Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI mags rusting

scottlep

I have 3 brand new STI 140mm 9mm mags I just bought. I pulled them out yesterday to load them for a steel match and they all had a light coating of surface rust. I would think this is not normal considering they are supposed to be stainless steel. I used them a few times for practice and shot one match with them. Never used them in the rain and they have never hit wet ground. I have two older mags that were stored in the same mag pouch and those did not have any rust on them...only the new ones did. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by scottlep

I also though it was odd that the older ones didn't rust and the newer ones did. Manufacturing problem? Maybe STI is using cheaper or different stainless? I am going to call STI later today to get their opinion.

I also though it was odd that the older ones didn't rust and the newer ones did. Manufacturing problem? Maybe STI is using cheaper or different stainless? I am going to call STI later today to get their opinion.

Please post what they say.

I doubt it is sweat. I do wipe down everything after I shoot and I also have dozens of other stainless mags for other guns that have never rusted.

If they rust on the outside, I am guessing that they are also rusting on the inside which will impact the function of the mags at some point. It's hard to believe that mags that are this expensive and are supposed to be stainless steel will rust. I will wait to see what STI says when I call them today and then post their answer here.

cheap stainless steel -- RUSTS ..

Any stainless can rust, lower grades are more prone to rust. Stainless is rust resistant, not proof. In higher humidity enviornments or acidic enviornments it really needs a coating to prevent rust.

Yes, I am well aware that stainless steel can rust. I guess my point is that for what these mags cost, one would assume they wouldn't rust. Like I said, I have dozens of other stainless mags that have all seen much more use, cared for and cleaned in the same way, and are stored in the same environment and not one of those has a single speck of rust on them.

I just had the same thing happen, throw them in a tumbler for a few hours and they look better than new. I left mine in the garage next to my SV mags, the STI's looked horrible after 2 nights and the SV's looked just as good as the day I got them (and they had been out there for a month at least)

I tumble my mags on a regular basis, it gets the inside good and clean, and you can feel the difference when loading them. yes, I use an Arrrendondo brush every time they hit the ground but powder residue I think builds up in them towards the top. My old mags rust don't have any new ones, but the tumbler takes care of that.

I saw some rust build up on my mags. I used Scotch brite pads (non metal) and some oil to remove the rust. When I store my mags, I place them in a zip loc bag with a small desiccant pack. Haven't seen rust ever since.

I don't have an answer to your rust problem however I have a solution the may help. Eezox is a good lubricant and rust preventive. After applying it the carrier will evaporate, then just wipe it down and you're good to go. And thanks guys for the tumbler tip.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a bunch of STI mags and they all have various degrees of rust (all new within the last 2 years). My buddies have SV mags and they don't have these problems. All said and done, tubes, base pads and followers they (SV) don't cost much more than a tweaked STI mag.