Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree side mount/open ported

SMS2

Hi........new to the forum and would appreciate any light you can shed on the problem below.

Hoping someone can offer some advice with an conflict I'm having. I recently began using a Cameron 90 degree side mount for my C-More on my 9 major and find it a significant advantage over the traditional horizontal C-more mount I have on my Akai open. I added a Cameron to the Akai and shot it for the first time yesterday since mounting. Unlike my other open the Akai has a ported Schumann hybrid barrel. While its performance was great after 50 rounds the lens on the Cmore had taken a substantial beating. Thought I had ruined the lens but fortunately after 10 minutes of hard work I was able to restore the lens to its original condition.

I can't add a blast shield as the sight view would be completely obstructed and don't want to have to revert to the old mount. I was thinking that perhaps a thin layer of Vaseline might protect the lens without obfuscating the target to any significant degree.

I was hoping that others might have dealt with this same issue and have some advice.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Stephen

I have the same problem. I'm intrerested to hear what others are doing as well. I keep several packages of pre moistened lens wipes in my range bag and clean the lense after every stage at matches or when needed while practicing.

Every open gun I've had has had a side mount at one time or another, except for the one with the micro dot. Every gun I've had has had substantial porting. The lens always gets dirty, I always shoot with two eyes open and can see the dot fine regardless. There is no pre fix and I don't recommend a blast shield. Not only will the ports chew them up quickly, they add muzzle flip to the gun in my opinion (many people will debate this, but I'm quite certain). All side mounts vary with regard to where the lens ends up, obviously check to make sure the lens is not litterally covering a port vertically and you should be fine.

If you're a man (female grease is less effective), you can use the grease off of your nose to quickly and easily clean the hard stuff off your lens, then finish up with the alcohol wipe. This last sentence is not a joke. I don't feel like explaining it, just try it and see.

that's why I don't use the 90 degree mount... I now keep some wet lens cleaners in my bag.... wipe my lens down after about 3 stages... slower burning powder will coat your lens quicker than fast burning powder

Could you not put a few layers of tear off sheets over the lens that you pull of when one is dirty .

I mean just like the sheets they use on the vizers of helmets on a dirt bike .

I tried to post the same thing earlier but the forums locked up. I think it's time for somebody to make some tear off lens covers!

I run 4 port hybricomp barrels, and use the cheely setback and the Quinn 2 mounts

The Quinn mounts the lens a tad higher, and I may have to clean it every 3-4 stages

The cheely I'll clean the lens in the morning and it's good all day

Thanks to every one who chimed in. It is abundantly clear that I am not suffering this problem alone. Just to be clear when using the traditional horizontal mount, after 100 rounds or so, there would be some minor build up of black dust on the lens. However, with either a bit of windex and a cotton barrel patch it took very little effort and maybe 30 seconds to make the lens as new with no residual. With the 90 degree mount after 50 rounds, from the center out, a thick black plaque like substance, no longer just the dust, had affixed itself to the lens and appeared unwilling to go anywhere. After 5 minutes I had made so little progress that I was certain the lens finished. However in the end, after lots of windex, lots of very intense rubbing, and the use of the carbon end of a lens pen it appeared as new.

From everyone's input certainly the plastic cover sheets would be an ideal resolution. always shooting with a clean lens yet the lens never at risk. I am going to see if I can order some of the thin pliable sheets and make a mold, like a cookie cutter, that will allow me to cut a perfect size and create a few hundred in an hour or so. If successful I will let you all know and make it available to all.

Not sure about the "nose grease", never knew it existed, let alone that I had any, :blush: until "Whoops" mentioned it and don't dismiss it for a minute.

Before posting this thread I thought for certain that I would have to give up, despite my affection for it, the 90 degree mount on the ported open guns. But it appears from the experience shared here that if, at the least. I carefully clean the lens after 25 rounds or at most 1 stage the lens should remain clear, perform and last as long as if it were on a horizontal mount w/blast shield.

Would anybody disagree with what appears to be what I have taken away from this discussion?

Again thank you all for helping a "new guy"

Best,

Stephen

I would be interested in some pre-made translucent lens covers if you start making them specifically for C-mores. The hard plaque stuff is where the nose grease comes in, just rub it around with your finger and it should then be relatively easy to clean the lens.

I run Cheely setback mounts on my Akai's. When I run my HS6 load, the lens is dirtier.

With 3N38, it stays pretty clean.

the setback mount works awesome for guns with ports. i went from a camerons to a set back its a night and day differance. I have 3 popple hole in my trubore barrel. i ould have to clean my lens every stage. now i clean it maybe once a match. this is using hs6 also.

I am changing my gun to a 90 for the same reason to get the cmore out of the way of my barrel holes. I chose a Cheely Set back but I was wondering can anyone show pics of there cheely set back with the cheely long slide racker? From the pics I have seen it looks like the charging handle barely sticks out past the cmore. I have a match this up coming weekend and just trying to make sure I order the correct parts so I am not in a bind. Thanks everyone

The slide racker sticks out past the scope mount about .75". It's enough to get your finger on there, anything longer and it's just way too long.

Matt you are the man good sir!!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond with exact information. Does it need to be bent at all?

The slide racker sticks out past the scope mount about .75". It's enough to get your finger on there, anything longer and it's just way too long.

Matt you are the man good sir!!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond with exact information. Does it need to be bent at all?

It works as is, but you can bend it up a bit. Stop before it would rub on the scope.

Since posting I have tried several things that were discussed in this thread as well as those told directly. One suggestion from B_Seehawer (thanks) was to use a small mixture of vinegar and toothpaste. While I have no tried it yet I will this week. RainX also sounds like a plausible idea and will try that also.

I did try a thin layer of MC2500 oil but it was a non-starter.

However, the most important finding that was revealed over the last week of shooting,( Schumann hybrid 4 port Akai) was that if I took a moist towel, meaning any liquid; from water to mild cleaning agent with cloth, this could be a Kleenex, soft towel, optic cloth, etc., really anything soft and moist, - and after every complete mag -20 rounds- gently wipe the lens with the damped cloth. I have found that with extremely light pressure that the lens is as new again in 15-20 seconds. The trick is not allowing the carbon and whatever other chemicals to remain on the lens long enough to bake and build up a layer of plaque.

In conclusion what I've found from speaking to others as well as experimenting is that I can continue to use, in my evaluation, the vastly superior 90 degree mount on my ported open guns. I can do this without diminishing its lifespan or the quality of the lens during that lifespan. It will remain just as clear and sharp for as long as one on a horizontal mount w/blast shield so long as it is cleaned and maintained as stated above.

Hope this helps and thanks to all who joined in.

It works as is, but you can bend it up a bit. Stop before it would rub on the scope.

Matt............I have 3 of your short slide rackers, 2 curved 1 straight. How would you suggest I go about bending the 1 straight one?

Thanks