Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 brass processing steps

Nimitz

I'm sure this has been discussed before but a quick search didn't really yield what I was looking for ... feel free to post a link to answer my question:

what's the typical order of the steps that folks process 223 in?

Do you setup one toolhead to process & another to load?

I have a 650 so it seems I could do the following as a workflow:

1. tumble

Toolhead 1:

2. FL resize/deprime

3. trim w/RT-1200

4. swage with Dillon 600

Toolhead 2:

5. resizing die backed off to just use decapping pin for media removal

6. prime & powder

7. bullet seat

8. crimp

I don't own a Dillon, so my steps are a bit different, but I do it a little differently:

1. Tumble

2. Lube and decap on a single stage

3. Tumble to remove lube

4. Trim and swage (if necessary)

Then all of my steps are pretty much the same, after that. I use the single stage to avoid contamination from my lube (I use the Lyman spray lube, because I like it best of what I've tried, but it doesn't clean up easily.), and so that I can take a crack at cleaning the primer pockets a bit.

1. Tumble

lube will dillon spray on lube

Resize and depirme on small base redding die on Forster Coax

Tumble again to remove lube

trim on Giraud trimmer

Feed clean, processed brass in Dillon 550-Us Dillon powder measure, ramshot Tac powder, Redding competition seating die, Lee factory crimp die.

Doing everything on a 550.

I'll tumble to remove dirt for an hour or so

Lube, resize

Wet tumble then inspect cases

Trim, swage debur and chamfer

Tumble again to remove shavings

Load with a universal decapper die in station 1 to make sure the flash hole is clear and lee dead seater die in station 3.

I use a separate tool head for resizing, eventually I will buy the Dillon trimmer for this tool head as well, and the swagger bar for the 550 to speed up the process. I'll then only have to chamfer and debur off of the press. Size, swage, and trim will all be done at the same time on the press.

Get the RCBS X-die. Then once you get all your brass trimmed to 1.74, use the X-die with it's mandrel screwed down to keep the brass from growing. You can then take the RT 1200 trimmer off your Dillon toohead and use the toolhead for something else.

If you put a RT1200 on a Dillon 550 toolhead, do you still have room for other dies?

and the swagger bar for the 550...

Just curious.. what is that?

G.S. Custom swager. You remove the primer system and bar and install this guy which goes up through the shell plate. You use it like you would do seating a primer except it removes the crimp. Just one less thing I have to do off the press since I don't have a 1050.

Get the RCBS X-die. Then once you get all your brass trimmed to 1.74, use the X-die with it's mandrel screwed down to keep the brass from growing. You can then take the RT 1200 trimmer off your Dillon toohead and use the toolhead for something else.

If you put a RT1200 on a Dillon 550 toolhead, do you still have room for other dies?

I run a small base sizing die across from my Dillon trimmer on the same tool head. No way would I cut brass that short personally.

Pat

That's in the instructions for the X-die, to trim the brass 0.020" under the max length.

I screwed up on the first batch I did with the Possum Hollow trimmer chucked in a drill. I trimmed to 1.73" . But I loaded them up and they shot fine. Accuracy was fine too.

I just went with some starting load for Varget.

Here's how I do it on a 650:

1. Tumble to start with clean brass

2. Size and deprime in station 1

3. Dillon trimmer in Station 4

4. Tumble to remove lube

5. Universal decapping die in station 1 to remove cleaning media in flash hole

6. Prime, powder, seat, and crimp as normal

This is a lot of work...thats why I going to a dedicated 22LR upper for practice...maybe even an airsoft to practice at home.

Very close to what I was doing. I had a universal decapping die in stage 1 then nothing in stage 2 then RT-1200 in stage 3 fot trimming and sizing that completes the prep stage. I used imperial sizing wax to lube but some use one shot and then loaded as normal

You should be Sizing and Decapping in Station 1, not just decaping. What your doing is trimming before sizing. Sizing also strectches the brass.

G.S. Custom swager. You remove the primer system and bar and install this guy which goes up through the shell plate. You use it like you would do seating a primer except it removes the crimp. Just one less thing I have to do off the press since I don't have a 1050.

The G.S. Custom swager only works on on a Dillon XL650, no a 550.

Very close to what I was doing. I had a universal decapping die in stage 1 then nothing in stage 2 then RT-1200 in stage 3 fot trimming and sizing that completes the prep stage. I used imperial sizing wax to lube but some use one shot and then loaded as normal

You should be Sizing and Decapping in Station 1, not just decaping. What your doing is trimming before sizing. Sizing also strectches the brass.

I thought the trim die is a full length size die (perhaps even a small base sizing die).

I size in station one to about 80% than finish size at the RT1200. You need to have the RT1200 perform some of the sizing to keep the case stable in the die while the RT spins away.

I think the RT1200 trim/size die leaves a very tight case. Truth be told I might prefer a little less sizing as when I seat my bullets there is a little noticeable "waist" where the base of the bullet is seated to.

I thought the trim die is a full length size die (perhaps even a small base sizing die).

I size in station one to about 80% than finish size at the RT1200. You need to have the RT1200 perform some of the sizing to keep the case stable in the die while the RT spins away.

I think the RT1200 trim/size die leaves a very tight case. Truth be told I might prefer a little less sizing as when I seat my bullets there is a little noticeable "waist" where the base of the bullet is seated to.

You are correct, the Dillon trim die is a FL sizing die. I just never set mine up to size fully, since I'm sizing in station 1. I only set the die far enough down so It holds the brass and trims. I have measured the cases after FL sizing in station 1 (with a std Dillon Size Die) vs what comes out of the trim die, and the brass is identical in size on the neck, the setback and all the way down. But If you wanted to size fully size using the Trim die, You can.

He sells one for a 550. I just bought it, haven't received it yet. It's on eBay.

He sells one for a 550. I just bought it, haven't received it yet. It's on eBay.

Now I learn something new every day - Thanks.

Using the swage gizmo in lieu of the priming seater is interesting. Think about it, and I wonder if Dillon will warranty it. Dillion's is designed to press up a primer in the pocket and the swage gizmo is opening up the pocket for the primer. I could be wrong, but I think the upward pressure of a primer is less than the swage button. The primer is press fit with a ram that is about the same diameter as the primer itself, so the pressure is spread out evenly. With swage, I don't know. The swage gizmo sounds like a time saver, but does Dillon think the shell plate is taking on too much upward pressure? Dillon where are you on this gizmo?

Dog

Using the swage gizmo in lieu of the priming seater is interesting. Think about it, and I wonder if Dillon will warranty it. Dillion's is designed to press up a primer in the pocket and the swage gizmo is opening up the pocket for the primer. I could be wrong, but I think the upward pressure of a primer is less than the swage button. The primer is press fit with a ram that is about the same diameter as the primer itself, so the pressure is spread out evenly. With swage, I don't know. The swage gizmo sounds like a time saver, but does Dillon think the shell plate is taking on too much upward pressure? Dillon where are you on this gizmo?

Dog

I'd like to hear what Dillon thinks but knowing how sharp they are, I believe that if it was something that would work (without damaging the press) they would already offer it.

JMHO.

Bill

Dog

I'd like to hear what Dillon thinks but knowing how sharp they are, I believe that if it was something that would work (without damaging the press) they would already offer it.

JMHO.

Bill

Dillon in another thread said they would not warranty if this is used. (Cannot locate the thread now although this thread aludes to it - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184900&hl=+650 +swager&page=1 (post #9)

Edited by GuildSF4

Bill

Dillon in another thread said they would not warranty if this is used. (Cannot locate the thread now although this thread aludes to it - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184900&hl=+650 +swager&page=1 (post #9)

I knew it sounded too good to be true. Does anyone know of another way to swage .223 and 9mm on the 650 press? The Super Sawager 600 is nice, but I prefer to skip a step and do it on the tool head.