Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 Power Factor ?

sandrooney

PF alone is not a good indicator of wear and tear since the same load with the same pressure will yield two different PFs. For instance the highest PF I've reached in my Gold Team V12 (5.25" barrel, 12 holes) is 164 which took 8.3gr of HS6 under a 124gr. I didn't even want to try that load in my CZ (5.1" barrel, no holes) since 7.7gr makes 178PF!

These findings make it clear to me why people say the Gold Team has a "soft slide" or "weak lugs"; the reality is that if they're running over 165PF in their GT it's the equivalent of running over 190PF in my CZ; I wouldn't expect and 9mm barrel/slide to last long with a steady diet of loads that hot.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I have found on the trubor I have to crank the pf up it like 177-178 to really get the comp working well with124 grain bullets. With 115 I can get it flat in the 172-173 range

What powder weight change did you make when switching to the 115?

Those truebores are hole deffficent, drill a couple #3 holes in it and crank it up to 175 pf and they work pretty good.

My 9 major has crooned at 189 pf, hasn't cranked anything yet.. Mostly I run around 175 pf it just shoots better at that level, 7.7gr of Silhouette if I drop the load to 7.4 I make major but it is bouncey, I guess I need to drill it!

I thought about going with holes, but as of right now all my dot does is wiggle a little so I guess if it aint broke don't fix it :-)

The dot should track up and down, this isn't a function of pf, it is more related to how well you grip the gun, more balanced that brute force, however I have found that side ways motion can also vary from one powder to the next, mine does a little sideways zig zag with AutoComp, but tracks straight up and down with Silhouette or HS6.

Your recoil spring has a lot to do with how well you shoot, the most popular is the 9#, I run a 10#, because the timer says I'm faster with a 10#.

It takes a good while shooting open to get your eyes fast enough to track the dot and even longer for you brain to comprehend it.

Personally I hate the holes, but from shooting the same gun with and without the holes, I'm DTD down to drill, it takes a lot of the flip off at the beginning of recoil, David Rea has a great post here a couple years ago about his Brazos with and without holes. The TrueBore in particular is under comped, so it needs that little bit of help IMHO, and that fat overweight slide need to be whacked down to fighting weight, then it is as good as anything out there..