Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to tablet scoring. Which device is the best?

RAZZ

I am looking to get set up to do scoring via tablet, and was wondering what device, those of you who are using them, like best. I have shot matches with clubs using the Nook, and they seemed problematic--not very intuitive, screens hard to read once they got hot, freezing up while inputting scores, etc. The FN 3-gun match last month used Palms (I think) and they seemed much nicer, but I'm not sure if the extra cost is worth it.

So what's the best?

The fn devices were not palms, cause no one makes them anymore, and they had issues with battery life and screens in the light. The basic nook is probably the best device right now. If money is no object the iPad minis.

• 2 weeks later...

Nooks for inputing scores, a tablet or iPad for use with Bluetooth keyboard for adding those last minute registrations.

Nooks- pros- great battery life, screen is easiest to read in the sun, cheap, larger screen and less likely to see damage to the screen from a dropped device. cons- rain drops on the screen confuse the sensors (keep it dry under a cover or an umbrella- rarely does the scorekeeper HAVE to go downrange), if a shooter is careless enough to leave it in direct sun it MIGHT shut down. That said, we have been using them in south Georgia all year and I have only seen it once.

Some say the Nook is "slow", not really- it is just the type of screen and how it refreshes. That is what makes it so good in the sun.

All others have many of the same cons and few of the pros.

We've been using Nooks for almost a year, scoring monthly USPSA, Outlaw Steel, ICORE, and Mini Steel matches. They have been very reliable, but as mentioned, even a small drop of water on the screen messes with the IR sensor, so keep them dry.

I would like to try a Kindle or other cheap Android device, as most would not have to be rooted like the Nooks.

Edited by jdphotoguy

• 2 weeks later...

Our club uses an iPad as the master and then Google Nexus tablets for each stage. I'm not sure which specific Nexus they use though. At home I mess around with Practiscore on an iPad and Kindle Fire. I think I like it better on the iPad because I can connect a wireless blue tooth keyboard which makes data entry faster. I've tried to connect the same keyboard to my Kindle but it won't connect for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to keep bugging everyone with questions but there appears to be a bunch of different models of nooks. Is one better suited than another?

We bought the Nook Simple Touch, easy to root (allows you to install apps on device), cheap, long battery life, and easy to read in direct sunlight.

Thanks!

What's the reason one would use an ipad for data entry / registration, as opposed to a laptop?

Competitor registration on a rooted nook is a miserable experience; if you MUST register people directly into practiscore then you want a large format touch-capacitive screen.

Our match flow at South River Gun Club, however, it to get as many people as possible to register ahead of time at shootnscoreit.com. Then the night before the match, download that data and create a new ezwinscore match on a laptop that you can take to the range the next day. Print competitor listings out of that in alpha order to use as a check-off list.

At the range the next day, take the same laptop and register any walkup competitors directly into ezwinscore. Two reasons for this. One is the aforementioned misery of typing on a nook. The other is that ezwinscore still beats EVERY other squadding presentation system out there; dragging and dropping competitors from squad to squad is something that practiscore just cannot match. Yes, I could match a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad and register that way, but ezws still has the superior squadding facility.

After everyone is registered, use your method of choice to get the match from ezws to the practiscore master tablet. We use Chris Wren's ezws2ps.exe (http://tinymicros.com/wiki/ezws2ps) to create a practiscore .psc match file directly from the ezwinscore match file. I use an iPad as my master and just open up a browser to a webpage hosted on the laptop that contains links to the generated .psc files. Tap on the one of my choice, and the iPad offers to open up the .psc file in practiscore. Do so, set any NPM targets that you may have in your stages, and then you're ready to distribute the match from the master to the nooks or whatever using regular synching.

Thanks!

What's the reason one would use an ipad for data entry / registration, as opposed to a laptop?

We use the Nooks strictly for scoring. A Nexus 7 and/or iPad for registration and as the Master device.

Like others, we have an online preregistration system, we greatly speeds up registration the day of the match.

Has anyone tried the nook HD? Is it better for the touch screen? I know it is more $$$$ but with Black Friday coming......

After reading all of the stuff on here about the Nooks and what a pain they are to work with I'd look at Nexus tablets instead. At our club we use an iPad as master for USPSA and some sort of Android tablet (not sure which) as master for Steel Challenge because Practiscore doesn't support Steel Challenge on iOS devices yet. I currently have a Kindle Fire HD that's my personal tablet I use but I'm looking to pick up a Nexus on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Has anyone tried the nook HD? Is it better for the touch screen? I know it is more $$$$ but with Black Friday coming......

No, not after B&N announced it was dropping the HD and HD+ last June.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57590877-93/barnes-noble-bails-out-on-nook-tablet-biz/?tag=nl.e703&s_cid=e703&ttag=e703&ftag=

Edited by wgnoyes

Hate to keep bugging everyone with questions but there appears to be a bunch of different models of nooks. Is one better suited than another?

We bought the Nook Simple Touch, easy to root (allows you to install apps on device), cheap, long battery life, and easy to read in direct sunlight.

We use the same... Nook Simple Touch for the exact reasons listed above. They ran for three days straight during the Michigan Sectional Championship and didn't need a battery charge. The few problems were operator induced and easily corrected.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

No, not after B&N announced it was dropping the HD and HD+ last June.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57590877-93/barnes-noble-bails-out-on-nook-tablet-biz/?tag=nl.e703&s_cid=e703&ttag=e703&ftag=

I picked up 2... Small local club and we will see how it works for us....

The only problems I have had with the nooks have been HUMAN errors. I apparently did not fully charge two units last month and had to use my back-up and master to complete the match, we have had people that cannot seem to read the name of the shooter they are scoring and have scored the wrong person on the stage. we have peole that can't seem to input a decimal point so times of 17.75 become 1175.00 seconds! We ask that people PLEASE input the DQ and write it on their squad lists after gettinghte RM to confirm, they don't alwways.

If I could just plug in a keyboard to a Nook and send an immediate email from it to post the scores I would be darn near happy!

The only problems I have had with the nooks have been HUMAN errors. I apparently did not fully charge two units last month and had to use my back-up and master to complete the match,

Did you leave them in sleep mode the entire month? That still drains power, albeit not much, but apparently enough to cause you that hassle. I turn mine off completely after the match is over, and I'm fully convinced I could take them to the range again the following month and score the next club match successfully without recharging. Regardless, I charge them up again anyway.

we have had people that cannot seem to read the name of the shooter they are scoring and have scored the wrong person on the stage.

Yeah, I see that too. What we need is a way to cancel out of score entry when you realize you're on the wrong competitor, and right now you don't have that. You're stuck and have to save it as is. That's VERY bad.

we have peole that can't seem to input a decimal point so times of 17.75 become 1175.00 seconds!

Yeah, well, the keyboard could be better defined, too. The upper-RH 'dot' key looks like period to me, but it's not. The 2nd down on the right is the period key. You learn that from experience. But the keyboard is part of the operating system and as far as I know, cannot be enhanced.

We ask that people PLEASE input the DQ and write it on their squad lists after gettinghte RM to confirm, they don't always.

Okay, on a club match, I agree, else you don't know what happened and the guy has stages missing and you have no clue, and a classifier might get sent in for a DQ'ed competitor. At a major match, I want that handled the normal way. RM comes to the stage, verifies the DQ, and brings stats the DQ scoresheet with reason and date/timestamp by the rulebook and we handle the DQ there in the master.

If I could just plug in a keyboard to a Nook and send an immediate email from it to post the scores I would be darn near happy!

Well, we're already jabbing a device in the side with a fork to make it do things for which it was NEVER intended! For what it is, I think it does all right. :)