Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond vs CERAKOTE

SMS2

Any advice especially from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of purchasing another open gun. I presently have one in hard chrome and one in Ion Bond. The one I am purchasing was just refinished in cerakote which I have no I have no experience with. The upper and lower as well as the comp (Bedell Titanium) has been cerakoted. I know that some finishes, while perhaps fine for Limited, will not hold up to the abuse of an Open.

Any insight as to the practicality, or any issues for that matter, of using cerakote on an Open.

Thanks,

Stephen

Got it on my Open gun and so far so good. The nice thing is it is fairly inexpensive, just about re do it once a year at Cerakotes price point. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd shoot the crap out of it and when it wears replace it with whatever you want.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've learned it seems to have some properties, such as hardness, oxidation resistance, lubricity, as well as layer resistance, that exceed those of Ion Bond.............which I've been very pleased with. Any thoughts or experience as to how or if it would hold up on a compensator?

Thanks

Stephen

From my experience cerakote holds up nice and is a very attractive finish as long as its done right/professionally. But I've never seen it on a TI comp so I'm interested to see how it does. I have a bedell upper I'm thinking about having cerakoted for a two tone with the hard chrome frame, but I'm unsure if I should do the comp?

Cerakote seems to hold up well on the comp ports but if it touches any part of a holster it will show wear signs fairly quickly. I think builders like cerakote because the prep is quick with just sand blasting unlike poslished hard chrome where every little scratch will show through.

Thought I would pass this on from another thread I just came across. It seems the consensus is that aside from Hard Chrome wearing better aesthetically it also maintains a tighter slide to frame fit over time as gun wears as opposed to others finishes..

I've done pistols with Cerakote. on CZ's and Glocks there is no problem with the frame/slide fit. I've done a few STI's and they need a little love to get the frame and slide together. you can scrape the coating of the frame rails and use some lapping compound.

cerakote done right is some work.

function check the safeties and the pistol (customers always bring perfect functioning pistols...)

clean the gun (sometimes I get some lead/powder residue with a inside a pistol...

sandblast (I prefer to make some wire hooks on smaller parts before sandblasting, it is not fun to search for small farst in a sandblasting cabinet)

soak in aceton for 30 to 60 min

gas out in the oven for 60 min

cool down / prepare the coating

coat (doutone you have to clean your airbrush in between colors)

bake for 120 min

check your work, maybe do a retouche and clean your airbrush etc

reassemble and funtion check

but you can do it all yourself, hard chrome isn't something you do at home

I agree with Tommy. Cerakote is a fine product if all the steps are taken. Yes you can do it at home. I also agree that hard chrome is the best all around finish I have ever had.

I bought a sand blast cabinet an oven and built myself a filtered paint booth to do my stuff in cerakote.

post-19787-0-61398800-1386937793_thumb.j

post-19787-0-98908600-1386937834_thumb.j

post-19787-0-10321100-1386937855_thumb.j

post-19787-0-73505000-1386937923_thumb.j

post-19787-0-42151900-1386937813_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I've got a lot of draws in dry fire and live fire on my CORRECTLY Cerakoted guns and you can barely tell. I've posted pictures numerous times in threads like these so do a little digging and you'll see. Is Cerakote hard chrome, no but nothing is. What it is is one hell of coating that retains oils and looks damn good.

cerakote seems slippery to me. which could be good on the rails etc for lubricity. But not if you have to rack the gun from a table start etc.

I like more traditional finishes. Blueing, Hard Chrome, etc