Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" vs 16" bbl, what do you think?

DrLove

Horse beat to death!

It really will make little to no difference in your overall score. I run an 18 because I like the rifle length gas system, rifle length handguard and the balance of a longer barrel. Plus I get all warm and fuzzy thinking about the extra velocity I get over a 16.

You will do just fine with your 16. Just make sure it has a GOOD ZERO!!

• 2 weeks later...

18" barrels are inherently more accurate than any other barrel length, it's been scientifically proven ;)

My $0.02 - Take what you've got, zero it, shoot the heck out of it. 10-12k rounds later when you've shot that barrel out you'll know what you want next.

Between a 16 and 18; velocity makes no difference and there is no difference in maneuverability if the rifle itself is balanced. It is the lower pressure at the gas port of the 18" rifle gas that reduces the recoil impulse while still having good lifespan. Non "lined" 16" barrels lose accuracy sooner than 18" due to gas port erosion.

Depends entirely on the types of matches YOU shoot. If everything is inside 200yds, it is likely to be a wash - 18" w/ rifle gas will be a little quicker recovering, 16" w/midlength/carbine gas will be a little quicker handling. At longer distances, the extra velocity and smoother recoil impulse of the 18" will start to matter (and the velocity difference can be significant depending on your ammo).

I'd suggest you run what you have until you have enough experience to make a decision, or get both and shoot them side-by-side.

Depends entirely on the types of matches YOU shoot. If everything is inside 200yds, it is likely to be a wash - 18" w/ rifle gas will be a little quicker recovering, 16" w/midlength/carbine gas will be a little quicker handling. At longer distances, the extra velocity and smoother recoil impulse of the 18" will start to matter (and the velocity difference can be significant depending on your ammo).

I'd suggest you run what you have until you have enough experience to make a decision, or get both and shoot them side-by-side.

My shooting buddy Nathan is pretty new to shooting. He has a 16" barrel, and I run a 20" barrel. WE have shot each others guns, and he didn't notice any difference in accuracy or shoot-ability between the 2. I have been shooting since I was 7, and am a former Marine. I was able to notice the difference. If you are a newer shooter, you may not notice much between the 2. Shoot what you have, and by the time you need a new barrel, you will be good enough to know what you want.

My choice goes against what most here will recommend for you, but it's what I like. You have to figure out what works for you.

A 14.5 will do anything an 18 will do for 3gun in and of itself. The difference is how it comes together in balance of the rifle and harmony of the gas system.

As a general rule apples to apples...you can drive shorter guns faster target to target but longer guns are easier to get fast and accurate shot splits.ymmv

A 14.5 will do anything an 18 will do for 3gun in and of itself. The difference is how it comes together in balance of the rifle and harmony of the gas system.

As a general rule apples to apples...you can drive shorter guns faster target to target but longer guns are easier to get fast and accurate shot splits.ymmv

I wish all my competition used 14.5" Bbls. ?

My TI/Limited 16" midlength is a lightweight profile barrel with adjustable gas, comp, and Taccom ULW buffer. My TO/Tactical 18" rifle gas is Rainier's "SPR" ultramatch barrel with the same adjustable gas block, a comp, and it has the JP silent captured system. Both has lightweight carriers.

16" gun is just under 6lbs with T1, 16.4" Lancer octagon shaped handguard, and no mag, feels flickable, fast to move with, and loses about 20fps from my 18" barrel. Granted it is a barrel with 400-500 rds thru it compared to my 18" that has 5-7000 this year, so maybe the 18" has lost a step, or maybe the 16" is just a little tight. Recoil impulse with the ULW system feels light and my splits run in the .12-15 range on close paper when I do my part (15 yards).

18" gun is around 10-12lbs with Vortex 1-6 and no mag, feels heavy but solid, slower onto the next target but doesn't budge when fired on that target twice. Only 20fps faster than my 16" barrel. Recoil impulse with the rifle length gas system is light, as expected, and when I finish rebuilding the upper (tore it down to use it's handguard for the 16") I'm wondering if it will recoil as light or lighter than the 16" when using the same ULW buffer system. Splits run in the same range at 15 yards.

"Long range" targets, its a wash with the 400 yards I've shot both at so far. I notice no benefit from added weight when shooting prone or shooting rested off of something since both guns shoot flat and sit still and are resting on another surface. I have used fencing, fence posts, T-posts, and my ramp prop to try both. I DO hook the mag over the front of the ramp when shooting off of it and can shoot just about the same regardless of what gun I grab since the gun locks into place.

side note....my 16" LaRue OBR in 5.56 is about 80fps slower than my 18" gun and has around 7000 rds thru it from the 2012 3-gun season.

• 2 months later...

I think that Eugene Stoner designed the whole system around a cartridge that was optimized in a 20" barrel. And the entire system was designed around a 20" barrel for reliability........but what did he know, I mean with that last name he must have been from Colorado.