Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to tablet scoring. Which device is the best?

RAZZ

Bill,

We are largely infact almost 100% in agreement here.

As for the DQ issue. We ask that the squad's RO come and get eiother myself or the other MD/RM, we go over an dmake sure the DQ'd person understands why and that there is no problem otherwise and we also ask that the DQ and it's reason be writtein on the squad list so that we hae a hard copy record.

The keyboard issue is what it is and I do understand that we have successfully managed to make a silk purse or at least a really nice leather bag out of a pig's ear here with respect to the Nook.

I normally shut all the nooks down each month and charge them up two days prior to use. I beleive that it was my error on this last month. I dod not shut them down an dthey did drain. I was opening them up mutliple times for some issues the previous month so I never fully shut them down and I must not have charged two ofhtem fully.

The human error issue will always exst until, well until we are no longer human I suppose, I do know that the number of errors is hugly reduced since we went to electronic scoring, even the Palms were better than paper.

I thikn I am going to look into a slightly different method of using the nooks next month. It will take some training in the filed, but we are going to try squads rather than one large group. and since it is so easy to load the master and syc these as opposed to the Palms I plan on deleting the no shows or putting them in an 8th squad so that if tey arrive late tehy are still in teh system.

Anyway, next step is to Root hte 5 new units I just got so I have 2 per stage as well as a Master. This will allow me the redundancy I like to have.

Thank you for your help with this as I am not really much of a computer person. I can get around in programs ok, but not so much in systems.

Well check out rootnscoreit.com for a rooting system that is just flat out silly-easy. This one is so good it's even worth going back and re-rooting your others so that you're running the same thing across the board.

As to no-shows, I stick them in squad 98 or something that people won't confuse with the real shooters while the match is being conducted. I don't delete them, just in case one of them shows up in which case I'll tell them to try to catch up and tell the guy with the tablet to look for him in squad 98. About half way through the match when I'm certain no one is going to come dragging in that late (at which point I would just tell them try harder next month, thanks for coming by), then I'll go into the competitor list on the master and delete all those out of squad 98. (Nothing needs to be done with the stage nooks for that.)

You were one of the great proponents of palm scoring; I wanted to make sure you had at least as good an experience (and hopefully far better) with practiscore on whatever platform you ended up with.

Oh and for what it's worth, I'm running PS 1.2.5. 1.2.7 is probably good (it comes with rootnscoreit). 1.2.6, 1.2.8, and the current 1.2.9 have all turned up issues, documented elsewhere around here.

Bill,

Thank you for the info. I will be in Georgia for the next few days, when I get home I will run the rooting program and depending upon how it works, I might re-root the other 9 units. When done. I'll have Nooks enough to run a match with 2 units per stage. Palms were so much better than paper, and nooks frankly put them to shame. What we need is a concise list of needs not wants and to get them accomplished. then we can look at wants

As to no-shows, I stick them in squad 98 or something that people won't confuse with the real shooters while the match is being conducted.

You know sometimes it's the simple things that you overlook. This past weekend we had some no-shows at the 3-gun match we ran and I never thought to move the no-shows to a different squad. I'll do that from now on.

FWIW, I have 1.2.10 for testing. If there's something you or anyone else would like for me to check with it shoot me a PM and I'll check it out for you. So far I have confirmed one of the bugs I reported has been fixed in it. The other I'm testing now.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone use one of the protective covers or cases for their nooks? Does that make it more difficult to use? Other than cost, is there a drawback to using one of the nicer model nooks--such as the color version?

Also, I'm looking at a basic android tablet for data entry, along with a plug-in keyboard. Anyone have any suggestions on brand or model?

Edited by RAZZ

Chris Wren found some basic wraparound cases for nooks. (NOTHING can cover the screen itself; the device won't work.) Honestly, the tactile non-slip surface of the nook is enough for most people to be able to hang onto it, and when you really think about it, we pay way more than what a nook costs ($39 to $79) for a typical timer and we don't run around trying to find cases for those. Nooks are tough; you don't have to baby them like you do regular tablets.

As to regular android tablets, are you wanting to run practiscore on it? If so, what is the keyboard for? You can't key in actual scores with a keyboard, so the only thing it would be useful for is competitor registration, and you'll be jumping back and forth between the keyboard and the screen. If you want a quality tablet, I'd look at Google Nexus 7's or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3's or some variety of kindle fire. But if you pay much more than what those cost, at that point you might as well just cough up the bit extra and get a 1st generation iPad mini and run the iOS version of practiscore.

Chris Wren found some basic wraparound cases for nooks. (NOTHING can cover the screen itself; the device won't work.) Honestly, the tactile non-slip surface of the nook is enough for most people to be able to hang onto it, and when you really think about it, we pay way more than what a nook costs ($39 to $79) for a typical timer and we don't run around trying to find cases for those. Nooks are tough; you don't have to baby them like you do regular tablets.

As to regular android tablets, are you wanting to run practiscore on it? If so, what is the keyboard for? You can't key in actual scores with a keyboard, so the only thing it would be useful for is competitor registration, and you'll be jumping back and forth between the keyboard and the screen. If you want a quality tablet, I'd look at Google Nexus 7's or Samsung Galaxy Tab 3's or some variety of kindle fire. But if you pay much more than what those cost, at that point you might as well just cough up the bit extra and get a 1st generation iPad mini and run the iOS version of practiscore.

We'd be using the tablet for shooter entry / registration at the range--those who didn't pre-register.