Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening Trigger on a S&W 500?

56hawk

Any concerns with lightening the double action pull on a 500? I know 500s are capable of doing accidental double taps, just wondering if lightening any of the parts or springs could cause this or any other problems. This will be with 425 power factor ammo.

The X frame is not really any different than a K, L or N frame except for the size. As with the others, the only potential problem is light primer hits that don't fire the round. As with the others, don't lighten any springs besides the main and rebound.

Thanks, I did my own trigger job on my 625 and it turned out really nice. Just worried that with that much recoil things might bounce around without full weight springs. Not too worried about light strikes I'm using Federal primers and not going for a super light pull anyway.

I think the cause is that the finger is still pressing back on the trigger during recoil. The gun recoils so much that there's enough movement for the trigger to reset, all the while the operater is still holding back on the trigger. The result is as you see in the video.

I don't think it will be an issue with folks that have reasonable hand strength and have been around some heavier recoiling rounds in revolvers before. An action job certainly would not play into it (reduced rebound spring).

Edited by sbcman

I've heard of SA colts that were real loose on head space, doubling.

I would be careful due to the recoil. You definitely want to be able to set off all Primers on something like a 500.

The 500 isn't exactly a self defense or competition gun, so why the worry about the DA?

If you're talking of a push off, which is the action of pushing on the hammer while it's cocked and it falls without touching the trigger. It's caused by messing up the SA notch.

Edited by pskys2

Well, I dropped in a Wolff reduced power mainspring and rebound spring. Trigger pull went from 12 lbs down to 8 lbs and I haven't even polished anything yet. Took it to the range and went through 50 rounds without any problems. It's a lot more enjoyable to shoot now. :D

Well, I dropped in a Wolff reduced power mainspring and rebound spring. Trigger pull went from 12 lbs down to 8 lbs and I haven't even polished anything yet. Took it to the range and went through 50 rounds without any problems. It's a lot more enjoyable to shoot now. :D

I happened to be there when David showed up. It's not any more enjoyable to be around. It was starting to get dark. Talk about a fireball! David has his speed loaders ready to go for the next match. Oh boy!

I saw that video years ago, it always makes me ill to think how close someone came to getting killed. That second shot looks like it went backwards to me.

Looks like it happened to a woman in Missouri this past week.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/6724dbe87e70403cbe431cd18288aded/MO--Gun-Range-Death

What a crazy coincidence that this incident would happen just as we're discussing it here!

Sick as it sounds, this incident is probably on videotape also. From what I've seen on Youtube, there's a certain class of low-lifes who apparently think it's funny to hand a heavy-recoiling handgun to a woman and then videotape the gun bouncing off her forehead.

How much does it cost per round to reload 500? I cannot imagine shooting a whole match with one. I have a bad enough flinch now. lol

I was curious and It looks like an economical load would be a Speer 350 gr JSP that sells for $20.30 (50ct) when you can get them, Titegroup 11 to 18.5 gr, Hornady brass $35 for 50ct. (Starline is out with no backorder), large rifle primers.

So it looks like roughly one round would be about $1.23, $61.48 for 50.

Edited by toothguy

What a crazy coincidence that this incident would happen just as we're discussing it here!

Sick as it sounds, this incident is probably on videotape also. From what I've seen on Youtube, there's a certain class of low-lifes who apparently think it's funny to hand a heavy-recoiling handgun to a woman and then videotape the gun bouncing off her forehead.

I have no doubt that they are trying to make up for their inadequacies by picking someone of less strength and trying to make it a marksmanship thing. Over compensating tools for sure.

Prayers for the victim and hope the tools realize what they have done and have tormented thoughts for a long time!