Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many SG rounds do you carry on a stage?

pmt

New guy gearing up for matches here. I've got a Beretta 1301 with a Nordic+4. Looking at AP shell carriers, but I'm not sure how many I need. How many rounds is a 'typical' shotgun stage? I know nothing is typical, and stages can be multigun, so would 9 at the start and 10 on the belt be a good starting point for me?...Should I order two L2/6's or two L2/4's, or one of each? thanks for any advice.

The thing about Multigun is you have options....if you're great at running and loading a shotgun and that's what you opt for, I'd say no less than 12 on the belt.

At FNH, most of the time I only had 8 (8 round carbon arms pinwheel), but I have two more that I can tack on if needed giving me 24 rounds total.

The only time I think I would ever need 24 rounds on the belt plus 9 in the gun is at a shotgun match. But that is exactly why I bought three. For three gun, 12-16 rounds should be sufficient.

Except for a major mental malfunction I had at FNH, I usually bring enough ammo with me to ensure that if a gun goes down, I can still shoot everything on the stage.

Edited by Onagoth

Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, all shotgun stage, 44 rounds on the belt + 9 to start.

Brave man Dan!

I carried 64 plus 9...

jj

You drive to the match! Not to mention set that stage up.
No excuse...

You know I would have loaned you more shell carriers...

jj

Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, all shotgun stage, 44 rounds on the belt + 9 to start.

Brave man Dan!

I carried 64 plus 9...

jj

You drive to the match! Not to mention set that stage up.
No excuse...

You know I would have loaned you more shell carriers...

jj

Did I say that I ran out of ammo? I'd rather you loaned me oxygen! :roflol:

New guy gearing up for matches here. I've got a Beretta 1301 with a Nordic+4. Looking at AP shell carriers, but I'm not sure how many I need. How many rounds is a 'typical' shotgun stage? I know nothing is typical, and stages can be multigun, so would 9 at the start and 10 on the belt be a good starting point for me?...Should I order two L2/6's or two L2/4's, or one of each? thanks for any advice.

When I was first gearing up, I only got three 4-round caddies. This was fine for most matches, especially local ones. About 6 months after that I ended up getting 3 4-round pinwheels. So then I could get 24 on the belt.

I was glad I only got 3 to start, so then as I figured out what worked I got more. So try to use some of your friends' caddies and see what you like. With so many new options for load 2/4, I would be hesitant to buy too many caddies too early.

Thanks Doc. I have two old 6-round caddies and hate them. 6 is too tall - I can only grab 4 at a time ...and I'm real slow loading with my strong hand. I want to try the AP L2 system with weak hand. I'm just trying to decide on quantity, but right now it doesn't matter as everywhere I've looked is out of stock.

Starting out I'd recommend being able to carry 12 rounds, but get a longer tube on the gun. Having shot a gun with 7 rd capacity it really makes me appreciate the 12 rd capacity I have now!

Also, you may decide you like one type of caddy better than another too so don't "invest" too much in one type to start.

Yesterday we had a wonderful stage with 2 long range slug targets to start, followed by 20 knockdown steels along a 30 yard path, ending with 2 more slug targets. I carried 3 - 6 round twins caddies and a 4 round otto. Loaded them all except for one slug.

I usually recommend people buy one to start and work with it for a bit. We sell a lot of 8 and 10 round units singly and then folks buy more once they are comfortable with their choice. Sometimes we get a group that then buys a 24 or 16 round backbone to share.

I like to have 4 to 6 more rounds than the stage needs typically. So if I need to shoot 12, I'll put a 8 round pinwheel on the belt. On the 44 round shotgun stage at RM3G, I had 65 rounds with me total and shot 54. kind of had a bad stage, but there were lots of moving targets and I put 2 round out to get several of those.

+1 on the 16 plus 9 for and club match and most nationals. I run 2 8UP Dualoads and keep 4 AP Classics in my bag for going prone, managing slugs and buck or loaners. It is doubtful that you won't find a 3 gunner that is willing to load you a caddy or 2 during a match if push comes to shove.

At the California Action Shotgun Challenge yesterday, there wasn't a stage with fewer than 24 rounds... A mix of Slug & Birdshot, Buck & bird, or all bird shot...

Personally, I use 5 - 6 packs and a single AP custom 3x3. 36 rds total.. I like to be able to carry several options in case I find my usual shells do not put down specific kinds of steel.

I carried 3 - 4rd carriers on me today and I was fine. Some evil match directors might give you a 20+ count SG stage.

I start every stage with 23 , in 2 coupled mags, if need be I have a leg holster that holds another 2 coupled mags of 23.

for the REALLY FUN SG stages :goof: , I can hang another set of mags off my belt, 23(actually 2 if need be) for a total of 69 (or 92) total.

I have shot several stages with 50+ SG on a stage. I think 57 targets was the most.

Edited by toothandnail

OK, looks like I'm going to invest in two L2/6's to start, and have my two 6 round caddies for backup.

I went with the L2/4 because I like to cant them, and I thought that the L2/6 may not work out that well for me. Plus I use ELS clips, and the way the spacing is on my belt, I thought the L2/4 would fit better. Granted I could have spaced the ELS plates farther apart, but I didnt want to go that route.

Have you already ordered the L2/6's?

Do you shoot 3 gun out at Rio? If so, I will be out there next weekend, if you want to check mine out. Also I have quads if you are interested in checking those out.