Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

alternatives to sti adjustable rear sight? or did i just get unlucky?

motosapiens

after close to 4000 rds, the rear sight on my trojan gave up. the windage screw broke, allowing the sight to pretty much just fall out. Unfortunately, this happened on the 3rd to last stage of my first nationals, but at least it only affected the last few targets of the stage.

Is that common enough that I should consider some other alternative? Or are there just so many sti sights out there that a few of them are bound to break? I'm very picky about point-of-aim being the same on my various guns, so if I go to a fixed sight, I'll probably have to replace or file the front sight to get it where I want.

Not that a fixed sight is any panacea. The very next stage the fixed sight on my backup gun worked loose and resulted in a total train-wreck, but that ones on me. I have since peened the slide to create more friction in the fit, in case the set-screw vibrates loose again while riding in my car unused for weeks at a time.

To their credit, STI replaced the sight, and I absolutely LOVE everything about the gun otherwise, even the disappearing finish (lol). The only thing I don't love is the cascade of failure that cost me 10 or places.

Edited by motosapiens

I have four 1911 or 2011's with that same rear sight. Have not had the windage screw break on any of them, only the elevation screw on one but that was because the set screw came loose.

You're living proof that 3 is the new 2 in the phrase "Two is one and one is none"!

My Trojan ((40 cal) has many thousands of rounds through it.

I went with a 160 tall front sight though.

My other guns 2011 and 1911 (.40 cal and .45 cal) with 180 tall front sights have all suffered rear "Bomar style" breakage or other issues at the hinge pin.Either the hinge pins break or they begin to walk out . . peening works . .

The Trojan with the 160 tall F/S has yet to fail.

It seems likely to me that the rear sight sitting lower for POI ( not 6 o'clock hold) in the Bomar cut out appears to keep the sight from being subjected to less stress from recoil laterally and horizontally . . .

The sights I have had fail with the 180 tall f/s were Bomar (.45 cal) Les Baer. 45 cal, STI (.40 cal) . . . .

I'm sure others can weigh in with other helpful insight.

It is noteworthy that when I ordered the FO F/S for the Trojan from Dawson, that Dawson suggested the 160 tall sight as the better choice.

I too am looking for a better rear sight for my 1911. The original STI rear on my Trojan first had the left hand side barrel nut (holding the windage screw) come loose. Next it had the "set" pin for the windage screw keep working it's way out of the right side of the sight.

I replaced the STI with a Fusion, and immediately had the hinge pin work it's way loose. This has been peened into place twice and seems to have settled down, but now the barrel nut on it (holding the windage screw) is loose (just like the original STI). I've applied liberal amounts of locktite (threadlock strength) to that barrel nut in hopes that it will stay put.

I'm searching for better options, but word on the street (ok: word at the matches from the likes of Nils and others) is that all of these sights come from the same place in China and one is as good (or as bad) as the other. I don't want to have to go to a fixed sight, but lack of trust in one's sights is not a good thing.

-ivan-

after close to 4000 rds, the rear sight on my trojan gave up. the windage screw broke, allowing the sight to pretty much just fall out. Unfortunately, this happened on the 3rd to last stage of my first nationals, but at least it only affected the last few targets of the stage.

Is that common enough that I should consider some other alternative? Or are there just so many sti sights out there that a few of them are bound to break? I'm very picky about point-of-aim being the same on my various guns, so if I go to a fixed sight, I'll probably have to replace or file the front sight to get it where I want.

Not that a fixed sight is any panacea. The very next stage the fixed sight on my backup gun worked loose and resulted in a total train-wreck, but that ones on me. I have since peened the slide to create more friction in the fit, in case the set-screw vibrates loose again while riding in my car unused for weeks at a time.

To their credit, STI replaced the sight, and I absolutely LOVE everything about the gun otherwise, even the disappearing finish (lol). The only thing I don't love is the cascade of failure that cost me 10 or places.

I never heard of the screws failing but the hinge pin (that the sight pivots vertically on) break frequently. They are made out of brittle steel and they shear at one end or the other. Screws don't usually fail. Edited by bountyhunter

Typically the pivot pin is usually the weakest point of the sight, I would go Dawson or Ed Brown for a replacement.

I had a Bomar replacement Ed Brown elevation screw head break off. That was after the original Bomars lost the windage barrel nut. I am glad I was able to go back to reliable red dots. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

one thing to try that will reduce breakage is to put a small piece of rubber underneath the rear sight at the rear (cut an a small o-ring, or something similar) then tighten down the elevation screw on it so it is just snug. The rubber will act as a buffer and take the play out of the sight thus making hinge pins last much longer, it should help with the 2 other screws as well as they will not be constantly stressed by bouncing each time the slide cycles.

I've had 4 STI rear adjustable sights either have the elevation screw break or hinge pin walk out...even when peened. Switched to Wilson Combat/Bomar copy on 3 guns and never had a problem since. I'm sure they do break but have MUCH better results. YMMV

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

Check out the SV rear sights with the notches cut out on the side. Not cheap but VERY well made.

The SV uses a screw instead of a pin, but the screw backed out the one I bought. I've had good luck with the Champion sights, but I have a feeling many of these different brands are made by the same manufacturer.

It's a shame the Tripp design didn't work out. That was a sexy sight that didn't have some of the inherent problems of the Bomar design. Unfortunately, it had problems of its own.