Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIP Tom Clancy

Sarge

I met Tom Clancy at a book signing when Red Storm Rising was just out. I have a signed copy. I got a chance to talk to him for about 15 min as the store didn't close until 10 and it was after 9 PM and pretty quiet. He told me an interesting story about Hunt for Red October. He had sent it in to many publishers without any interest. One day, he was having lunch with a friend of his who worked for the U.S. Naval Institute. They publish nautical non-fiction and specialized text books used at the Naval Academy and for R.O.T.C. He asked his friend if they were ever interested in publishing nautical fiction. As it turned out, at the most recent editorial board meeting, they had decided to publish 2 novels. Tom submitted his book and the rest is history.

I was there with a friend, another submariner. We were amazed at how much he got right with no background in submarines.

I met Tom Clancy at a book signing when Red Storm Rising was just out. I have a signed copy. I got a chance to talk to him for about 15 min as the store didn't close until 10 and it was after 9 PM and pretty quiet. He told me an interesting story about Hunt for Red October. He had sent it in to many publishers without any interest. One day, he was having lunch with a friend of his who worked for the U.S. Naval Institute. They publish nautical non-fiction and specialized text books used at the Naval Academy and for R.O.T.C. He asked his friend if they were ever interested in publishing nautical fiction. As it turned out, at the most recent editorial board meeting, they had decided to publish 2 novels. Tom submitted his book and the rest is history.

I was there with a friend, another submariner. We were amazed at how much he got right with no background in submarines.

Thanks for sharing. RIP Sr. Clancy.

Yes, from '87-90 I was stationed at Holy Loch Scotland. Met Mr. Clancy when the Navy allowed him access. It was just a handshake and a hi, but it's hard to explain just how big a deal he was to the average Sailor. And yes, as mentioned, no one could figure out how he got so much right about submarines and such. I have always enjoyed his books and recently started the younger Ryan series.

R. I. P.