree weather. I wear an UnderArmor base layer, a medium weight fleece layer and then a wind and water blocker outer layer. I love the Cabelas stuff, especially their snow paks for the feet and the Dry-Plus outer layers. When I am actually walking, I usually take off the outer layer to keep from sweating. I have found that if I keep my feet dry and warm, my head warm and my hands warm, I can actually wear jeans and a sweatshirt down to about 20 degrees and still stay warm if I am active. If I get hot, the gloves come off first to shed some heat.

Get some really good socks (wicking and not too thick) to go with good boots and that will be the best first step.

Another thing to consider with boots. If your boots fit just right with regular socks, your feet will freeze if you jam in extra thick socks. Better off wearing regular socks in that case.

The man's right. Insulation comes from heating tiny air pockets and having it as a buffer between your body and the cold. Mo air pockets, mo warmer. Compress the materials, not so much.

It w

I live in Southern California, 50 is cold too me. Thank you all for the advice

I live in Dallas, today is is right now 16 deg. the say we will get up to 32 by maybe Wednesday.
It will be in high 30s low 40s on Sunday according to the Weather Channel app

I use the old school jon-e handwarmers fired with lighter fluid. The small one easily run 8 hours of real heat. I also have a Milwaukee brand heated jacket that really keeps me warm. It also runs about 8 hours.

Dave

Another thing to consider with boots. If your boots fit just right with regular socks, your feet will freeze if you jam in extra thick socks. Better off wearing regular socks in that case.

The man's right. Insulation comes from heating tiny air pockets and having it as a buffer between your body and the cold. Mo air pockets, mo warmer. Compress the materials, not so much.

Thats the exact principle the underarmor coldgear 3.0 works on. The interior is a grid that creates air pockets/flow. Love the stuff.